Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

OCTOBER PATTERN INDEX (OPI) MONITORING WINTER SEASON 2014-2015

Riccardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

So the OPI follows the GFS output? So we are happy the heights are back therefore the OPI stays negative........I thought the GFS wasn't rated compared to the ECM?

So if the ECM was being used the OPI could be in the positive?

Hi MPG.

The OPI calculations are far more complicated than just looking at the Nth Hemisphere heights for a 3 day period. I've shown that chart because it's an indicator of how the heights profile might be looking out at the end of the GFS 10 day forecast period that the OPI model includes in its' calculations. Bear in mind that the final OPI is based on "actuals" for the month, once it has finished (i.e. 31st Oct). So there shouldn't be any difference between ECM and GFS once you get to the months end, as either would give you the "actuals".

Also, bear in mind the post from Interitus yesterday, that the inclination of the vortex against an imaginary line drawn between the two major oceans has more weight (certainly at this stage of the month) than the actual geopotential heights.

Anyway, for now it's promising because we have a calculation based on 17 days actual results and another 10 days forecast added. The Index will be gradually firming up.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

I am really hoping we get a really solid negative number (ie <-2) as a nice clear signal like this should be a good test of the model and will build more confidence  going forward (or much less should it bust).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Yes bluearmy, a very encouraging Index of -3.36 from the GFS 0z run.

Yesterday I posted the ECM/GFS 8-10 day Nth Hemisphere mean height anomaly from Weds 12z runs and the heights had disappeared from the Pole. I'm glad to say that last night's 12z output have the heights back again, as well as (to my eye) better positioning of anomalies in relation to the top ten -ve OPI composite chart.

I have no idea what signal the GFS had picked up to drop the heights on Weds, then have them back on Thurs (bearing in mind this is a 3 day mean chart out at days 8 to 10). But a wise post from John Holmes yesterday saying not to worry, you shouldn't take just one run!

Height Anomaly for 24th - 26th Oct: attachicon.gifECM-GFS 8-10 Mean 500 Hgt Anomaly on 12z 16Oct2014.gif

Edit: Meant to say GFS has heights back, ECM remains reluctant. 

It really is quite staggering the difference in the northern profile between the two models at this stage.

Perhaps one shouldn't be surprised that our weather is so variable. Presumably the huge anomaly difference over the pole itself is caused by a very small difference in reported data somewhere rather than any differences in the code. Perhaps the GFS has picked up a signal from one of its long term trend adjustment features such as a change in the forecast nino   or an Indian Ocean anomaly. Or maybe the ECM has cahnged somewhere. We don't/won't know probably, but to me it encapsulates how very large changes can be produced in the models on our atmosphere, by just a small change somewhere. Butterfly principle?

The profile for the rest of the northern hemisphere is similar, and the ECM would still probably produce a negative OPI, but I think not a large one as per the GFS

MIA.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted

It's not that surprising - those charts are derived from operationals which have a verification below 50% by day 10.

Yesterdays ECM 12z op was out of kilter wrt previous and subsequent output.

You need to check the op anomolys against the ens mean anoms to check that's it's a reasonable stab In the 6/10 day timeframe.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I suspect this may be a fuss over nothing :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

It's not that surprising - those charts are derived from operationals which have a verification below 50% by day 10.

Yesterdays ECM 12z op was out of kilter wrt previous and subsequent output.

You need to check the op anomolys against the ens mean anoms to check that's it's a reasonable stab In the 6/10 day timeframe.

Thanks BA

It still brought it home how quickly things can change!

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I suspect this may be a fuss over nothing :)

I'm afraid I agree with you Tony. The OP has posted this across every weather-related forum/site I could find, he hasn't replied on them either. Over the years, I've seen random posts like the OP's, appear on another forum I go to.

• Like 1

Posted

Gogoslo Good Morning all.    Please excuse my ignorance if this is a really stupid question.     Historically,  have there been large swings in terms of - and + IPO during the month or have they been relatively consistent ?   Has there been situations in the past mid-month that has seen a significant - IPO only for it to end up + at the month end.

