Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Bloody typical - I'm flying off to Benidorm this weekend for a stag-do! Looks as if I've already missed storms there this week and then will be flying out the day they are due here....spotting a trend developing this year...2 thunder days by the end of June 2014 is frankly abysmal and could be a year to rival 2010 which was my worst ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Harry, knowing our T-Storm history, I doubt you'll miss anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Kent used to be a real good place for it though. You used to get the brunt of the imports! Whatever has happened to all of that *sigh*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Not that I often follow the BBC 5-dayers as they are rarely correct, Friday featured a lightning symbol for the West Country on Friday. TV forecasts also mentioned slow moving thundery showers just about anywhere across the southern half of the country. At least being a slacker flow, thunderstorms could pop up all over the place.

London has a thunder symbol from the beeb on Friday too! Not often that they whip those out! If it is still there tomorrow, then it might happen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

London has a thunder symbol from the beeb on Friday too! Not often that they whip those out! If it is still there tomorrow, then it might happen!

The MO and BBC had them for tomorrow and Saturday for here, they soon got removed. :laugh:

Posted

Some how I suspect I'm going to get texts and all sorts telling about the amazing storms :cray:

Still, July and August still to go - as I've said before on other threads, historically (that I remember anyway) July and especially August are best for imports/storm activity - hopefully this year will revert to what the 90s were like :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Bloody typical - I'm flying off to Benidorm this weekend for a stag-do! Looks as if I've already missed storms there this week and then will be flying out the day they are due here....spotting a trend developing this year...2 thunder days by the end of June 2014 is frankly abysmal and could be a year to rival 2010 which was my worst ever.

I would have been delighted to have got just two thunder days most years! 

Posted

Got back from France last night after spending 4 days over there. Spent Sat - Mon in Lourdes near the Pyrenees and Sunday there were a couple of rumbles in the afternoon but overnight into Monday there were storms flashing away over the mountains from 9pm to around 4am. The frequency of the lightning around 10-11pm was like nothing I have ever seen, it was almost constant, but with very little thunder (elevated). I was sitting out on my balcony watching them into the early hours. 

The timing of the storms and the direction they took was forecast spot on by Estofex with an increase in activity through the evening and night as moisture increased along with a trough feature pushing in from northern Spain.

Back to the UK, I have my eye on Friday and then Saturday is the 28th June... enough said :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Got back from France last night after spending 4 days over there. Spent Sat - Mon in Lourdes near the Pyrenees and Sunday there were a couple of rumbles in the afternoon but overnight into Monday there were storms flashing away over the mountains from 9pm to around 4am. The frequency of the lightning around 10-11pm was like nothing I have ever seen, it was almost constant, but with very little thunder (elevated). I was sitting out on my balcony watching them into the early hours. 

The timing of the storms and the direction they took was forecast spot on by Estofex with an increase in activity through the evening and night as moisture increased along with a trough feature pushing in from northern Spain.

Back to the UK, I have my eye on Friday and then Saturday is the 28th June... enough said :D

The 2 Year anniversary!.......sadly not the same type of setup, but the potential is there for a flashing and banging celebration!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Hasn't it been about 3 years since El Gordo?

That's the last time I saw an even remotely decent storm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I have my eyes on tomorrow evening/night, Friday and Saturday as being a possibility. Slack air flow with ok CAPE and Lifted Index means the chance is there but the possibility of seeing anything is low due to the showers being of convective nature and not associated as a trough or front. However, I think most people will see some rain over the next few days but anything thundery is not widespread but who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I have my eyes on tomorrow evening/night, Friday and Saturday as being a possibility. Slack air flow with ok CAPE and Lifted Index means the chance is there but the possibility of seeing anything is low due to the showers being of convective nature and not associated as a trough or front. However, I think most people will see some rain over the next few days but anything thundery is not widespread but who knows.

post-15177-0-18980100-1403719552_thumb.g:acute:

Posted

The 2 Year anniversary!.......sadly not the same type of setup, but the potential is there for a flashing and banging celebration!

