Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

i cant get to excited, the last cold spell was a damp chilly squib, cant see this one being any different, the favoured spots im sure will get snow but i think down here will miss out again.

GFS 06z was an cold outlier, just fancied a ramp, expecting it to change on the 12z to something more akin to ECM/UKMO.

Posted

12z GFS is an excellent run for snow over our region, it all starts on Weds afternoon when the cold front clears south east, behind it we will see a barage of snow showers from the NW. GFS usually underdoes precip amounts and also how far they eastwards then precip gets, so these charts are an absolute joy to see.

60-779UK.GIF?26-1269-779UK.GIF?26-12

What I like about the overnight period into Thursday is that the isobars shift from originally being NW to due W, this will mean streamers will shift around with the windflow meaning places that havent already seen some snow may see some action later on. We have seen plenty of cold PM blasts so far this winter but this one looks like its going to trump the rest as the uppers are a solid -7c across the region with a very strong wind off the Irish sea.The showers look set to continue throughout Thursday although the upper 850 temps look to lower somewhat which could mean showers become more sleety at sea level but this might not be the case

66-602UK.GIF?26-1263-7UK.GIF?26-12

Overnight into Friday we then see a shortwave moving down the east coast with cold uppers (-5/6) wrapped around bringing a possibly prolonged period of snow to eastern areas. The track and PPN type is likely to change but I'm just posting what the 12z shows currently.

84-7UK.GIF?26-1284-779UK.GIF?26-12

That takes us to 90 hours so I wont go any further as details are likely to chop and change over the next few days. All in all a bit of something for everyone but definitely an interesting cold snap coming up.

• Like 5

Posted

Yes, could be some significant accumulations for the pennies regions. Looks good for pretty much anywhere seeing a dusting to a covering of snow, especially those with distance north and west. Reckon i'll be too far south for when winds veer westerly, although still hoping to achieve a dusting. West Yorkshire the best location   

GEM highlights another potential snow event on Friday

gemfr-2-96.png?12

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Now thats what you call on Northerly on the 12z!!!! -10 uppers and lots of disturbances giving snow to all areas. DONT YOU DARE DOWNGRADE!!! :p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

i cant get to excited, the last cold spell was a damp chilly squib, cant see this one being any different, the favoured spots im sure will get snow but i think down here will miss out again.

I like your reverse psychology!

Seriously though this setup is much more potent and far less marginal than what we had last week.

Am I right in thinking even your area is covered by the Met Office warning issued earlier today?

I firmly believe our region is in for a pretty severe spell of weather over the next week or so with some strong winds and at times some heavy snow.

You can't beat drifting snow with a big windchill! Indeed, I would imagine that some Pennine areas may be having to dig themselves out by this time next week!

Yes that is a ramp but looking at the latest model output I believe it is a justified one!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Met office is saying rain only for my area on wednesday and thursday but they also have a snow warning issued. Eh?

Posted

I like your reverse psychology!

Seriously though this setup is much more potent and far less marginal than what we had last week.

Am I right in thinking even your area is covered by the Met Office warning issued earlier today?

I firmly believe our region is in for a pretty severe spell of weather over the next week or so with some strong winds and at times some heavy snow.

You can't beat drifting snow with a big windchill! Indeed, I would imagine that some Pennine areas may be having to dig themselves out by this time next week!

Yes that is a ramp but looking at the latest model output I believe it is a justified one!

well i hope the met office forecast for thurs/friday changes then, heavy rain showers are forecast for here, and we are not in the met office warning area so things are not looking overly cold or snowy

Edited by sparky1972

Posted

Yorkshire should do really well out of this.

Showers should push well inland right towards costal district.

Most areas should wake up to at least a covering on TThursday.

Friday looks a touch marginal so maybe more of a wintry flavour than a snowy one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

fingers crossed for all of our region seeing some snow, im already happy with this winter and the snow i have already had, so i hope the snow starved areas of the region can enjoy some in the coming days :)  :yahoo:  :cold:

• Like 2

Posted

Just looking at live webcam in New York...oh dear the storm is just starting...state of emergency issued, no cars allowed on roads after 11pm....jealous?  Yep just a tad.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Just looking at live webcam in New York...oh dear the storm is just starting...state of emergency issued, no cars allowed on roads after 11pm....jealous?  Yep just a tad.

haha i have just been showing kids them, we are all very jealous lol :)

Posted

Ground frost this evening - so just the one night with no frost.  Warm spell!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Ground frost this evening - so just the one night with no frost.  Warm spell!

