Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Ohhhhh yes please! :)

Where is that graphic from, if you don't mind me asking?

Bish

Nick F put it together.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Whether snow or rain forms and if it turns to ice, roads could be especially tricky overnight and tomorrow morning with much quieter roads than normal due to the Christmas holidays and thus particularly overnight not many cars to work any grit or rain could wash any away!

Posted

A depression will track southeastwards across England and Wales during Boxing Day, clearing southeast England overnight. A spell of snow is likely, even to lower levels, on the northern flank of this depression. South of the depression centre, rain will fall, heavy at times.

There is more confidence now in the track of the depression, the main uncertainty revolving around the balance between rain and snow, which depends on the intensity. Where snow does occur accumulations of 2 to 4 cm are likely even to lower levels, with more than 10 cm on high ground. There is the risk of 10-15 cm, even at low levels, parts of Wales and the Midlands being most at risk.

...So anything between 2-4, 10 or 10-15cms lol

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1419552000&regionName=wm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

track is very similar to my snowfest of 19th Nov '96, but the massive difference is air no where near as cold, and the timing is evening rather than morning

so it will definitely start as rain, unlike the all snow of Nov '96

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Looks like a line from suffolk to north Hereford northwards to see 3-8cm of  snowfall.

8cm for you.

what about me Matty? i'm very low down here, often I miss out and the Staffs moorlands get it

Posted

Another very fine Euro 06z. :)

Indeed it is! Showing mostly snow for north of Birmingham after an initial period of rain, uppers never get above -3c, surface temps stay around freezing after 6pm.

Either way, tomorrow morning will be an ice rink if roads aren't properly treated.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Think certainly higher parts of the region could do well out of this. My guesses would be 10cm or more for Peak District, about 5cms for Black Country, and my old hunting ground near Cannock etc.

Probably about an inch for lower ground between say 50 and 150m, eg Solihull.

Probably slush for areas lower than this or rain/sleet.

Posted

I imagine Castle Ring up the road from me will do nicely at 600ft up, a little elevation can work wonders.

Posted

Looking good for you guys in the midlands : ) I expect some isolated low lying spots to get 15cm.

Just hope the precipitation is a little further north so us in yorkshire get some two ; )

Posted

Buxton should do well out of this, hoping its mostly snow here... Its 2c no breeze... Just filled bird feeders, my garden is now innundated.... Time to make turkey n gammon pie, open a bottle of wine and listen to footy on radio...

• Like 2

Posted

Buxton should do well out of this, hoping its mostly snow here... Its 2c no breeze... Just filled bird feeders, my garden is now innundated.... Time to make turkey n gammon pie, open a bottle of wine and listen to footy on radio...

Don't you just love Boxing Day? Even better with snow on the cards!

• Like 2

Posted

All this talk about elevation you will not need much at all... once the PPN gets going temperatures will remain suppressed. Latest EURO4 is very good for your region some can expect 6-7" more widely 1"-3".

• Like 1