Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

The big question for me : Is there anything holding the caldera floor up other than Magma ? and if this is the case - it is only a matter of time before the roof (and everything (ice) on top of it) falls in.. and based on the volumes we have a life changing VE event.

If the caldera has fallen by 15m or so is that because the magma has drained away/pressure released in those fissure eruptions? Is there still magma there... I can imagine it would be explosive if the caldera top collapsed into the magma chamber.

Volcanoes are a bit like the weather aren't they, despite all our knowledge and science it's still an educated guessing game

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

The big question for me : Is there anything holding the caldera floor up other than Magma ? and if this is the case - it is only a matter of time before the roof (and everything (ice) on top of it) falls in.. and based on the volumes we have a life changing VE event.

Just imagine all that water increasing its volume by 1700 times as it turns to steam in a split second.

Wow big pop lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Splendid view on Mila 2 cam at the moment.

Good views of the steam being ejected out sideways of the fissure at the bottom right as we look.

Aslo in the foreground coming towards the camera I have seen as many as 5 dust devils coming and going.

Does this indicate that the ground is heating up on  and under the line of these dust twisters?

If you watch they form in about a minute  and then die away in the next minute, only to reform a couple of minutes  later  a few yards

closer to the camers.

MIA

Aslo in the foreground coming towards the camera I have seen as many as 5 dust devils coming and going.

Does this indicate that the ground is heating up on  and under the line of these dust twisters?

If you watch they form in about a minute  and then die away in the next minute, only to reform a couple of minutes  later  a few yards

closer to the camers.

I've been watching the dust devils too, loads of them at the moment. Must be due to a lot heat coming from the ground, the clouds above show clear signs of thermals, convection too

Posted

Good views of the steam being ejected out sideways of the fissure at the bottom right as we look.

closer to the camers.

MIA

Did you see the article about the gas tornado.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26163-tornado-of-hot-gas-caught-emerging-from-fiery-volcano.html#.VAxqTldmNyG

dn26163-1_1200.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

The new lava field at the Holuhraun eruption is now advancing into the westernmost branch of the Jokulsa a Fjollum glacial river which runs from the Dyngjujokull outlet glacier. The output is estimated to be 100 - 200 cubic metres per second, and the new lavafield covers about 16 square kilometres.

This is according to a new status report by the Icelandic Civil Protection´s Scientific Advisory Board, published today.

Scientists monitoring the eruption estimate that the advancement rate of the lava flow is about 1 kilometer every day. The volcanic activity in the main fissure has remained steady, but the small fissure to the south, which opened up on Friday has diminished.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/holuhraun-lava-field-now-16-sq-kilometres

More in link

Posted
Pàll Einnarsson from the Icelandic University and the Icelandic Authorities, just reported, that Aviation in Iceland is grounded due to the Amount of Sulphour and Hydrogen Dioxide in the gasscloud.

watch the planes  in  the  uk  soon  then!!

Posted

Pàll Einnarsson from the Icelandic University and the Icelandic Authorities, just reported, that Aviation in Iceland is grounded due to the Amount of Sulphour and Hydrogen Dioxide in the gasscloud.

watch the planes  in  the  uk  soon  then!!

Really? Or is he talking about flights being asked to avoid the region round the eruption?

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

If the caldera has fallen by 15m or so is that because the magma has drained away/pressure released in those fissure eruptions? Is there still magma there... I can imagine it would be explosive if the caldera top collapsed into the magma chamber.

Volcanoes are a bit like the weather aren't they, despite all our knowledge and science it's still an educated guessing game

Yes it's because the magma is being drained by dike intrusion and fissure eruption. At the moment the caldera is sinking "quietly" However if the magma below is suddenly drained quicker this could cause a quicker collapse and eruption. It's also possible if the dike gets blocked or the flow of magma increases that caldera may start to lift again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The rotation that is appearing in the cloud above the Doppler radar on Mila 1 is the water vapor and gasses from the lava, it is at the  meeting point with the river they are condensing at cloud level, sometimes just a little lower. Again I witness this happening above Fawley fuel refinery when viewed from the Isle of Wight, the effect is exactly the same. The water vapor condenses when conditions allow, below that level it is too hot... Good rotation is visible.  post-4726-0-14690100-1410119882_thumb.jp

Posted

closer to the camers.

