Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/07/14 onwards.

Posted

Hello!

My first post after being an avid reader of this forum for some time, and being a fan of late summers Im very much looking forward to this upcoming settled spell. STUPID QUESTION ALERT - At what point does pressure become low pressure in terms of millibars? Around 1000? Ive never been sure of the exact figure, if there is one?

Leigh

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Another settled and warm update from UKMO this morning

Rukm961.gifRukm1201.gifRukm1441.gif

The south should see temperatures into the mid 20's during the 2nd half of next week and the low 20's for northern parts of England

• Like 3

Posted

Hello!

My first post after being an avid reader of this forum for some time, and being a fan of late summers Im very much looking forward to this upcoming settled spell. STUPID QUESTION ALERT - At what point does pressure become low pressure in terms of millibars? Around 1000? Ive never been sure of the exact figure, if there is one?

Leigh

No exact figure just that all the pressures adjacent are higher. Ergo you could have a slack low pressure area of 1010mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hello!

Leigh

Welcome tallsmithy, its always nice to see your location if you can add it please ? Ave global atmospheric pressure is 1013mb, so I would say anything above about 1015 mb could be classified as high pressure, whether transient or centred .

• Like 3

Posted

Welcome tallsmithy, its always nice to see your location if you can add it please ? Ave global atmospheric pressure is 1013mb, so I would say anything above about 1015 mb could be classified as high pressure, whether transient or centred .

It wouldn't be if the adjacent pressure was higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I assume that those charts haven't changed in the 15 mins odd since you posted them, and to my eye they don't even slightly support what you are saying, Ian. The final chart could arguably see a breakdown if one imagines what could happen beyond that, but that's anyone's guess really. Do please explain if you think I am wrong. You do always seem to be determined to look on the unsettled sign of the charts even when they are resolutely saying the opposite. Gets a bit wearing, especially as you are not alone!

Im afraid, if you don't like what the models are saying then its as simple as don't look at them. Your comment Im afraid is a little bit harsh, Im only stating what the models show. The model output is still rather mixed, with high pressure trying to get a foothold, but there are lots uncertainties regarding the detail. Gone is ,the output from a few days ago where models were indicating plain and simple high pressure......slap bang over the uk, :closedeyes:

post-6830-0-67560500-1409300388_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-45584800-1409300413_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Im afraid, if you don't like what the models are saying then its as simple as don't look at them. Your comment Im afraid is a little bit harsh, Im only stating what the models show. The model output is still rather mixed, with high pressure trying to get a foothold, but there are lots uncertainties regarding the detail. Gone is ,the output from a few days ago where models were indicating plain and simple high pressure......slap bang over the uk, :closedeyes:

It's fair to say that today's ECM is a slight downgrade from recent charts. It's still settled (though not wall to wall sun), it's still warmer that average but it does show how a chart that would be hot and sunny may not be so in September - at this time of year, you need extra things to do right to get heat. For example, an easterly or a southerly will be hot in July, but an easterly might not be hot in September if the rest of Northern Europe is cool - the sun no longer has the power to heat things up quickly. And that's where we're at with the ECM today.

Having said that, the ECM this morning does not represent the other charts. Looking at the 500mb anomalies in the mid-range, GFS and NOAA do not have the disturbance that ECM has:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

so odds are still on something a little bit warmer and settled that ECM

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 1

Posted

It wouldn't be if the adjacent pressure was higher.

If you want to talk in general terms then the logical way to go would be to take the mean sea level pressure for the earth, 1013mb, and whether the pressure was above and below the mean. I'm not aware that this is the official position.

Posted

Been away for several days with an occasional peek at synoptic and anomaly charts. Certainly the anomaly types have changed in that time. Now much more towards a more settled set up, but not having got the whole set over the past 6-7 days I am not sure if this 'settled' upper pattern I've quoted is a short lived idea or longer term.

I need to see 2-3 days of them to make any prediction but it is looking reasonably hopeful, for most areas, I would have thought, once this weekend is out of the way?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

I haven't checked the most recent output in as much detail as I'd like, but re the above disgreements, may I gently suggest that the idea of some sort of breakdown for next weekend (that of Saturday 6th Sept) is far from nailed on yet. Not supported by all the models anyway. May happen, may not, we all now that as ever, there's plenty of time for positioning and detail to change between now and then.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well the longer term outlook appears to be pretty good. after this weeks expected high pressure drifts eastwards the 8-10 day anomaly charts suggest the jet on a northerly track leaving the uk on the warm side and high pressure never far away.

post-2797-0-11476600-1409312132_thumb.gi

both the gfs 06z and ecm 00z appear to suggest that next weeks high drifts eastward, followed by abit of a col, or perhaps a thundery low, before the azores high ridges in to replace the exiting high.

post-2797-0-62251400-1409312253_thumb.gi

post-2797-0-85175100-1409312270_thumb.gi

not so sure about sunshine levels in the coming week, and hence maybe why the uppers now arent expected to be quite so high so early (10c isobar). the fax suggests a lingering cold front embedded in the building high

post-2797-0-79166000-1409312543_thumb.gi

post-2797-0-98238700-1409312558_thumb.gi

before hopefully a southerly/southeasterly draft will shunt that north and allow the real warmth to cover the uk as per this from the gfs 06z

post-2797-0-01011900-1409312675_thumb.gi

into deep fi, and if the gfs is to be believed then the first half of september at least will be high pressure dominated and warm.

post-2797-0-17530000-1409312813_thumb.gi

so september 2014 is shaping up to be possibly a very warm, dry, settled one, at least indications would suggest that for the first half.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Bit puzzled mushy as to why there is a connection between sunshine levels and the 850mb temps. I'm obviously not picking up what you mean.

