Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted

Marginal chance of thunderstorms today with weak mid level lapse rates, which means cloud tops are likely to be limited.Forecast Skewt's suggest up until mid afternoon for most areas a Cap exists at 500hPa. In addition lightning wizard level of free convection charts suggest limited lift apart from some southern counties late afternoon. Wind convergence aloft for the most part will not help either.  Showers/Storms seem likely to initiate along low level wind convergence boudaries where moisture pools possibly aided by orographic lifting and definately in response to diurnal heating.post-2809-0-93025600-1404727401_thumb.pn  NMM charts suggest some vorticity approaches from the south west during the day and another sliver moving up through the eastern central part of the UK from the south.  There is some wind speed shear through mid levels and some marked directional shear in the 925hpa to 850hpa region particularly towards the west. Some possibility of very weak convergence type tornadoes and updraft downdraft seperation due to shear aloft, but directional shear seems at the wrong level for super cell development.  There is a sliver of drier air at 500hpa which could enhance convection from the isle of wight to lincolnshire.  Key area to watch in my view would be somewhere from around Glastonbury through to Reading and perhaps as far as London particularly places just north of London.

• Like 5

Posted

Some big TCU going up here already. Looking more promising than anything I've seen for a week or two

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

There were noctilucent clouds visible in NW London a couple of nights ago! Missed all the showers here yesterday, looks like I will do the same today!

Quite a spectacular showing in Birmingham this morningpost-12214-0-99873600-1404733446_thumb.ppost-12214-0-48719200-1404733483_thumb.ppost-12214-0-15658600-1404733746_thumb.pEasy to see how my parents could have made the mistake of thinking they were seeing the Northern lights as a regular occurence during the 1940/50slooking forward to this afternoons events....As an afternoon down the scrumpy hut kind of blurred yesterdays storms
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Afternoon all ,just like to report two distant rumbles of thunder at approx 13.38 pm and very dark looking towards s west ,im on west Mendip ,north Somerset ..radar now showing a good area of showers across west somerset ,lets hope this can progress further east with the sun hopefully aiding the system ,cheers .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looks like anything is going to miss Kent from the radar.

Posted

Thought there would be more showers than there has been here today only second one just going through now,haven't had much sunshine either accept for about half hour after this morning's rain,been overcast for much of the day so hopes of something thundery here are slim,still a few hours left for something to happen but i dont think anything will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Quite a spectacular showing in Birmingham this morningEasy to see how my parents could have made the mistake of thinking they were seeing the Northern lights as a regular occurence during the 1940/50slooking forward to this afternoons events....As an afternoon down the scrumpy hut kind of blurred yesterdays storms

Nice photos Arnie! Yes they do look like the northern lights! Your display was better than the one I had! Clouded over here now, but no showers!

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning out for tomorrow from the met office

Issued at: 1359 on Mon 7 Jul 2014

Valid from: 1100 on Tue 8 Jul 2014

Valid to: 1900 on Tue 8 Jul 2014

Slow-moving heavy showers, with possible thunder, are likely to develop from late morning on Tuesday across some eastern parts of England and Scotland. The public should be aware of possible surface water flooding, although, as is often the case in such situations, many places will escape the heaviest downpours.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A slack area of low pressure and a relatively moist airmass will be ingredients for some intense showers through daytime on Tuesday. These will probably be focused into slow-moving bands, which increases the risk of localised impacts, with perhaps in excess of 30 mm in a 2 hour period. Of course the slow-moving nature also means that areas not too far away could see very little rainfall. The areas under threat are a little uncertain, and may be adjusted in a subsequent issue

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1404774000&regionName=uk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Nice photos Arnie! Yes they do look like the northern lights! Your display was better than the one I had! Clouded over here now, but no showers!

There's a thread for the noctilucent clouds - would be great if you could post those in there too :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80231-noctilucent-clouds-2014/

Cheers both

Ceartainly the best viewing of the 'false Northern lights' I`ve ever seen

Posted on the correct thread and included this mornings Brumcam live coverage :good:

Hopefully go towards proving my parents " During the war" misunderstanding once and for all

• Like 1

Posted

Yep a bit pants that - we've made a change to the model physics just now which has speeded up the convective development a tad. 

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Sferics over Warwickshire headed towards Coventry, very ominous clouds there:

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/webcam.htm

http://draycotewater.co.uk/weather-info/weather-cam/

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sferics over Warwickshire headed towards Coventry, very ominous clouds there:

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/webcam.htm

http://draycotewater.co.uk/weather-info/weather-cam/

The same showers heading up this way too, although I am not expecting any TL by the time they reach Derby.

Posted

Sferic near Corby, not much action from the Coventry cells

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Quite spoilt today, lots of heavy showers with a torrential downpour at work in Honiton, the roads became flooded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Posted

Surprising how often that happens Scott, TWS swears by it :)