MIA a

I think the dust devils are developing over/near the lava field due to its intense heat. The ones I saw were over the lava which extends down the left half of the view until the foreground hill blocks the view on the left side of Bardarbunga 2 cam. It looks black and not much different to other ground in the day though you can make it out. When it gets dark you should be able to see parts of the edge where the crust breaks as well as the more active/hot flow in the lava field growing orange.

On cam 1 the hot lava field definitely seems to be generating quite a strong updraught.. I wonder if it's even making its own (perhaps acidic) rain?

I saw some great pictures several days ago showing dust devils being shed from the lava field and effectively a towering cumulus/cumulonimbus developing downstream as a result of the updraught.

Edit: pretty dark now but mainly just little dots where the crust is broken glowing, the advancing front is now out of view

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Earthquake pattern today has focused towards Askja and North East of Bardarbunga caldera at edge of glacier.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/#view=map

Could be reason for lower spell of a seismic activity pressure easing as Bardarbunga is second highest peak in Iceland. Gravity in effect.

I say this and next thing is a sonic boom hitting my house from Bardarbunga going Def-Con 1

Joke by the way below is good paper on shock waves for explosive volcanic eruptions kinetic energy 10 km is a big distance

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~gpwaite/pub/PDFs/ShockWaveGRL.pdf

Edited by KyleHenry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

fissure looks beautiful this evening

Yep just come in from an evening out - yes it does look stunning.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Any bets on the strength of the earthquakes before 08:00 this morning?

Mine's a 5.1

Just been a 3.7 near the surface at Bardabunga, maybe a big one during the night?

Posted

can now see the steam comeing from the river on the cam

Posted

That was the first quiet night in quite a while. :-(

Then two come in lol

2014-09-08

06:15:42 UTC M4.4 ICELAND

1hr 41min ago Depth:2 Km

221 km E of Reykjavík, Iceland / pop: 113,906 / local time: 06:15:42.1 2014-09-08

2014-09-08

07:20:05 UTC M4.6 ICELAND

37min ago Depth:10 Km

227 km NE of Reykjavík, Iceland / pop: 113,906 / local time: 07:20:05.6 2014-09-08

Edited by KyleHenry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

That was the first quiet night in quite a while. :-(

It is because the lava is flowing freely it does the EQ's when there is a blockage, these blockages are what can back the pressure right back to Bada and cause an eruption there, won't be quiet then alright.

The morning  EQ,s show clearly**, I would imagine they are upper 4's, I don't expect a correction of the IMO site until later today.

I would also imagine the fissure under the glacier will make an appearance complete with explosions and ash cloud at some stage over the next couple of days, In here own right Bada will erupt I think, due to the draining of magma and the fissure activity destabilizing her flanks, it is just as soon as the ice covering the caldera gives up the struggle against the inevitable...In my opinion.

** post-4726-0-17191400-1410164398_thumb.jp

Map of Bada...post-4726-0-30489100-1410164944_thumb.jp

Area on map I think the bare cliffs  are called Skul, Kista and Keila  post-4726-0-37963400-1410164951_thumb.jp I have marked them with a yellow arrow, they are as one now, the map is quite old...Note the nice little vortex lower left.

Nothing to worry about at Katla, just those pesky Ice quakes again...post-4726-0-22738300-1410165425_thumb.jp

Those clouds above the Doppler radar dome are getting darker and the funnel clouds and small tornadoes are becoming larger and more frequent.  post-4726-0-31501800-1410166560_thumb.jp For those that study tornado development this Mila cam and Number 2 is a great asset, the rotation of that dark cloud is very interesting to watch, mesmerizing...

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 3

Posted

Then two come in lol

2014-09-08

06:15:42 UTC M4.4 ICELAND

1hr 41min ago Depth:2 Km

221 km E of Reykjavík, Iceland / pop: 113,906 / local time: 06:15:42.1 2014-09-08

2014-09-08

07:20:05 UTC M4.6 ICELAND

37min ago Depth:10 Km

227 km NE of Reykjavík, Iceland / pop: 113,906 / local time: 07:20:05.6 2014-09-08

I can see them on the drum plots clear enough but for some reason they are not registered on the IMO site so not sure of their location.