Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Exactly 12 weeks to the shortest day now

Yes but less than 11 weeks until nights start getting longer and I would say most people are more bothered about evenings than mornings as that is 13 and a half weeks away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yes but less than 11 weeks until nights start getting longer and I would say most people are more bothered about evenings than mornings as that is 13 and a half weeks away!

Don't you mean shorter for the nights in 11 weeks? as they are getting longer now.

I agree though lighter nights are more useful to most than mornings

December 10th is the earliest when the sun sets in Darlo (15:39)

December 29th is the latest the sun rises in Darlo (08:28)

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

If we put the clocks forward at the end of February instead of March, we could have a bit more daylight a little sooner! It's stupid that the clocks go back 7-8 weeks before the solstice, but only go forward after the spring equinox.

• Like 1

Posted

If we put the clocks forward at the end of February instead of March, we could have a bit more daylight a little sooner! It's stupid that the clocks go back 7-8 weeks before the solstice, but only go forward after the spring equinox.

We should follow what the USA do clocks back early November and forward early March much better way of doing it

I have never understood with the UK an Europe leave it so late in March

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The clocks are perfectly fine the way they are. Actually no, put them forward later than March.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

They should stop messing with the time altogether, if people are stupid enough to have an accident in the dark then that's their own problem. Personal responsibility - something that's lacking these days.

• Like 1

Posted

You won't get a bit more daylight. You would just get the same amount of daylight.
  • Like 2

Posted

I think it's fine as it is. BST allows longer summer evenings (light at 10pm instead of 2am) when most people are out- and GMT ensures it's not dark at 930/10am.

bst is wasted for a large percentage of the year for the majority of the people...that is fact,even in the depths of winter it is only the north that have the darker mornings for just a few weeks,just a shame we never got to test out double summer time.Most people leave the house now in daylight....what a waste...!!!!

Posted

i wouldn't want it to get dark at 11 30 pm in june it will be even harder to get to sleep if its hot, anyway people go to bed really early in this country why do we need it to be daylight till gone 11pm? the clocks are fine as they are 

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

They should stop messing with the time altogether, if people are stupid enough to have an accident in the dark then that's their own problem. Personal responsibility - something that's lacking these days.

A bit harsh!

I think the current situation is fine. I would find Spain's situation, for exmaple, a bit odd - very late sunsets but late sunrises to boot. I like our pre-5am sunrises and post-9pm sunsets. It's a good mix IMO. Light enough in the evening as it is, and I like it being totally sunny when I wake up.

Posted

i wouldn't want it to get dark at 11 30 pm in june it will be even harder to get to sleep if its hot, anyway people go to bed really early in this country why do we need it to be daylight till gone 11pm? the clocks are fine as they are

I'm making this post at 4.05am. Speak for yourself!

Posted

I'm making this post at 4.05am. Speak for yourself!

I'll 2nd that Harve..and raise you by 40 minutes Posted Image

I'm not a fan of the earlier dark evenings but the upside is at least it's not broad daylight when I crawl into bed anymore.

Edited by Silver Haze

Posted

you are talking about a few weeks around the solstice when it is light from 3am till 11pm! I am talking about the spring and autumn periods and the majority of winter where the average person is sleeping in morning daylight or hasn't left the house yet it is dark at 6pm...most people come home and it is bordering on dark,sure there are people like yourself but that is a minority.Iget up at anytime from 3.30 am to 6.30am but I still want the daylight in an evening not lost on a morning.

psWhat is wrong with thick curtains and if you were tired you will sleep!

• Like 1

Posted

i don't go to bed that early i was just saying why do we need it to be light till gone 11pm if we moved to double summer time, i don;t see the average family out and about on the street at 10pm on a school night

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Crips, sunrise here this morning is 715am.

Only seems like yesterday it was light at 530am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Dawn today 06:36...Sunrise 07:09...Still on the dark side due to cloud cover.

Posted

it starts getting light at about 6 45 am and it starts getting dark at about 6 45 pm now so still about 12 hours of light, if no one had to work the days are more than long enough to get out and about

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

getting dark, have you got the curtains closed or just happen to be under a lump of dark cloud at the moment, quite bright here with some blue sky visible?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It's amazing how much difference thick cloud can make. 7:20am at the weekend it wasn't 100% light, but on clearer morning it's light around or even slightly before 7.

Posted

Not dark here infact we have blue sky overhead

In 10 Saturday it will be shortest day then we do it all over again as we head back to the lighter nights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very dismal here so having to go for the lamp the moment I got in (5:15). Still I can manage a quick look round/tidy of the garden + grab the veg I need for dinner before darkness finally falls. Not for much longer with the dreaded clock move and all the danger and restrictions it brings. Gladly my move to Berlin is falling only 1 week after the move so thankfully I can avoid the dreadful dark evening commutes this time round. I'll be working from home over there so will do my much needed bike rides just my lunch break instead!