Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

You notice increasing daylight by 2/3rd week of jan . Its not truly dark by 5pm

Posted

Gonna miss these really short days but I know it has to happen eventually. Roll on September/october again

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
    4 minutes ago, NUT said:

Gonna miss these really short days but I know it has to happen eventually. Roll on September/october again

Yep,totally agree. I suffer from reverse SAD in the summer,become very fidgety and uncomfortable,find sleeping hard. These short days are perfect for me,love them.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

For me it's sad that the days will soon be getting longer again. Guess I'll have to make the most of the short days until the end of January, before things become noticeably worse.

• Like 2
    Posted
    3 hours ago, markyo said:

Oh joy,can't wait to be woken up at 4am by streaming sunshine and birds screaming,then when tired at night after the early wake up to have the same sunlight keeping you awake......what joy can't wait:angry: .......i'd change the words to the xmas song..Mine would be i wish it could be Winter everyday!

Maybe Santa will buy you some blackout curtains for Christmas...

Posted
    13 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Full of joys in here tonight, perhaps some of you should become troglodytes :rofl:

Believe it or not but some of us actually don't like summer!!! Troglodyte...mmm sounds good to me:D Summer actually makes me feel ill to be serious,very down and irritable,not a nice person to be around. These darker,shorter,colder days i feel so much more alive and healthy,to be honest the longest day in June i rejoice,from then on it is the start of the journey back to the good times,feeling normal again. Each to their own,we are all different!

• Like 1
    Posted
    29 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Maybe Santa will buy you some blackout curtains for Christmas...

I live on my own,no family,no Santa.....Good job i hate Christmas then:)

21 minutes ago, markyo said:

Believe it or not but some of us actually don't like summer!!! Troglodyte...mmm sounds good to me:D Summer actually makes me feel ill to be serious,very down and irritable,not a nice person to be around. These darker,shorter,colder days i feel so much more alive and healthy,to be honest the longest day in June i rejoice,from then on it is the start of the journey back to the good times,feeling normal again. Each to their own,we are all different!

Lol, everyone to their own ,personally I can't stand the season hence why I'm off south of the equator for January .

• Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol, everyone to their own ,personally I can't stand the season hence why I'm off south of the equator for January .

Hope you enjoy January! Each to there own,wild horses wouldn't get me there!:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary!

Count yourself lucky we are in the UK, and most of summer is usually around 18-22c! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The afternoons may technically be lighter, but you won't really notice it for a good month or so yet.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The afternoons may technically be lighter, but you won't really notice it for a good month or so yet.

I "notice" it around 7th Jan., depending on weather conditions. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
    25 minutes ago, ciel said:

I "notice" it around 7th Jan., depending on weather conditions. :)

You do notice a little difference before the year is out  but other factors make big differences at this time of year.If it becomes misty/foggy it will get darker but if we get some moonlight it does extend the day a little longer.If on rare occasions we get snowcover and a full moon at this time it can become incredibly light even at night away from streetlights.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

BBC have it as Wednesday

02fbf50d-4096-47b4-81a7-e365aee59e25.thumb.png.97cb9c4889edb1fb62b0e47f5333e6af.png14406672-6d05-4508-91e4-079f590703e4.thumb.png.e02715a92eacc7f3eac55f42c6e31cd2.png

:cc_confused:

But yesterday Saturday was one minute sooner, it is very gradual until after Christmas.
    Annoyingly still getting later sunrise until January

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Even though it is a little while until it becomes properly noticeable the main thing is we are going in the right direction again from this coming week

:good:

• Like 1
    Posted

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Roll on BST.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted

Oh dear today was dreary, barely any light levels - a very definate dark days before christmas feel, and we have more on the way. Need those memories of late May and early June right now, when everything feels so positive.

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    18 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Oh dear today was dreary, barely any light levels - a very definate dark days before christmas feel, and we have more on the way. Need those memories of late May and early June right now, when everything feels so positive.

Yep agreed...its 8am and its still pitch dark outside and i have been at work for 2 hours..it wont get properly light here until about 9.30am then if cloudy like yesterday its getting dark again before 3pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: RACY, Extratropical Storm, Barocyclonic Leaf

Looking forward to the longer and warmer days in 4 months from now as i'll finally be able to get a few more walking-miles done again here in the Peaks, days like today when it's dark, light-drizzle, and fog on the hills aren't much fun.

• Like 1