Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread


Recommended Posts

The feel of things at this time of year in terms of light levels is highly dependent on the nature of the weather. A cloudy overcast day can make a day feel a good couple of hours shorter in terms of daylight than a bright sunshine filled day. It is more noticeable in the evening, by this stage in the year a wet afternoon produces very low light levels by 3.30-4pm and we see an early natural dusk, yet a clear sky in mid afternoon often means moderate light levels lasting until around 4.30 even close to 5pm.

 

The dark days before Christmas are associated with overcast skies and a descent into darkness around 3.30pm, in Scotland more like 3pm, you really have to make the most of the morning at this time of year..

 

Whilst the evening slowly draw out from mid Dec, conversely the mornings only very slowly start to draw out from early Jan and they are painfully slow, making for in the main darker mornings in Jan than Dec.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It's quite amazing how fast the winter solstice is approaching. I think the very mild weather recently has helped late October and November to pass by quite quickly. Now we're at that point where we have Christmas to distract us from the darkest depths of winter too.

Not long now until we begin the journey back to those beautiful warm and sunny evenings. This will eventually be the view from my deck again:
 

On the contrary, the mild and exceptionally dull conditions that have come with it has made it drag more than ever for most this year I imagine. There has been hardly any sunshine so it has felt dark for ages and we aren't even at the Solstice yet!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Lol, I expected that.  I can see why it has dragged for some people, but mild weather helps the autumn/winter to pass by quickly for me. It's cold that makes it drag, personally.

Agreed I've found the past few Autumns and winters have gone by quite quickly

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It's quite amazing how fast the winter solstice is approaching. I think the very mild weather recently has helped late October and November to pass by quite quickly. Now we're at that point where we have Christmas to distract us from the darkest depths of winter too.

Not long now until we begin the journey back to those beautiful warm and sunny evenings. This will eventually be the view from my deck again:

20150808_093345.thumb.jpg.2fe38d44685951

Dreading those hot humid nights,defeats me why anybody enjoys it! At least now one can get a good nights sleep!!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Dreading those hot humid nights,defeats me why anybody enjoys it! At least now one can get a good nights sleep!!

Because we have so many hit and humid nights in this country....

Just a week and a but until the evenings start drawing out again! The good times will soon be round. But yes, Christmas is a good distraction now for the next few weeks from that. I do enjoy very much all the houses lit up at this time of year. :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Because we have so many hit and humid nights in this country....

Just a week and a but until the evenings start drawing out again! The good times will soon be round. But yes, Christmas is a good distraction now for the next few weeks from that. I do enjoy very much all the houses lit up at this time of year. :)

One humid night is one to many in my opinion! Loving the cooler weather on the horizon,long may it last for!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Some of us are still able to enjoy ourselves, regardless of how much sunlight there is.

No kidding. The shorter days can be a minor inconvenience but unless your entire life revolves around late-evening outdoor activities it isn't the end of the world. It's just 2-3 months of the year - it'll pass in no time. I mean, it's nearly 2016 already!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cheese said:

No kidding. The shorter days can be a minor inconvenience but unless your entire life revolves around late-evening outdoor activities it isn't the end of the world. It's just 2-3 months of the year - it'll pass in no time. I mean, it's nearly 2016 already!

Indeed. Life is short. Make the most of it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Only 3 more minutes of light to lose here in the evening then its back on the upwards slope back to warmer lighter evenings.

 

Well given that both January and February are on average colder than December, that upward slope to warmer evenings has a couple of months yet. As the saying goes, "As the days grow longer, the cold grows stronger"!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Relativistic Sting Jet said:

Well given that both January and February are on average colder than December, that upward slope to warmer evenings has a couple of months yet. As the saying goes, "As the days grow longer, the cold grows stronger"!

Conversely as the days get shorter the weather gets hotter! Oh the beauties of lag. Lol. :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost 4pm and its not totally dark makes a change of late given all the cloud we've had Wednesday marks the earlies the sun sets here (15:41) after that its just the sunrise which continues to get later

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I, for one, cannot wait for the days to start lengthening; the last few weeks have been so dull that my SAD is really starting to take hold, now...Only a few more days!:D

It would have made zilch difference it has predominately been constantly overcast 24 hours of the day IMBY for at least the last 4 weeks due to this mild tosh. November was probably the most overcast month I can ever recall we had some sunshine on Friday and that was an anomaly. :nonono:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6 December 2015 at 10:42 AM, Relativistic Sting Jet said:

Well given that both January and February are on average colder than December, that upward slope to warmer evenings has a couple of months yet. As the saying goes, "As the days grow longer, the euro trash high grows stronger"!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well both monday and tues gave me an hour sat in the sun !!???

Had to take my Shirt off on Monday!!!

Two weeks to Solstice and I'm sunbathing!!!

My facebook page was bust reminding me of the amount of snow we had down 5 years ago at this point...... I'll take sunbathing thanks....... and note that, 5 years ago, Hameron made it plain we could clean our paths without fear of being sued........ guess he'd just bomb it today?..........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...