Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Thunder gone and lightning movin off to the south.

However, seeing flashes to the north west and think that's the MK / Aylesbury cell moving closer.

Part II?

:-D

I have seen a lot of CG / straight liner strikes this evening, are these more prevalent in homegrown storms?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

According to Blitz, fresh strikes around Bognor Regis and just off its coast! Are we now exporting storms??? Thats got to be as rare as hens teeth!!!

Nope, now the whole mass is moving North to South, weird movement from this system, it has to be said. Must have seen four to five hundred lightning flashes in the last three to four hours from this beast, no joke. Only a few close strikes but boy when they hit, you knew about it. I hope everyone stayed safe out there, some deadly forks about.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

After the very very distant strikes about 2 hours ago, where thunder wasn't even heard, have just had a better storm still taking place at present. Just seen about 15 strikes to the west of here, slightly closer this time with thunder, and also some torrential rain too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Lucky for all you guys in Central southern England! Putting my hopes on for something later on for my location....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Wow, awake again. Biggest t-storm yet just passing overhead!!

No storms this year and now 3 spread over several hours :-D

Posted

Great storm system tonight, seems to be over for me now. Had a good 3 hours with various different cells passing in all directions, a couple overhead too. The thunder was moderate to occasionally loud, but never very loud. Lightning was stunning though, loads of clearly defined bolts and forks as well as sheet lightning. Could tell it was well elevated. With the system moving southwards, the French will be hoping that the Channel doesn't kill their British MCS import for a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

All gone now. Seems to be dissipating over the channel.

Was an awesome storm - all the things you would want - pink and bluer lightning and plenty of forks . Reckon ther'll be some reports of direct hits tomo.

Bed now. Happy with what we got tonight - was cool!

Posted

I wonder if they will re intensify as this hit the French coast...

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

An overview of the EURO4 suggests why we had the thunderstorms tonight, with theta w and theta e increased in those areas which saw the thunderstorms:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Also the GFS 18z performed quite well:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like it turned into a great night for southern areas, nothing up north but I guess it was the turn of the south to see something after the early in the week barrage up here. A bit disappointed I hadn't predicted this one, but then none of the charts showed it either until the last minute shifts from the GFS in the evening.

If I had predicted it then I had all evening free and would have driven south to get my night time lightning fix. Despite all the storms this year so far, I have not witnessed one at night or with much lightning - although I have still seen more than at this stage in any year previous so not complaining.

Chances again today of a storm or two, although nothing like last night or earlier in the week. Best spots look to the be the West Country up in the SW Midlands and maybe the Welsh borders.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

It was quite a show last night as I found driving back from Southampton to Newburt at midnight.. Started lowish keyin Southampton and I was surprised when I walked out from our venue to rain.. The flashes seen to intensify near Newbury and as seen on the radar could see why. Surrounded. Some loudish bangs( one to be fair I wasn't too happy about as I had just dropped off ) and plenty of types of lightning it seemed. Very atmospheric and apt for June 13th. Windows were open, hardly any air, the room and house lighting up in a blueish white light every few minutes and a dog barking in the distance after each flash . Felt like a scene from a movie! Strangley some lightning under the cloud bases looked pink too. A great night and a nice surprise. Wasn't expecting that! Am a bit exhausted now though and time to get up..

post-2094-0-01145500-1402725797_thumb.jp

post-2094-0-70262400-1402725821_thumb.jp

post-2094-0-25779500-1402725873_thumb.jp

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

It looks like Central S England had some great thunderstorms last night. I'm glad some people got something if they didn't already this year.

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely gutted about last night, the one time I didn't have my camera with me because well, nothing was really forecast for down here at all, we get the most active storms I've seen for nearly ten years. No pics, guess that's the way it goes:(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Think I could see something today but nothing on the scale of what some people saw last night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Seems that English exports are the in thing now then !!

I'm flying to France at lunchtime, so I'll be following our fine brewed exported storms :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

and all I got was a little rain

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

As per normal zippo can't even claim to brewed that one that hit the south. Normally we manage plenty of exports.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A pretty good night for some of you! Just a little light rain for me yesterday evening, currently warm and muggy here with broken cloud. 

Posted

I never knew any of this went on, the whole of London repels any storms! I would have been in a perfect spot if I was just 5-10m to my west, great that some of you got something decent.

Posted

The storm that moved through Southampton about 2 hours ago is now showing signs of reigniting over the channel?!

Surely the Channel isn't a breeding ground for France and not the UK!

I was wondering this! If it worked 2 ways or just 1 LOL

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looks like western areas are most at risk of catching showers today, NMM-6 has a line of showers/rain developing mid morning onwards stretching from Central Scotland all the way down to the SE. I think the NMM is overdoing the ppn imo and I don't expect it to be as extensive. Included a chart from the EURO4 model for comparison. 

post-9615-0-08478800-1402732853_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-10291900-1402732860_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-63693700-1402732865_thumb.gi

Very little SB CAPE on offer today.

post-9615-0-67361000-1402733262_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J