Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted

Serious flooding likely in Chesterfield. Frequent angry thunder to the south, lightning observed, and a slow moving train of torrential precip heading through Chesterfield as we speak. Big flood problems expected there I think.

I'm around four miles to the east of Chesterfield and the rain is getting heavier now, although we're not yet under the heaviest part of the precipitation. Business is picking up right now though.

Posted

Serious flooding likely in Chesterfield. Frequent angry thunder to the south, lightning observed, and a slow moving train of torrential precip heading through Chesterfield as we speak. Big flood problems expected there I think.

Hardly no rain in Hasland...yet. It does seem a very a narrow but fairly active band heading between the south of town and Unstone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Can see the anvil of that system by the peak district to the south of me. Missed again >:(

Nothing else but blue sky.

Edited by Jonathan Lang

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very heavy rain here with thunder and lightning still on going. . Edit now stopped leaving 10.8mm in the last hour.

post-12319-0-03627900-1406830713_thumb.j

post-12319-0-73849100-1406830786_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Seems to have built on the southern edge, meaning I can hear LOADS of thunder rumbling but little in the way of lightning, and, other than the earlier cloudburst, no rain to speak of. Would be seeing loads of IC flashes if it was nighttime lol.

Posted

Directly above.

Absolute monsoon like conditions with pea sized hail

Edited by OddSpot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The strike rate in that cell near Chesterfield is impressive. It looks to be between Matlock and Chesterfield currently.

The strike rate in that cell near Chesterfield is impressive. It looks to be between Matlock and Chesterfield currently.

Yep hearing a lot of thunder to the south. Bone dry here now. Wish it was nighttime!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Wow 0.2mm of rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Just had one single flash of lightning to the east of me here but didn't here the thunder.The rain gauge has recorded 8mm of rain in 20mins so at least the garden has at last had a water!!.

Posted

Oh wow what a storm! Direct hit again! Pea to marble sized hail and lots of lightning, thought i was going to lose a window at one point! Was very gusty as it passed over the car aswell! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Some welcome rain here for about 20 mins, just side swiped by the bulk of it. A few rumbles of thunder in the distance. Wasn't expecting the rain to be this far south so quite a pleasant surprise :)

Posted

Lots of moisture rising up out the Valleys here now, a much fresher feel.

post-12319-0-94008500-1406835457_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted

Well, the storm earlier (4pm ish) that was heading for Leicester was a real non event... It looked about the size and severity that I can just about cope with so went for a walk to town (plenty of safe shelter areas as well as places NOT to be) so a good de-sensitiser for me, unfortunately we had only a distant flash, and distant rumble so not much of a test... Never mind, anything heading my way tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Liking the look of Saturday morning with a trough moving up from France on the UKMO charts - could be another 4am thunderfest. :good:

• Like 2

Posted

Liking the look of Saturday morning with a trough moving up from France on the UKMO charts - could be another 4am thunderfest. :good:

Hmmm yes, John Hammond just mentioned that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Estofex forecast out: "Increased DLS and better storm organization is expected over British Isles". 

http://www.estofex.org/

Edited by poseidon
  • Like 1

Posted

The BBC were talking about thunderstorms being imported from France into the SE and EA during the early hours of tomorrow. GFS doesn't appear to support this with little in the way of CAPE or precipitation forecast although lapse rates do increase towards tomorrow morning to the SE and E of London. NMM does show around 500j/kg of MLCAPE moving up from the south into that same SE corner towards morning and then tomorrow both models develop some decent CAPE and lapse rates across all of the SE and EA for Saturday. Neither GFS or NMM show heavy precipitation but the Euro 4 does for the early hours (although this is still on it's 18z run as I type this).

From this morning's runs I think it is worth highlighting the possibilities of a brief plume of thunderstorms from the continent affecting the likes of Kent, Sussex, Essex early tomorrow and then Suffolk and eventually Norfolk through tomorrow morning/afternoon. If BBC are correct then we need to bring this all about a few hours earlier, which would be good for some more night time lightning across the likes of Kent/Essex/Sussex once more.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Going back home today from France. In total, I've had 2 thunderstorms. 1 nearby severe thunderstorm and a light thunderstorm overhead.

• Like 2

Posted

The BBC were talking about thunderstorms being imported from France into the SE and EA during the early hours of tomorrow. GFS doesn't appear to support this with little in the way of CAPE or precipitation forecast although lapse rates do increase towards tomorrow morning to the SE and E of London. NMM does show around 500j/kg of MLCAPE moving up from the south into that same SE corner towards morning and then tomorrow both models develop some decent CAPE and lapse rates across all of the SE and EA for Saturday. Neither GFS or NMM show heavy precipitation but the Euro 4 does for the early hours (although this is still on it's 18z run as I type this).

From this morning's runs I think it is worth highlighting the possibilities of a brief plume of thunderstorms from the continent affecting the likes of Kent, Sussex, Essex early tomorrow and then Suffolk and eventually Norfolk through tomorrow morning/afternoon. If BBC are correct then we need to bring this all about a few hours earlier, which would be good for some more night time lightning across the likes of Kent/Essex/Sussex once more.

Last night I saw increasing signs of mid level instability in the dusky skies, and then this morning it is markedly more humid than of late...quite unbearable on the train actually.

Today, into tonight and tomorrow could well be interesting.

Posted

I've just been reflecting on some of the monsters we've had during July as we now move into August, which is statistically the UK's most thundery month. Will we see another excellent plume that will match or even beat July's? We'll certainly know in 31 days time!

August is traditionally the best month for storms in Norfolk - it better live up to that tradition as we were poorly served by the last "event"!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Going back home today from France. In total, I've had 2 thunderstorms. 1 nearby severe thunderstorm and a light thunderstorm overhead.

Hope you enjoyed your stay - I think you'll be missing some real thunderstorm potential over here...ah well!