It's also the 9 year anniversary of a fantastic MCS that moved north from the continent in 2005 after days of temperatures in the 80's. Not anything like as good set up but as you say, some flashing and banging and I am not averse to a bit of banging on a Saturday night (notice I left the flashing out, I will leave that to the professionals :D).

• Like 1

Posted

It's also the 9 year anniversary of a fantastic MCS that moved north from the continent in 2005 after days of temperatures in the 80's. Not anything like as good set up but as you say, some flashing and banging and I am not averse to a bit of banging on a Saturday night (notice I left the flashing out, I will leave that to the professionals :D).

I wish I had videoed that event. All you could see was Huge Dark CB's encroaching from the South with amazing lightning. I remember rapidly developing intense cells forming ahead of the main lot though, one of these directly overhead knocked my sky tv out at around 9PM and the rain that followed straight after was simply incredible. THEN, the main event came, that Huge MCS that must have covered an area the size of the whole of East Anglia trundling directly N. Lightning lasted pretty much all night until 3AM and did not weaken at all (which i remember actually Peter Gibbo mentioning it would do as it moved North!) The lightning that was produced that night involved anvil crawlers, some of which became CG's! endless spectacular C-C and C-G lightning and constant booming basey thunder, which was still heard banging away into Yorkshire etc. 

That along with 31st August 2005 were the last ''PROPER'' events (23rd July last year being the exception). Feel so sorry for kids these days not being able to see the stuff we did as kids/teenagers!!

Nevertheless, we do at least have some potential coming up :)

Posted

I'll bank on somewhere in Cambridgeshire or West Suffolk/Norfolk getting thunder. perhaps widespread in those areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

For gods sake I've had absolutely nothing this year :( some distant thunder and flashes but nothing within 30 km...

Posted

Decent site for some nostalgic 90's/early 2000's displays. Amazingly in the Northwest of England as well !! Just shows how much things really have changed.

http://www.ravenstorm.co.uk/stormchasing/highlights/ 

Look at the overshooting tops on those! Remember this event well.

post-17277-0-50494500-1403731310_thumb.j

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

MetO got that sexy thunderstorm symbol for my area Saturday,  Accuweather has been shouting out about thunderstorms for the past few days says now for Saturday and Sunday. I will totally go against what I normally want and hope any storms come Sunday as It's little ones School fair Saturday, so nothing between 11am -3pm that day please. But on the bright side, it seems to be a bit of a vantage point for any building weather at the School, so at least if anything does come i'm in a good place to know if we need to take cover or not. :good:

Edited by Dami

Posted

Decent site for some nostalgic 90's/early 2000's displays. Amazingly in the Northwest of England as well !! Just shows how much things really have changed.

http://www.ravenstorm.co.uk/stormchasing/highlights/ 

Look at the overshooting tops on those! Remember this event well.

That storm system on the satellite produced severe flooding around Northallerton and Thirsk. I was chasing that storm but could not get to it because of all the roads being blocked off. Instead I listened to it rumble off into the distance.

• Like 2

Posted

That storm system on the satellite produced severe flooding around Northallerton and Thirsk. I was chasing that storm but could not get to it because of all the roads being blocked off. Instead I listened to it rumble off into the distance.

I remember seeing the huge Cb tops of those muticell clusters. I would've loved to have chased those, but being like 14 years old at the time... haha! 

What I saw on the news that day was incredible though. Rainfall rates in those were tremendous, along with the lightning rates too.

• Like 1

Posted

Heading for a chase yourself at some point Supacell?

I may do if something crops up Friday evening in the local area but I will be at work until around 4-5pm so may miss the best of it. Unfortunately not free to chase over the weekend. 

Posted

I may do if something crops up Friday evening in the local area but I will be at work until around 4-5pm so may miss the best of it. Unfortunately not free to chase over the weekend. 

I reckon Cambridgeshire fens towards Cambridge, Huntingdon and perhaps into North Essex would be the hotspots as it stands, maybe a line along the likes of the A14 too. Best of luck if you do go. I think I might do.

• Like 1