The Midlands - Weather Chat

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A cold clear day, With everything still frozen. A few shots while out walking earlier. Temp 0.4c Dp -1.9c WC 0.2c

METO should have followed the map 

Great Longstone at 11.00am this morning pretty difficult journey, what with fog and blowing snow very tricky approx. 20 to 25cms   also plenty of vids from Beeley Moor most are at 250m to 350mtrs

Posted Images

Where about's in south Leicestershire?

Willoughby waterleys.

I don't even think the snow is wet. (though there is plenty of dripping going on and puddles outside). A snowflake hit the end of my temperature probe and it immediately dropped to -2.5c. Should cool the roads pretty quickly you would think and allow it to settle... yet no signs of settling yet. Can't be long though with it this heavy.

Heavy snow here in oadby leicester! ! Settling readily!!

Really is it settling ? I'm about 5 miles from you and it is not settling. Heavy yes, but not settling yet. Roads are very wet. 
Edited by kmanmx

Willoughby waterleys.

I don't even think the snow is wet. (though there is plenty of dripping going on and puddles outside). A snowflake hit the end of my temperature probe and it immediately dropped to -2.5c. Should cool the roads pretty quickly you would think and allow it to settle... yet no signs of settling yet. Can't be long though with it this heavy.

Really is it settling ? I'm about 5 miles from you and it is not settling. Heavy yes, but not settling yet. Roads are very wet.

It settled in some areas here yet not in others.

Okay so what the actually heck is going on. My roof is -0.5c, measured with highly accurate thermometer. And yet water is rolling down and off the sheets of slate.

Some serious voodoo magic here guys. You know you are in the Midlands when snow can't settle on sub zero surfaces.

It settled in some areas here yet not in others.

The only place I can see anything settling is car windscreens.
Edited by kmanmx

He's probably referring to Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. They saw a good 1-2 foot of snow from streamers coming in off the North Sea. While Leicestershire saw a dusting. We did get around 3 inches later on in December though.

Yes can confirm in Mansfield easily had well over a foot off the streamers that kept coming in day after day after day after ...

• Like 2

Basically this island is crape at winter lets be honest. Not going to waste my time anymore.

Dunno I'm in mourning for the snow, donning me dove grey gloves to sweep the sleet off the windscreen, ...... I'll get me coat.... Edited by snefnug

Is that in oadby? Oadby always gets it more than here (thurmaston), higher ground?

I do miss living there - e midlands was a good spot in the seventies and eighties for snow. Dot think it's done so well over the past few colder winters. Glad you're something tonight. Miserable and drizzly in the tropical sarf!

It is chucking it down with snow in leicester!!

Definitely some evaporative cooling taking place there. The Net Weather radar says just sleet for Leicester right now but it just shows, during heavy bursts it can be snow.