Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hello, nice to see the thread back again, let's hope there's plenty to keep us all happy.

I'm getting in the mood watching alpine skiing from Levi!!!â„ï¸â›„ï¸

I am getting in the mood and thinking about booking that ski holiday sometime in the next week or so probably first week of January  :rofl:  :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I am getting in the mood and thinking about booking that ski holiday sometime in the next week or so probably first week of January  :rofl:  :80:

hey mate, have you changed your name?? if you go on a ski holiday we will probably have blizzards!!! :clapping:

Posted

hey mate, have you changed your name?? if you go on a ski holiday we will probably have blizzards!!! :clapping:

I have indeed, you can still call me Mullender it was just I didn't want my name obvious on top of posts in case someone from within work was to see me posting in works time etc  :ninja:  :angel:

Like my new name though its very game of thrones and Winter is coming   :laugh:

Maybe I should release The MSI?  Mullender ski index :wallbash:  :rofl: There would we an excellent correlation between my skiing trips and cold spells back home!

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

What a depressing day, grey and gloomy with fog with any height

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Depressing days of damp dank darkness will be plentiful for most next week too I'm afraid, but that's why I've always hated November aside from the beautiful Autumnal colours. At least an Easterly flow might be suggestive of reverse flows becoming more likely as we head deeper into Winter. You just never know but I remain hopeful.

Posted

Here's a few pics of the result of the downpours yesterday(Saturday) evening back home, sent by dad.

Manual gauge read 42.2mm, worked out about 20mm fell in an hour, 33mm in about 4 hours. 

That falling on small steep stream catchments draining down into the river valley can result in the below pictures:

post-7593-0-21654800-1416170954_thumb.jp post-7593-0-79111100-1416170960_thumb.jp post-7593-0-36646200-1416178391_thumb.jp 

(House was fine, floor level a foot or two higher than water level)

This is the 24 hour accumulation up to 6pm today, the small dot is my postcode and the small stream drains from the east where the darker pixels are. 

post-7593-0-95488100-1416184045_thumb.pn

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Here's a few pics of the result of the downpours yesterday(Saturday) evening back home, sent by dad.

Manual gauge read 42.2mm, worked out about 20mm fell in an hour, 33mm in about 4 hours. 

That falling on small steep stream catchments draining down into the river valley can result in the below pictures:

attachicon.gifstream flood.jpg attachicon.gifstream flood 2.jpg attachicon.gifflood silt.jpg 

(House was fine, floor level a foot or two higher than water level)

This is the 24 hour accumulation up to 6pm today, the small dot is my postcode and the small stream drains from the east where the darker pixels are. 

attachicon.gif24hr rainfall accumulation to 6pm 16th nov.png

Wow. Good pics there ET, to show how bad it was. A few folks I know were up at 5am, they said (even though it was dark) the rain was so heavy, it was visibly white outside. My rain gauges certainly showed how heavy the rain had been. Thankfully, no scenes like yours. Hope there's not too much damage?!

Posted

Tonight could bring a repeat performance for the Southern coastal areas with downpours circulating around the LOW.

Meanwhile I'm sat here imagining what it could have been like outside if it was 7c cooler as it's currently 7.4c with a large mass of rain sliding SSW across the region, a pretty good snow maker in the correct conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

A dull morning with steady rainfall currently. Mild enough but feels cold in the wet and gloom. 7.9C. Full data here:-

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Tonight could bring a repeat performance for the Southern coastal areas with downpours circulating around the LOW.

Meanwhile I'm sat here imagining what it could have been like outside if it was 7c cooler as it's currently 7.4c with a large mass of rain sliding SSW across the region, a pretty good snow maker in the correct conditions.

Yep - I was watching the forecast yesterday and dreaming of Feb...

Posted

Wow. Good pics there ET, to show how bad it was. A few folks I know were up at 5am, they said (even though it was dark) the rain was so heavy, it was visibly white outside. My rain gauges certainly showed how heavy the rain had been. Thankfully, no scenes like yours. Hope there's not too much damage?!

Thanks, don't think there's any real damage apart from a very muddy road/front gardens of course. Our neighbours got their car and van moved thankfully.

The stream sometimes gets blocked where it goes under the road just down from our house which can make it worse and may have happened to some extent this time.

July 2012 was a bit higher as the stream got blocked then, and November 2012 similar to this time even without getting blocked. 

Posted

Looked at my local area forecast briefly on NW and it has clear skies and -50c from next Monday!      :cold:

The funny thing is it says 74% confidence in the forecast  :rofl:  :rofl:

Posted

Oh look, the sun will be setting in the dark grey Western sky and there is clear sky approaching from the ENE!

I think the radar was under rating the rain intensity today ;  went out working when it showed me just light blue was on the way after midday and since getting home 15 mins ago I have replayed it expecting to see some greens around 12.30-13.30 because I got soaked in some heavy bursts, however it remained as light blue shading throughout.

Looked at my local area forecast briefly on NW and it has clear skies and -50c from next Monday!      :cold:

The funny thing is it says 74% confidence in the forecast  :rofl:  :rofl:

Hard frost then lol !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Cloudy but dry this morning, a theme that will probably repeated regularly for the rest of the week. 7.3C. Full data here:-

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Hoping to see little sunshine today. Have had days of cloud and pointless rainfall IMBY.

Still chasing my first elusive air frost too. Really hasn't felt like we've had an Autumn this year.

Posted

Hoping to see little sunshine today. Have had days of cloud and pointless rainfall IMBY.

Still chasing my first elusive air frost too. Really hasn't felt like we've had an Autumn this year.

It has been a bad autumn but I thought most of us had seen a few frosts I'm surprised you missed out in keynsham altogether.

This dreary start does make me wonder though how easily we could slip into another awful mild winter like we had in the 90's :cc_confused:

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It has been a bad autumn but I thought most of us had seen a few frosts I'm surprised you missed out in keynsham altogether.

I've had some ground frosts but no air frost as of yet.

Looking at the output, it's quite feasible I might have to wait until winter proper too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Rain, rain, tired of it lol :)

Having said that the autumn colours look great this year across the island

Posted

Rain, rain, tired of it lol :)

Having said that the autumn colours look great this year across the island

shhh you we still have not forgiven you for taking our channel low  :shok:  :p

It has been a nasty autumn so far, constantly got friends asking me at work about winter and are we getting same as last year. :cc_confused:

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Generally cloudy with the odd glimpse of sunshine. A bit chilly at 10.6°C but at least it is dry. :)

Just... post-15177-0-04944300-1416313680_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz