Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and convective discussion 7th July Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I use Rain Today for nowcasting. Just type 'rain radar' into google and it's usually the second result titled 'Will it rain today?'

Great site - should work on all platforms too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Latest fax chart for Saturday looks mouth watering with a trough lying down Eastern areas

and cold front in the West.

Posted ImagePPVM89.gif

Something for everyone perhaps.

18z gfs dewpoints for saturday look very healthy.

Posted Image90-101UK.gif

20c dewpoint, my word that is going to feel 'Singapore hot'!

Posted

Latest fax chart for Saturday looks mouth watering with a trough lying down Eastern areas

and cold front in the West.

Posted ImagePPVM89.gif

Something for everyone perhaps.

18z gfs dewpoints for saturday look very healthy.

Posted Image90-101UK.gif

Ooh look! A cold front in the west during the morning again. It will arrive in the east during the afternoon, just in time for peak heating. Somewhere like erm say Lincolnshire? lol

Edited by davehsug
  • Like 6

Posted

Check the latest 18z nmm for friday!!crazy cape readings and temps getting up to 32 degrees in london and up to 30 in the east midlands!!22 degree dewpoints to boot!!scary indeed!!

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst on this subject for the oncoming storm/s

What are the most important ingredients that make lightning hit the ground/object, or flash between or inside the clouds??

Or is it just random?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Latest warning from the Met Office covers most of England for Saturday! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=4

Bugger was going to find the highest hill around here and use myself as an earth rod...

• Like 2

Posted

Whilst on this subject for the oncoming storm/s

What are the most important ingredients that make lightning hit the ground/object, or flash between or inside the clouds??

Or is it just random?

Polarisation, what exactly makes clouds produce lightning is relatively unknown at this time although one theory i've read states that a possibility is absorbed photons have a charge which is co-incidentally opposite that of the charge produced by the upper layers of a thunderstorm. The two come into contact and you get lightning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Carol K has stopped any storms for Saturday. Luckily she didn't say humdingers changing to spectacular instead. Ah that means drizzle showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The GFS 00z is looking a bit tasty for the rest of this week and the weekend. There looks to be several thundery plumes moving north through different parts of the country with daytime temperatures high 20's/low 30's and night time temps high teens/low 20's along with high humidity. It is likely to feel uncomfortable, especially for sleeping, but I doubt us storm fans will be doing much of that!

Even today offers some possibilities, I am liking an area from the Bristol channel, through the southern and eastern Midlands towards the Wash. It'll be too far south for me today but I am saving petrol/energy for later in the week anyhow. Storms today nothing compared to what is being currently shown for later in the week (lets just hope they come off!). 

So several bites of the cherries, if you live in the western portion of the UK you probably need to be watching Thursday night/Friday - if you live in the middle slice then it is Friday afternoon/evening and if you live in the east it is Friday night/Saturday on current GFS run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Certainly thinking that we have a big chance from Friday night onwards through to Sunday/

ECM

Posted Image

We can see a disturbance developing over central France, this over the course of Saturday moves north/north west

Posted Image

By Saturday night it is sitting slap bang over the UK

But instead of clearing north, the low will stall and start to pull away south east into the continent. 

Posted Image

So drying out by Monday, though some thunderstorms could still occur in the south east.

There could be a large mix of potential imported storms as well as home grown ones under the shallow low pressure system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Bbc just warning of spectacular thunderstorms on Saturday

Well that's put the tin lid on the whole thing then  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Hopefully it doesn't get too squally or you might end up :bad:

No crossing the English Channel will be quite calm I would think by then.

Posted

I wouldn't be so certain yet. I expectant changes still yet as it's only Tuesday!

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up until I get to France as we always say nothing much gets over here from the continent. If I don't get anything Thursday Night then Friday Night into Saturday is my next hope as I travel through a large area of precipitation and high instability from the Rennes area to Ile De Re.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

ECMWF precip charts on wunderground show a direct hit for much of the country on Saturday with storms moving due north, it won't of course play out as expected and probably won't be as severe/interesting as forecast but promising signs so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Liking the look of this one for the SE - overnight imports a go go......

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up until I get to France as we always say nothing much gets over here from the continent. If I don't get anything Thursday Night then Friday Night into Saturday is my next hope as I travel through a large area of precipitation and high instability from the Rennes area to Ile De Re.

You should see some awesome storms I'd imagine. Ile de re is such a nice place aswell !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I always look forward to Nick F's convective outlooks, but let's just say, having just looked at the overnight output, I'm REALLY looking forward to it!  :D

El Apocalypso is coming!

Posted

You should see some awesome storms I'd imagine. Ile de re is such a nice place aswell !!

1500 j/kg shown on our route!

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

"Friday night may see a more widespread risk of thunderstorm move up from the south, initially across southern areas early Saturday morning, before storms spread north across central and northern areas during Saturday, with very warm and sunny conditions too." This "widespread risk" of thunderstorms will be originating from where I am staying near Rennes. Hopefully I'll give you a head start.  :rofl: 

Posted

What's likely to kick-off in the east Midlands (Leicester) this afternoon/evening?

The reason I ask is because on our BBC local news/weather the potential storms over our region this afternoon has been downgraded to only light and patchy light rain!! Also thunderstorm bias has gone from our region Thurs, Fri, Sat and morphed into showers with Sunday being heavy, but not a single hint of the apocalyptic storms being mentioned on main national BBC forecast!!!!!

Edited by Speedway Slider