Posted
I'm afraid I agree with you Tony. The OP has posted this across every weather-related forum/site I could find, he hasn't replied on them either. Over the years, I've seen random posts like the OP's, appear on another forum I go to.

No polite way to say this but a reasonable person would use their intelligence and say that the OP has done this to flag up any possible errors that may have been missed prior to releasing the final paper for peer review.

This is the future of paper release by sending it through all forums for feed back. There won't be any replies forthcoming for this reason.

If the theory is has flaws it will be taken apart.

I leave the most recent example of OPI 2013 was +1.6 and we all observed the results. 2014's will be soon here and by Spring 2015 everyone can make their own mind up.

• Like 3

Posted

No polite way to say this but a reasonable person would use their intelligence and say that the OP has done this to flag up any possible errors that may have been missed prior to releasing the final paper for peer review.

This is the future of paper release by sending it through all forums for feed back. There won't be any replies forthcoming for this reason.

If the theory is has flaws it will be taken apart.

I leave the most recent example of OPI 2013 was +1.6 and we all observed the results. 2014's will be soon here and by Spring 2015 everyone can make their own mind up.

Or they posted it to try and get some coverage? :)

And before you or anyone gets on the defensive, just remember, I'm entitled to my opinion. :good:

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

And before you or anyone gets on the defensive, just remember, I'm entitled to my opinion. :good:

I'm open minded so yes that's a possibility and by releasing the concept onto the forums it is for Riccardo's benefit.

As I said before I wish him success. From what I see so far, I see the theory as honourable and papers written by Judah Cohen make him also the same.

• Like 1

Posted

You can see the work that has gone into it and there are enough brains on here to see that there may be something in it.

It could be we have a very negative OPI, in which case we will not have long to wait to see if it verifies to a cold winter.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 8

Posted

I think too many people on here are under the assumption that a negative OPI will bring a cold winter. If you want to look at numbers, the OPI was a bust in predicting the AO for the states.

I don't wish to be labeled as having 'no sense' for having a different opinion. There is a flaw with it, like many papers! This is now a tool for the cold-brigade to lose the plot over- (not everybody of course, as I like cold too) I'd like some balance in it, perhaps predicting an AO for the Summer too? Until then, I'll take this with a large pinch of salt.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I think too many people on here are under the assumption that a negative OPI will bring a cold winter. If you want to look at numbers, the OPI was a bust in predicting the AO for the states.

I don't wish to be labeled as having 'no sense' for having a different opinion. There is a flaw with it, like many papers! This is now a tool for the cold-brigade to lose the plot over- (not everybody of course, as I like cold too) I'd like some balance in it, perhaps predicting an AO for the Summer too? Until then, I'll take this with a large pinch of salt.

The AO was very positive last winter:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/month.ao.gif

Thus agreeing with the OPI which is only trying to predict the AO and not the weather at mid-latitudes.

But I agree we should remain sceptical until we have a few more years of forecast to go with the 40 years of hindcast.

• Like 5

To be fair it wasn't very positive, the CPC monthly values were +1.475, -0.969 and 0.044 giving an average about 0.18

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/monthly.ao.index.b50.current.ascii.table

Posted

Great post Tamara תָּמָר, as always. Thank you for taking the time to write an informative reply. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A very well balanced and informative post from Tamara above, pretty much summed up my thoughts and then some (although I could never have posted it as eloquently)

Any attempt to improve long range forecasting is surely a good thing, and I for one, applaud the OP in having the courage of conviction to develop this particular tool, and from a non-biased viewpoint, I wish him and his methodology every success

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

To be fair it wasn't very positive, the CPC monthly values were +1.475, -0.969 and 0.044 giving an average about 0.18

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/monthly.ao.index.b50.current.ascii.table

Ha, yes. That's what happens when you just look at the pretty graph instead of the actual numbers. :oops:

December was a monster though and the States were buried.