Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

post-19931-0-47385900-1411189040_thumb.j

Still flashing & rumbling here and the rain has returned. Over 2hrs in duration, reminds me of the overnight storms from decades ago! Lovely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Morning.....Storm after storm after storm....Since 4.00 am. Repeat performance of yesterday morning, Well time scale anyway. Stopped about 20 mins ago.

wx_116.png Thunderstorm   Wind Chill: 15°   Ceiling: 100 Heat Index: 15°   Visibility: 0.09mi Dew Point: 15°   Wind: 6mph Humidity: 100%   Direction: 30°NNE Pressure: 29.94"   Gusts: NA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

literally exploding all around. Watching strikes appear from nothing. Woke up here this morning like yesterday. 3rd decent storm in 24 hours now. According to this it literally hit Stevenage, exploded all over and around us then died  off. Couldn't see us on the map as we were obliterated. 

Ok think I just put a dampener on it all. Seems to be calming down more now lol

Edited by Hearts in Herts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning, constant low rumbles here with some steady rain. Turning very dark now.

Posted

As others have said quite a surreal storm around here this evening from about 2045 until 2230pm.

Seeing lightning above fog is a new one on me and actually trying to work out where the Cgs were hitting through the fog was altogether baffling, also in Eastwood and 2 of the strikes were in the few hundred yards category, had a few minutes of hail as well, and once the rain came the fog soon departed, dumped about 3/4 of an inch in 40 minutes turning roads to rivers.

Once it moved away to the NE It left a clear sky with flashing away towards the Crouch Estuary.

Had my eye on this development since 3pm today with a huge TCU Sat over the South Downs pretty much for 4 hours before the Thick Fog made it vanish around 7pm, can only assume there was an Inversion and the Storm broke through the Cap about 7pm along the estuary and some wind convergence kicked it into life not to dis-similar to our Thames snow streamers we get in the winter.

Fascinating to watch and audible thunder through Fog is an amazing sound.

Just had a similar occurrence here in North West London Paul. It was misty and murky with distant thunder rumbling from about 4:15am this morning. For the next 2 hours there were 5-6 lightning strikes a minute  with the thunder rumbling on for 30 seconds or so.

There were some very close lightning strikes with louder thunder at times. For the first 90 minutes there was no rain at all. Very surreal and I would think quite unusual, especially at this time of year ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Woken by low rumbles at about 730, looked out window but all was just grey muck and rain. Up until about 815-30 the storm gradually increased with some big menacing rumbles of thunder but as soon as it got overhead, it fizzled out, as per usual! This time though, because of the intense rain, I was pleased because the extension roof was leaking and I had to get a ladder to put a tarp over it (slightly concerned as there were still thunder and flashes about). Now just raining but certainly a good soaking, which is pleasing for the garden though secretly I wish for a return to the dry weather as it has been great. Still raining now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Morning all

After reading the posts on here things now make more sense. We was walking home from the pub around 9 last night, and it looked like thick fog was forming. Anyway as I was approaching home, I saw two bright flashes (blue) in the sky. I assumed they were fireworks, but heard no bang. So it much of been lightening. Never in my life have I witnessed anything like this. Must be quite a rare accurance.

Edited by LeighD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

no rain or storms here, all passed south of me, still mild and muggy though, very dull and overcast, tomorrow looks like a bright clear and sunny day though.

Posted

Was awoken by a storm at about 5am. It seemed to meander around, disappearing before coming back.

Have residual merk here. 20.5 degrees though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Seems like lot of folks had good storms over the last 24hours or so well here in brum with all the yellow warnings we didn't even get a crack or a flash apart some rain. 

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

So much for the weather warning today then eh, met - morons :(

I've seen worse fog than storms lately!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

literally exploding all around. Watching strikes appear from nothing. Woke up here this morning like yesterday. 3rd decent storm in 24 hours now. According to this it literally hit Stevenage, exploded all over and around us then died  off. Couldn't see us on the map as we were obliterated. 

Ok think I just put a dampener on it all. Seems to be calming down more now lol

It was something else wasn't it! I'm lucky enough to have a lazy day today to catch back up on my sleep but wish I had enough oomph in me to actually get up and have a good look at it instead of trying and failing to get back to sleep during it.. Certainly been a great year for storms so far.. that was the third one in little over 24 hours I saw! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

For anyone who hasn't seen it in the convective thread here is the other nights storm, I could see lightning and hear thunder from about 4am to 6:30am, most of the time I could not see where the lightning was coming from as visibility was soo poor, I am guessing it was elevated.

Probably the longest lasting storm I have seen for a good 10 years, was totally insane and unexpected, yet today it was pretty cold, thank you England for being so strange weather wise.
  • Like 2

Posted

Glorious start to the morning here, wall to wall sunshine, now with just a few bits of ragged low cloud drifting around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Better day today than yesterday. Sunny spells and still warm.

Posted

Been a cracking day here, cool start then the sun arrived and the clouds cleared so it turned quite warm again, not as muggy thanks to the breeze, made for a great morning at the carboot and came back home a bit richer too and a couple of boxes of stuff lighter, will get that spare room clear if it kills me (which I hope it does not mind).

Posted

Well, spoke too soon the cloud has returned, still a fine dry and calm day though, many out mowing lawns by the sounds of it, mine is still OK for now, moss is a slow grower :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Nice day here today. Good periods of sun, but that little breeze and the odd cloud cover made it feel pretty nippy.

Took my children to collect conkers this morning, and over the park it is evident and very pleasing on the eye to see the changes in leaf colour. With the sun beaming through the branches it made for some wonderful pictures. Shame I only had my phone with me, and the pictures I took done no justice.

Posted

Nice clear but chilly start here, should be a fine and pleasant day.