Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I've been doing some nights (finishing at 4am) and the daylight is really drawing to a close.   But I seem to remember how quick winter went, and it was soon June 21st.  This winter will probably not be any different, although I suspect we might be in for something more seasonable Nov-Jan, and I don't mean snow. But we are well overdue a wet and wild period.

I don't mind a seasonal Autumn with disturbed weather - severe gales & heavy rain as long as it doesn't carry on well into the Winter. Although I've known many March's that have had more snow than the Winter. But it's a little too late by then. What's the point in 6 inches of snow for it to all melt by mid day in the strengthening March sun? Then again snow is better than none. Nothing quite like snow at Christmas though. Feels much more festive.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't mind a seasonal Autumn with disturbed weather - severe gales & heavy rain as long as it doesn't carry on well into the Winter. Although I've known many March's that have had more snow than the Winter. But it's a little too late by then. What's the point in 6 inches of snow for it to all melt by mid day in the strengthening March sun? Then again snow is better than none. Nothing quite like snow at Christmas though. Feels much more festive.

Melted by midday? What about March 2018 and 2013? or maybe 2006,2001,1995,1987,1986,1979,1975,1970,1969,1963,1962,need I go on,not forgetting 1947!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Melted by midday? What about March 2018 and 2013? or maybe 2006,2001,1995,1987,1986,1979,1975,1970,1969,1963,1962,need I go on,not forgetting 1947!

Most of those you mention were exceptional March's with easterlys, very low dew points & a heavier amount of snow than I mentioned with drifts so the snow will stick around for longer. But pre 2009 and after 1996 we mostly got polar maritime flows & even with a decent fall it doesn't hang around very long in full sun from March. Around the Winter Solstice you don't need to rely on the dew point as much because the sun has very low influence. So snow from any direction is good at that time of year. It just happens we rarely get snow before January or even February these days. November & December 2010 was amazing but that's getting on for 10 years ago now.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

March 1st 2018's snow down here did melt by midday - it was March 14th though. ?.  We had, exceptional for the southernmost tip of Wales, 50cm of lying snow recorded at the weather station in St Athan nearby and the lanes and even some notable main roads got smothered in drifts from the snow on farm fields around here during the storm.  We had a few inches laying on the fields around us for a few days afterwards but ten ft drifts left lanes plugged for 100s of yds.   

If I recall correctly we had a little weekend snow and ice about March 18th that was absolutely treacherous first thing.  I was the only one out and about in my trusty old Land Rover and had get my wife off a hill which beat her car.  As Frost Hollow notes, that lighter snowfall did indeed melt before midday in the mid-March sun

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2019 at 22:17, hillbilly said:

Melted by midday? What about March 2018 and 2013? or maybe 2006,2001,1995,1987,1986,1979,1975,1970,1969,1963,1962,need I go on,not forgetting 1947!

Yes, April snow would tend to melt by midday rather than March.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not expecting a cold winter. I have a feeling it’s going to be another mild one, which will probably mean boring and non eventful. 

But, I will hope for some cold crisp sunny days. We get those even during mild winters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not expecting a cold winter. I have a feeling it’s going to be another mild one, which will probably mean boring and non eventful. 

But, I will hope for some cold crisp sunny days. We get those even during mild winters.

Another mild winter would suit me well Sunny76, don't like the cold lol. Don't mind cold days too much as long as there's plenty of sun.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a decent winter lol, the last significant snow here was march 2013, the beast from the east produced very little from an imby perspective, it all looked so promising though, started around 8pm, huge flakes falling, setting nicely, then a pesky warm core invaded, and it turned to heavy rain for hours, just my luck, loving the darker evenings, September is a beautiful month, im hoping for a sunny September and October, the autumn colours are just amazing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, snowrye said:

I need a decent winter lol, the last significant snow here was march 2013, the beast from the east produced very little from an imby perspective, it all looked so promising though, started around 8pm, huge flakes falling, setting nicely, then a pesky warm core invaded, and it turned to heavy rain for hours, just my luck, loving the darker evenings, September is a beautiful month, im hoping for a sunny September and October, the autumn colours are just amazing 

You ended up with rain? Those uppers from the first beast in late Feb were about -15C & the one on 17th-18th March were about -12C. You were very unlucky. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

You ended up with rain? Those uppers from the first beast in late Feb were about -15C & the one on 17th-18th March were about -12C. You were very unlucky. 

You cannot possibly get rain with uppers of -15c, the thicknesses just wouldn't be high enough, its scientifically impossible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Trust me guys, I had rain, hopefully someone lives close to me on here, and will back me up, @SenlacJack is probably the closest to me

Which day was it? if it was much later in the week then it is possible as the uppers were lower then, but careful though, when you get very fine wintry PPN, it can often look like rain but be a form of snow, like very fine ice pellets etc, i had that on the thursday evening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't remember the day, it was the system that came through the channel, they were forecasting 10cm plus, as I said it started off as heavy snow, then it developed a secondary low with a warmer core, and it produced a thin layer of warmer air, if I can somehow go back to the regional thread archives, I was up till the early hours, commenting how annoying it was, hearing heavy raindrops hitting the velux

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Another mild winter would suit me well Sunny76, don't like the cold lol. Don't mind cold days too much as long as there's plenty of sun.

Yeah I know what you mean. Cold sunny days are better than snowy events or cold dull ones. I think a winter like 2011-12 would be ok, as that was the mildest one during the 2008-13 colder period.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/09/2019 at 22:55, snowrye said:

Trust me guys, I had rain, hopefully someone lives close to me on here, and will back me up, @SenlacJack is probably the closest to me

Hi, what dates/year are we discussing here ?  I moved down here in February 2015 but only started logging the weather over a year later and even then only with basic handwritten records.

I've only just seen this post so have been trying to locate my paperwork but have a horrible feeling that all apart from this years info the rest may have been inadvertantly scrapped in a recent clear out ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SenlacJack, pretty sure it was last winter, im in northiam, 70m asl, the system came in on a thurs evening I think, it started off as heavy snow, then it developed a warm layer, and I had heavy rain for much of the night, I could here it bouncing of the velux windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Its around now, we really do start to notice the ever decreasing light levels, wet overcast evenings produce a dusky light by half 6, and such nights become increasingly likely from now on, especially in these neck of the woods. In contrast a sunny late evening can still allow appreciable light levels at half 7 as occurred last night and the past few - very welcomed..

Mornings will soon as be as dark as those in late February.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...