Lapse rates and instability I imagine. For sunshine you don't want uppers to be matching sea temps in the Oct-March timeframe.

Its still September so the sun should melt that front.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Bit puzzled mushy as to why there is a connection between sunshine levels and the 850mb temps. I'm obviously not picking up what you mean.

oh, yeah... sorry, i didnt mean to suggest there was a connection but thats what i incorrectly posted. its the straggling cold front that appears to be perhaps further south and more of a feature that would introduce more cloud, and cooler uppers on its northern flank. the op runs failed to show this front obviously, but previous runs had the 10c isotherm across the country earlier then the current runs suggest, i read that as the cold front not being as strong, nor as far south as the current fax suggests.

hope that makes sense. :)

Posted

ECM and GFS starting to agree on next week - settled conditions, not wall to wall sunshine but sunny 'spells' expected - the orientation of the High no longer favours a southerly draw, but rather an easterly, meaning temperatures slightly above average for most but not exceptional 20-23C being highly likely, maybe a stray 25C in spots favoured in easterly set-ups (of which my back yard is one :] ). A tad disappointing for those hoping for one more hot blast, but pleasant enough.

Hints at retrogression later on, one to watch, certainly a possibility given the set up by T144 - quite a chilly prospect if it happens given the cold pooling up to the north.

Posted

Euro tonight is glorious with the high retrogressing through the run. This firstly brings a north east component to the wind so a cooler source but it also means that the end game would be a northerly most likely. In the meantime it would be sunny but not quite as hot with probably chillier nights.

Recm1681.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Ecm a lovely run for cold lovers if it was winter....! Cant see why the met office updates say unsettled conditions from next weekend, perhaps they no something we dont!..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

In my view the ECM is a disappointing backtrack tonight on the warmth promised from runs over the last few days. Tonight the +10c isotherm on the 850 hPa charts only briefly touches the UK right through the run. Yes it's still a settled week (after ex-hurricane Cristobal's straggling front clears the UK on Monday) and pleasant enough with decent temps in the low 20c's but not quite what recent runs had promised. As posts above suggest, at the end of the run ECM taunts us with the prospect of a rather cool blast of polar air running down from a high forming to the east of Greenland. Cold lovers would indeed be cheering if it was January!!

ECM 850hPa chart tonight for Monday 8th Sept: post-20040-0-92199000-1409343464_thumb.j

Posted

The anomalies look in fair agreement for next weekend with the HP to the NW and the jet running around it facilitating the maintenance of the HP. Temps slightly above average.

post-12275-0-31858900-1409346051_thumb.g

post-12275-0-19469900-1409346060_thumb.p

post-12275-0-73544000-1409346072_thumb.p

post-12275-0-49348900-1409346084_thumb.p

post-12275-0-18942800-1409346095_thumb.p

post-12275-0-47907100-1409346107_thumb.p

post-12275-0-34581100-1409346127_thumb.p

post-12275-0-67361400-1409346138_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM and GFS starting to agree on next week - settled conditions, not wall to wall sunshine but sunny 'spells' expected - the orientation of the High no longer favours a southerly draw, but rather an easterly, meaning temperatures slightly above average for most but not exceptional 20-23C being highly likely, maybe a stray 25C in spots favoured in easterly set-ups (of which my back yard is one :] ). A tad disappointing for those hoping for one more hot blast, but pleasant enough.

Hints at retrogression later on, one to watch, certainly a possibility given the set up by T144 - quite a chilly prospect if it happens given the cold pooling up to the north.

Another example of ridging being overdone by the models in the mid-range, in this case the surface conditions look very similar, but the thicknesses within the high and hence the heat provided has been downgraded quite dramatically, this means a much weaker and flabbier high with mild to warm conditions compared to the heat projects a day or so back. Still September should start on a decent note.

The models are struggling from next Friday onwards as they handle the incoming Atlantic trough, the solutions differ greatly from this mornings suite, so worth waiting on that, though settled does look like being the consistent thing, just where the high will end up being centred is the question.

ECM ens show that the ECM op has again potentially overdone the retrogression, UK high favoured

EDM1-144.GIF?29-0

EDM1-192.GIF?29-0

EDM1-240.GIF?29-0

So fine and warm with good sunny spells once any troublesome fronts are cleared at the start of next week. Morning mist and fog could be an issue with potentially some chilly nights too in rural areas. The UK high solution is also favoured on the GFS ens for week 2.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry not quite with "thicknesses within the high and hence the heat provided" CS. I'm aware that thicknesses are a function of temperature structure but I'm struggling with the hence the heat provided bit. Unless you are saying the later thicknesses are an indication of a cooler air mass

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sorry not quite with "thicknesses within the high and hence the heat provided" CS. I'm aware that thicknesses are a function of temperature structure but I'm struggling with the hence the heat provided bit. Unless you are saying the later thicknesses are an indication of a cooler air mass

Fair enough, it is odd that as we have got closer to the next week,  the 850s have been diluted dramatically whilst the surface charts have remained pretty similar. Either the northwards push of the warm air is not as strong as it was previously predicted, or something else is going on. 

Edited by Captain shortwave