Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/09/14 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well I have just awoken from my slumber and seen this from Estofex. Looks like it could be an interesting day ahead for some of us, not to mention an interesting night happening already for C-S parts:

A level 1 was issued for parts of UK and S-Ireland mainly for excessive rain and large hail.

Further north, over S-UK, forecast soundings indicate less CAPE (1-1.5 kJ/kg), which is still noteworthy for this region. Persistent LL convergence signals, PWs in excess of 20 mm, weak upper divergence and storm motions of 5 kt point to an augmented risk for slow moving multicells with isolated large hail and excessive rain. High resolved models indicate selective amounts of 50 mm/3h, which would bring a flash flood threat to those areas. This risk also extends to S-Ireland and shifts north during the night, conform to the northbound advection of the unstable air. 

post-2719-0-75241300-1411090681_thumb.pn

www.estofex.org

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

No lightning here, I was hoping for at least a bang, I was only alerted to the oncoming rain during the BBC independence coverage. When Andrew Neil said they had thunder over Westminster lol, I was playing Kerbal Space Program, trying to get back from minmus when my craft randomly exploded. haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I have just spent the past 15 minutes trying in vain to clear the drains, meanwhile bricking myself that my flimsy umbrella might be the best lightning conductor in the area, with torrential rain and flashes every couple of seconds!!

Then just as I came tramping soggily inside, the rain stopped completely!!!! 

Sod's law eh?? :D

Still lots of flashes and rumbles in all directions and thoroughly looking forward to tomorrow night!

I have an extremely soggy Saltire flopping around now too... Not boding well.

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

No lightning here, I was hoping for at least a bang, I was only alerted to the oncoming rain during the BBC independence coverage. When Andrew Neil said they had thunder over Westminster lol, I was playing Kerbal Space Program, trying to get back from minmus when my craft randomly exploded. haha

Googleing Kerbal Space Programe ! Heavy rain easing now!

Posted

Awesome little storm here - about 15 or so strikes here in the past 20 minutes, with a couple of very close CGs and explosive thunder. Torrential rain to boot. Just moving off now, but lightning still going strong.

Blitzortung seems on the money but even that a few strikes light...the MetO strike detector woefully inaccurate - there's been three flashes while typing this alone (make that 4)

Edited by Harry

Posted

I just had two bits of lightning followed by very quiet thunder? even though it was relativity close? Anyone else experience this?

Googleing Kerbal Space Programe ! Heavy rain easing now!

ITs a game endorsed by NASA where you build space craft to get to other planets with real physics. its pretty good if you have patience. 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Nice storm rumbling around in the last hour here in SE London,reguler rolling booms and much lightning.

Posted

I just had two bits of lightning followed by very quiet thunder? even though it was relativity close? Anyone else experience this?

Generally yes, but 2-3 strikes were very close and the thunder earth shattering. The lightning is very bright and strobe like and so does give appearance it's perhaps closer than it is. Stopped raining here but the lightning is still very bright- can still here the thunder too

:yahoo:

Posted

I just had the brightest longest lasting flash of lightning I have ever seen it was followed by long rumbling thunder, seems like its back building a bit. Its quite relaxing to be honest.

Posted

Generally yes, but 2-3 strikes were very close and the thunder earth shattering. The lightning is very bright and strobe like and so does give appearance it's perhaps closer than it is. Stopped raining here but the lightning is still very bright- can still here the thunder too

:yahoo:

yup,good description.Strobe lightning much of the time.The thunder long and deep rumbling.Although a clearance seems to be apperaring on the radar lightning and thunder from all compass points still. Edited by sunnijim

Posted

I normally suffer from anxiety during storms but this is awesome! When I was younger this would have terrified me, now its one of my favourite things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Lightening over the East towards South Dartmoor.

Must be a long way away as no thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well this storm has been going on for over half an hour now. Good stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sw gales or lot's of snow

Great little storm here overhead, loads of flashes, better than the one in the summer. It was sat over us for ages and now slowly moving north up Exe estuary. Got scared and unplugged my new lcd tv, :bomb:  :good: Just stopped raining now after torrential downpour, no hail though very slow moving

Posted

Intra-cloud lightning in elevated storms - even when overhead the lightning can be miles away (vertically) and the clouds can acted as padding to 'dampen' the sound.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

It's all going off here in Christchurch!  Frequent lightning and shotgun thunder.

Tell me about it! what a nice way to start the day  :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Has anyone ever had thunderfog?  :rofl:  Come on Norfolk, you can surely squeeze out a little cloud parp later......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

probably one of the best storms of the summer here atm :)

frequent very loud lightning - great stuff

Yet another early morning storm - can't ever remember this many thunder events in one year. Back edge of the system has just passed North of me now to reveal some nice blue skies and sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

It's all not going off here in MK! Just another damp, dull autumnal morning with a little bit of rain. Fingers crossed for some action later. Still early yet anyway  :)

I think my fog might turn to drizzle shortly :D