Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Another mini report from me. 

Firstly lets look at the latest, since the last posted image here (from the 13th) not a lot has changed in the east, perhaps a touch more westward cover, however the difference in Finland is day and night, they are finally almost totally covered, I would expect Scandi to be whited out in 48-72 hours. 

2014_zps2f83c847.gif

Now let us compare to 2013, a year we would all rather forget!

2013_zpsbc1bac10.gif

Many many hundreds of square miles less, and look at that ice! Severny Island and Svalbard both of which were almost untouched last year are almost completely enveloped! There is certainly in both the snow and ice evidence of colder temperatures much further south than last year.

Now let us compare to that famous 2010 winter.

2010_zpse4dd9b7e.gif

The ice is close to the same now, Scandi had been hit a little more but Canada was a lot clearer and there is a space of many hundreds of miles squared in Russia that is full this year and was empty. 

Again, I stress, there is loose correlation between the amount of snow and ice and the chances of snow in the UK, what we know for fact is that the snow and ice can effect the AO (which from other threads it seems to be starting to) and of course the strat temps.

My feeling for winter has always been the same, a few hits and misses through December followed by a seriously cold and hopefully snowy January. I still believe that from the way this is playing out, would love to be wrong by a week or so and get the snow in for Christmas though.

Edited by throwoff
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Another mini report from me. 

Firstly lets look at the latest, since the last posted image here (from the 13th) not a lot has changed in the east, perhaps a touch more westward cover, however the difference in Finland is day and night, they are finally almost totally covered, I would expect Scandi to be whited out in 48-72 hours. 

2014_zps2f83c847.gif

Now let us compare to 2013, a year we would all rather forget!

2013_zpsbc1bac10.gif

Many many hundreds of square miles less, and look at that ice! Severny Island and Svalbard both of which were almost untouched last year are almost completely enveloped! There is certainly in both the snow and ice evidence of colder temperatures much further south than last year.

Given the uk is 94,000 sq miles I would put the extra snow cover at around 450,000 square miles ? Thats many many many many many  hundreds of square miles . :drinks:

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Snow sitting pretty where it was, little melts here and there, quickly built back up in other places.

The ice though, the ice is incredible compared to 2010.

2014 -

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

2010 - 

ims2010322_asiaeurope.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Yesterdays incredible #snow in Buffalo New York https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y74QiPo_HLw#t=93

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Reminds me of Winter 09/10 here..

• Like 2

Posted
Snow sitting pretty where it was, little melts here and there, quickly built back up in other places.

The ice though, the ice is incredible compared to 2010.

2014 -

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

2010 - 

ims2010322_asiaeurope.gif

If we look at ice build up towards Svalbard, here is the region most difficult for Arctic ice formation( due to Gulf Stream) and yet this year it's pushing further outwards. Still some way to go if comparing to cold phase of the 70's and 80's.

Early signs of a cooling AMO? (needs to be watched for next couple of seasons) but the cool and warm cycles are proven as we enter the cooling phase.

Combine a cool AMO (within next 5 years) and next solar min period 2017-2022 and all snow lovers here will get their wishes. If digging out of snow from inside your house is your thing

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Now that is what i call green power lol, or should that be white! (after yesterdays snow in buffalo)

B2zgfa3CcAAXYbY.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Some really good gains today for Western Russia and Eastern Europe. :yahoo:  :cold:

Yesterday

post-21143-0-60744200-1416654986_thumb.g

Today

post-21143-0-29980800-1416654986_thumb.g

• Like 6

Posted

Some really good gains today for Western Russia and Eastern Europe. :yahoo:  :cold:

Yesterday

attachicon.gifprvsnow_asiaeurope.gif

Today

attachicon.gifcursnow_asiaeurope (2).gif

The "land bridge between eastern and western Europe' looks to be being started, easing the snowfall ever nearer to the uk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Now that is what i call green power lol, or should that be white! (after yesterdays snow in buffalo)

B2zgfa3CcAAXYbY.jpg

It will be like this next week..

post-15177-0-08990800-1416661700_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Posted

Don't know if anyone uses the NSIDC (National Snow and Ice Data Centre) much for sea ice data. (I'm sure a lot of you might use it but just in case you don't). It only covers ice levels rather than snow but I find some of their analysis very interesting and quite a good read. It's unfortunately only updated once a month and sometimes twice, but it's very concise with lots of data, and not too complex either! http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/.

Sea ice extent has stalled a bit in recent days but Eurasian snow cover in particular still relatively impressive! 

Posted

Metjet, on 24 Nov 2014 - 23:47, said:

Don't know if anyone uses the NSIDC (National Snow and Ice Data Centre) much for sea ice data. (I'm sure a lot of you might use it but just in case you don't). It only covers ice levels rather than snow but I find some of their analysis very interesting and quite a good read. It's unfortunately only updated once a month and sometimes twice, but it's very concise with lots of data, and not too complex either! http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/.

Sea ice extent has stalled a bit in recent days but Eurasian snow cover in particular still relatively impressive! 

You can also download their daily historical sea ice extent data here ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/NOAA/G02135/north/daily/data/NH_seaice_extent_final.csv

And the recent sea ice extent data here ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/NOAA/G02135/north/daily/data/NH_seaice_extent_nrt.csv

• Like 2

Posted

Vast area cold across eastern Europe port at Dickson in  Russia at -39c pink area on map B3Tsdc8IQAIzPjm.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

Vast area cold across eastern Europe port at Dickson in  Russia at -39c pink area on map B3Tsdc8IQAIzPjm.jpg

Some decent cold beginning to get itself together ready for the UK to tap into for our super cold and snowy winter!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

post-15601-0-06128900-1417035143_thumb.g

post-15601-0-32753800-1417035143_thumb.j 3 to 6 day snow forecast

post-15601-0-32067200-1417035147_thumb.p looks like southern Europe is were the action is at or will be.

As Russia is 75 percent in Asia this may be helpful for other posters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_continents#mediaviewer/File:Continents_vide_couleurs.png

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

Some decent cold beginning to get itself together ready for the UK to tap into for our super cold and snowy winter!

hope it keeps up..looking forward to to a cold snowy winter..think it will?

Posted

The Snow Army rolls on west (Well almost anyway) from eastern Europe.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

While in the US it may be starting to fall back sightly 

cursnow_usa.gif

However in all for people who want to see a 'Cold' Spell to a degree,looks like we got more hope this winter then the last one. :)

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Russia's now about 95% full of snow!  Unbelievable really.  Just to show how quickly the snow and ice advances, I've shown 30th October vs 30th November:

ims2014303_asiaeurope.gifcursnow_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 7