The changing daylight hours thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Nick L said:

Imagine if we were on BST, it would still be dark until 8.30 ?

welcome to my world..its 8.40am still no sun up

1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Apparently the sun's intensity today is exactly the same as it was on Halloween! ???☀️

WINDOWSEAT.CA

Been noticing a tad more strength in the sun recently. ? But it's weird how the sun strength in April is equivalent to August! 

• Like 1
On 03/02/2020 at 15:37, cheeky_monkey said:

welcome to my world..its 8.40am still no sun up

You get stupid hours of sun in the summer though so life has its compensations - i would take 24 hour darkness all year around i would.

26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You get stupid hours of sun in the summer though so life has its compensations - i would take 24 hour darkness all year around i would.

i dont though...yes it stays light to past 11pm..but sunrise doesn't happen until 5.30am around the solstice..there only seems to be short window of light mornings here..maybe as much as 2 months less than the UK

• 4 weeks later...

The USA and Canada have gone forward 1 hour today to mark the start of summer time

Still another 3-weeks to go for us in the UK and Europe

18 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

It is noticeable that we are now seeing sunset after 6pm or at least light until then. 

And if we were on BST all year, just think it would be light until 7 now, much more useful IMO

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

And if we were on BST all year, just think it would be light until 7 now, much more useful IMO

...and it would still be dark at 9am in December, no thanks. 

On 08/03/2020 at 06:19, Summer Sun said:

The USA and Canada have gone forward 1 hour today to mark the start of summer time

Still another 3-weeks to go for us in the UK and Europe

yep and now its gone back to still being dark past 8 am..most depressing time of the year

2 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Increasing warmth in the sun now!

March 16th's sun strength is equivalent to September 26th. ☀️

Yes whilst the sun at this time of year has same strength as late Sept, there is a marked difference in average air temps, 7-10 degree mark for many now, compared to 15-17 in late September.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes whilst the sun at this time of year has same strength as late Sept, there is a marked difference in average air temps, 7-10 degree mark for many now, compared to 15-17 in late September.

Plus the nights are still colder compared to late September, although I would say late August into early September is when we start to notice the return of those fresher mornings. 

I guess it will be mid to late April when we start to feel the early mornings become warmer and more summery in feel.

On 16/03/2020 at 16:05, Sunny76 said:

Plus the nights are still colder compared to late September, although I would say late August into early September is when we start to notice the return of those fresher mornings. 

I guess it will be mid to late April when we start to feel the early mornings become warmer and more summery in feel.

still blooming -30c at night here...wont be until mid late June we get mornings that are above 5c or so

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice blues skies at the moment approaching 7pm. Fully appreciating the extra hour of light in the evenings at last! ☀️

The sun strength is now equivalent to September 9th. ?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Nice blues skies at the moment approaching 7pm. Fully appreciating the extra hour of light in the evenings at last! ☀️

The sun strength is now equivalent to September 9th. ?

Yeah, we’re In proper daylight now for sure...I feel like it’s still good until late August when we start the quick slide into darkness again. Enjoy the next 5 months summer lovers!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful sunny week coming up with high UV forecast for southern half of the UK. The sun strength is now equivalent to August 23rd. ☀️

But UV 6 seems unusually high for mid April.. has there been some ozone depletion - anyone know?

uvhigh.thumb.png.75b123ede095af3a268fe2b46a3da79d.png

27 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Beautiful sunny week coming up with high UV forecast for southern half of the UK. The sun strength is now equivalent to August 23rd. ☀️

But UV 6 seems unusually high for mid April.. has there been some ozone depletion - anyone know?

uvhigh.thumb.png.75b123ede095af3a268fe2b46a3da79d.png

There has been ozone depletion - mainly

down to the record strength PV for such a large chunk of winter. The cold PV caused a lot of polar stratospheric clouds (below -78c) to form this year, and these release a lot of CFCs that destroy the ozone. It should repair  reasonably quickly as we go forwards.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just to add to the gloom in the summer thread, we are now only 10 days away from the longest day of the year.

Today has been very poor on light level front, low levels all day, this evening especially so, its dark and gloomy evening - at this time of year under clear skies it often doesn't take until 11pm before light levels drop to a dusky twilight.

Today has been a bit of an oddity it feels given all the sunshine of late. I feel like I do in September, not a good feeling. It proves how much we need light and sunshine to give ourselves a boost, not least given the miserable state of things at present. Again a reminder how much worse things would be feeling had the last 3 months happened say from September onwards. Thank goodness we have the summer ahead of us.

• Like 1

Personally can’t wait until we are past the longest day, these long light days I find horrible - I know it is strange but I genuinely get depressed because of the long days.  I suffer from depression anyway but this time of year it gets worse and I tend to have to up my medication.  I really long for the darker evenings so roll on September it can’t come soon enough for me!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Bobafet said:

Personally can’t wait until we are past the longest day, these long light days I find horrible - I know it is strange but I genuinely get depressed because of the long days.  I suffer from depression anyway but this time of year it gets worse and I tend to have to up my medication.  I really long for the darker evenings so roll on September it can’t come soon enough for me!

That’s an interesting one - I’ve never actually heard of this until now. You learn something new every day! Clearly there’s a good chunk of people that suffer from SAD in the winter due to lack of light.....I wasn’t aware that people struggle due to too much light in summer!