Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I have joints that hurt a lot when the weather takes a cold and damp turn...

Posted

Besides, everyone who has their heating on unnecessarily ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - think of the environmental carnage and contribution to global warming for Pete's sake! I'm surprised that NW's climate change contingent haven't given y'all 'what for' by now. First sentence was a joke by the way. The second one wasn't....

I do remember when I had red blood that circulated around my body, not any longer, and for sure the heating is on and without any feelings of guilt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Besides, everyone who has their heating on unnecessarily ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - think of the environmental carnage and contribution to global warming for Pete's sake! I'm surprised that NW's climate change contingent haven't given y'all 'what for' by now. First sentence was a joke by the way. The second one wasn't....

If I'm cold I'm having the bloody heating on! :laugh:

Was chilly when I got in this evening so I clicked it on. If that makes me pathetic or whatever then so be it! :)

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted

The last couple of days have not reached 10C, plus windy and damp when not wet so a proper fire in the stove the last two evenings - which runs the radiators after an hour or so.
The dry autumn has been good for picking up a few extra bits of fallen branches etc for logs so there is ample in stock to last until Spring already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

My office dropped down to 18C this morning - it was the first time since Spring that the heating was required but it wasn't working properly.  This meant a lot of unhappy people! It's been in the low-mid 20s inside every day since May though (no air con!), so not bad really considering the first properly cold day wasn't until today.

I find it interesting that people moan more about being cold than hot - personally I prefer being cold to being hot. It's easier to warm up when you're cold (wear extra layers, use a hot water bottle, etc.) than it is to cool down when you're hot (there's only so many layers you can take off!).

I think that's because it can be very nice to be very warm/hot... relaxing with very little on, air all around you with a cool beer on. But I don't mean that hot like when wearing a winter coat then walking into an overheated shop or the London Underground for example - that's nasty hot.  The atmosphere of hot conditions can be very pleasant too and it isn't always a mad dash to keep cool- just go with it... Cold is different, it's hard to warm up once you get cold so few people sit outside with not much on and bask in it.. You keep indoors or wrap up well then keep moving. 

No heating here although did need to shut the windows today as its got very windy so even at 16c this evening it gets chilly fast on the 5th floor. With forecast of 24c on Thursday we won't be needing it for a while yet!

• Like 1

Posted

We've had a couple of days with a max of 11C so ours went on for the first time today. The inside temp dropped below 17C but it required only an hour of heating to get it back to 20C.

Even now almost 12 hours since it went off its still 19.7C in here, so quite comfortable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Going to get warmer here in the south over the next few days, so no need for the heating just yet! Will need it in November when the Scandi High send those cold E/NE winds our way!

Posted

Wood burner lit in office today; at 14.2C, for me it's a bit chilly for sitting in front of the computer, even with a jumper on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Back in my shorts today on this muggy but sunny 22c day. Starting to think we'll go straight from summer to winter all of a sudden at one point!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Open fire lit today, Outside temp 8c and 18.5c in the living room. With the other half off work it's inevitable..

Posted

Have the small storage heater on very low now, takes two days to warm up anyway and I am back to drying the washing indoors, planned ahead so that the heater should be available going into next week as the weather looks set to turn cooler and damper.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A few mornings ago it did get chilly enough for me to close the window but right now i still have the bedroom window open. 

Posted

mine is on low in the lounge only, just the one room, rest of the house can fend for itself (and looks to be off again tomorrow onwards to the weekend) joints are complaining so had to do something.

Posted

There are different levels of 'softness' apparently. Putting the heating on in early October makes you soft, but complaining about the heat when it has barely cracked 25C makes you an 'ard man, lol.

You are of course referring to me. Kindly point out where I've claimed to be 'hard' for being intolerant of warmth. It's all in your fevered mind - by my own admission I'm the softest of the lot where warmth is concerned. Or hadn't you noticed?

• Like 1

Posted

I imagine people are going to get a shock this weekend with the much milder conditions. I'm off work next week which is just as well because my office will be like a sauna on Monday due to the heating being on and the unusual warmth building up over the weekend!

Posted

Started lighting the woodburner last couple of evenings, but CH still off.

Posted

Last night it finally went on. The building is centrally heated so I just open the hot water tap and it flows all round the apartment. I can then open any radiator as required (usually after being bled as air gets trapped in as we're top floor!). So far I'm just running it around the apartment without radiators to take that chill off. Soon as we get any sun it'll be straight off as it heats up rapidly up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

I did have it on the twice this week ...... firstly when the new thermostat system was installed and secondly when a couple of radiators were installed.

I'm thinking however that it may go on soon IF the temps get any lower but it seems as though it will remain pretty mild ...... an indication of our coming winter perhaps :-O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Its on for about 15 mins in the morning and evening to take the edge off, and also to stop the wife complaining. She gets in from work earlier than I do so I set it to briefly come on so that she doesn't put it on for longer than needed. Hopefully it will stay mild until the end of November to keep the costs down!

• Like 2

Posted

Open fire going this morning here Temp 8.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Not cold enough here. House is well insulated, perhaps too well. Rarely drops below 19 degrees and i have to go to the back door to feel the chill even with the windows open.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1