Hi your not far from me ,looking good for our location for wintery weather if you like it,I live in Bridlington hope to test out my Subaru AWD lol.

Posted

Hoping all in Lincs and to the coast get a good dosing this time I feel really guilty hogging all the snow up here

Posted

Great viewing isn't it. I've got the winter storm juno live feed on TWC and Times square cam on. Will be mental later on tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Im so jealous of NY lol, they are in for a real blizzard. We just play at it in the UK. We'll never experience those conditions sadly :( Its fun to watch the live web cams though!

However, its not all doom and gloom because amazingly, were already approaching another very cold and potentially snowy spell, very soon after the last one. Cant grumble at that for the UK :D

Snow could pile up, we do need to see troughs and features tracking south though for most areas to see a good covering. There is a good chance of this though I think. Weds night into Thursday looks like all eyes on the radar again lol, and then hopefully more troughts over the weekend and into next week! It could turn out to be a great spelll and I hope we all get to see 6 inches of snow this time :cold: :cold:

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 3

Posted

Im so jealous of NY lol, they are in for a real blizzard. We just play at it in the UK. We'll never experience those conditions sadly :( Its fun to watch the live web cams though!

However, its not all doom and gloom because amazingly, were already approaching another very cold and potentially snowy spell, very soon after the last one. Cant grumble at that for the UK :D

Snow could pile up, we do need to see troughs and features tracking south though for most areas to see a good covering. There is a good chance of this though I think. Weds night into Thursday looks like all eyes on the radar again lol, and then hopefully more troughts over the weekend and into next week! It could turn out to be a great spelll and I hope we all get to see 6 inches of snow this time :cold: :cold:

Very well said, although didn't sheffield get a fall of 16-18 inches in 2010?? So big falls are still possible, albeit once in 50 years lol

• Like 1

Posted

i have a horid feeling this is going to be another close but no cigar potential cold spells, its all still outside the reliable timeframe if i understand it right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Very well said, although didn't sheffield get a fall of 16-18 inches in 2010?? So big falls are still possible, albeit once in 50 years lol

Yes I got a foot of snow up here on 1st December 2010 and also another foot during that slider low in March 2013! It really is a great place for snow. Even this winter weve had it good on boxing day and last Wednesday so far.

Lets see what the next spell brings. Some tentative signs that it may even last longer than a week!? I do hope the temps come down a bit though from whats shown. METO going for about 3-4c thursday-friday, and that would probably mean some melting. It was scary how fast just 1-2c melted the snow the other day

• Like 2

Posted

i have a horid feeling this is going to be another close but no cigar potential cold spells, its all still outside the reliable timeframe if i understand it right.

I think you may miss out wednesday night/thursday as it will most certainly be the further west you are the better and probably lesser snow showers the further south and east of yorkshire/linconshire you are. But if the UKMO is to be believed we get a stonking northerly a few days later. Then it would be a case of east is best with east yorkshire/linconshire doing quite well from snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

See the Met Office has updated its 'Snow' weather warning area for Wed/Thu to include all the east side of UK down to Lincs so might get some snow after all...still not holding my breath though as their graphics are still showing rain and 4degC for us...

Posted

Yes I got a foot of snow up here on 1st December 2010 and also another foot during that slider low in March 2013! It really is a great place for snow. Even this winter weve had it good on boxing day and last Wednesday so far.

Lets see what the next spell brings. Some tentative signs that it may even last longer than a week!? I do hope the temps come down a bit though from whats shown. METO going for about 3-4c thursday-friday, and that would probably mean some melting. It was scary how fast just 1-2c melted the snow the other day

Ye that is a bit of a worry the predicted 3-4c but I'm not bothered about snow melt on thursday, I just want to see enough snow wednesday night to get thursday off work/or have a reduced delivery :D lol. After that a nice snow suprise could always just be around the corner in the shape of a slider or northerly winds just turning NNE. But I'l be honest when ever I view the charts I'm always looking first and foremost for a greenland or scandinavian high ; )

• Like 2