Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I only put the heating on when it is cold and by heating I mean gas fire, I don't have central heating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The test generally goes like this:

Feeling cold?

1) Put on a another layer.----------------------Better?-----------------------------------Yes. Sorted.

I

I

I------------------------------------------ No.

I

2) Get under a blanket.------------------------- Better?---------------------------------- Yes. Sorted.

I

I

I----------------------------------------No.

I                                            

3) Put the fire on in the lounge.--------------- Better?-----------------------------------Yes. Sorted.

I

I

I-------------------------------- No.

I

4) OK, now you can put the heating on***

***But even still, the heating will only go on if steps 1-3 have been repeated without success for several days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I only put the heating on when it is cold and by heating I mean gas fire, I don't have central heating!

Nope me neither (on both counts) I have storage heaters and they take two days of planning ahead to get right, leave it too late and your cold, to early and you find yourself in shorts on a warm sunny day.  I have a back up fan heater and oil rad to plug in if needed.

Posted

Feeling cold?

1) Put on a another layer.----------------------Better?-----------------------------------Yes. Sorted.

I

I

I

2) Get under a blanket.------------------------- Better?---------------------------------- Yes. Sorted.

I

I

I                                            

3) Put the fire on in the lounge.--------------- Better?-----------------------------------Yes. Sorted.

I

I

I

***But even still, the heating will only go on if steps 1-3 have been repeated without success for several days.

Nice chart, but you clearly have waaaaayyyyy to much time to kill :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Feeling cold?

I

I

I

I

I

I                                            

I

I

I

:rofl:

Nope me neither (on both counts) I have storage heaters and they take two days of planning ahead to get right, leave it too late and your cold, to early and you find yourself in shorts on a warm sunny day.  I have a back up fan heater and oil rad to plug in if needed.

I hate central heating, in fact it makes me ill and I think it is pretty unhealthy anyway, but if you can tolerate it, then it's important for the elderly etc!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Heating should stay off until October unless there's some freak weather around. Basic rule if the temp drops below 60F downstairs I'll turn it on for a short while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Heating should stay off until October unless there's some freak weather around. Basic rule if the temp drops below 60F downstairs I'll turn it on for a short while.

Yes we normally say around 15c before it goes on also but its so tempting after such a warm spell of weather at times.

Posted

Being immune to 'cold' and reluctant to check the thermometer every five minutes, I can tell when the indoor temp has fallen below 14C when my beer stops fermenting. Rectifying that regrettable situation via a heating belt and insulation is a damn sight easier than trying to cool the stuff down when the temp exceeds 21C. The yeast is as intolerant of that as I am - and they aren't governed by moods....

• Like 1

Posted

Think Oct would be the earliest I have ever turned the heating on.

Posted

Felt cool this morning when I left at 17.1c in house.

Posted

Still have doors and windows open and 21oC in here which is the offical "comfort" temp and I am comfortable, tad cooler in the bedroom at night and that is also good for sleeping under a snug duvet, hope to get a few more months out of this yet before I contemplate turning the heating on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

My partners sons flat feels like a sauna in December and he hardly ever has the heating on , because of the insulation and other flats cooking in the block

I live a in converted barn with poor insulation (snow first to go off the roof) and it can cold particularly down stairs.

There two factors

Southern softie or northern hardie

and what type of place you live in

Posted

My partners sons flat feels like a sauna in December and he hardly ever has the heating on , because of the insulation and other flats cooking in the block

I live a in converted barn with poor insulation (snow first to go off the roof) and it can cold particularly down stairs.

There two factors

Southern softie or northern hardie

and what type of place you live in

I don't think it matters much where your from if its cold most will feel it unless they have a large 'winter coat' :rofl:

You get used to what you live with though, in winter by January we tend to turn heating on once it drops below 12 - 15c in the day and then at night it falls into single figures but in the autumn in comes on below 17c because it takes the body a few weeks to adapt (within reason) to lower temperatures. Interestingly it doesn't take as long when weather is  heating up at round 5 - 7 days to adjust.

Posted

I don't think it matters much where your from if its cold most will feel it unless they have a large 'winter coat' :rofl:

For the record, I'm 5'10", eleven and a half stones and of 'slight' build, so my intolerance of heat and indifference to cold have nothing to do with an excess of natural wadding! But I was raised in near-poverty and the decrepit house had virtually no heating....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm quite a large gentleman, probably explains my hatred of heat :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Well for what it's worth I'm 6ft 1 and weigh around 17 stones and get very hot in warm weather...think I need to lose a few pounds :)

Posted

It's a bit warm at the moment for heating. Realistically it won't go on until October at the earliest, and even then will only be used sparingly. I work outdoors, so I can tolerate cold conditions, but that's probably also the reason I turn the heating on occasionally. Sometimes I just think "sod it" if I want to feel a bit of warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

when i was a boy some of the winters were cold ,the snow came down the chimney as we had no fire no heating anywhere in the house ,we used to cuddle up to the fridge with the doors opened ,the dog would jump into bed with us to keep us warm and sometimes the toilet pot under the bed would freezeup .right on a serious note ,the fire goes on now when the rheumatism starts in my feet ,which it did the other night but it only took an hour to warm the room up. the last few morning have had a nip in the air when iv walked the dog just after dawn ,Autumn seems to be making in roads looking at current forecast charts ,cheers gang ,PS we did not have a fridge when me and my brothers were young just a larder ,and mum would send us to bed with a hot water bottle ,fantastic smell and a cosy feeling .regards .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

Temps are just about right for me now, maybe still a bit too hot, but now I am not sweating and also can sleep under my covers.

Its defenitly not cold I am sitting here at 2.30 am with no top on and its still feeling warm.

My perfect temps are probably still another 3-5C lower, but what we have now is tolerable enough for me.

I will be gobsmacked if anyone is turning their heating on with these temps, its not winter weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Reading a few of the last posts reminded me when as kids in winter there would be ice on the inside of the windows, the outside loo used to freeze up, central heating? not till later on did that arrive, open fire with a back boiler for heat and hot water, remember the village finally getting mains gas in the 80's (though even to this day some of the furthest homes there remain off the grid gas wise), ironically I live in a modern build house now that is not on gas but is well insulated with double glazing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I remember ice on the inside of the windows when I was little. My Mum rarely put the heating on mostly because it had broken down...less efficient then!  If we complained it was too cold she told us to put a jumper on and stop being 'nesh'  I think that's why I'm probably hardened to the cold now.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted

I am more tolerant of hot than cold as I grow older, think that is more the joints and stuff all giving up the ghost on me.

Posted

I am more tolerant of hot than cold as I grow older, think that is more the joints and stuff all giving up the ghost on me.

'

tha' nowt bur a lad, it gets worse believe me, hence my heating is actually on as I type, set at 21C winter and summer. The past 2 days are the first time it has come on for a good many weeks.

Posted

'

tha' nowt bur a lad, it gets worse believe me, hence my heating is actually on as I type, set at 21C winter and summer. The past 2 days are the first time it has come on for a good many weeks.

Thanks to an accident when I was ten and some breakages in the period between then and now are the main cause for me (along with some family traits being passed down the bloodline).