Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion for 06/0614 - 07-06-14

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

That storm in the northern part of the Netherlands is absolutely brutal!! What a beast! France is kicking off quite nicely also, I wonder what has changed in the last 20 years that the storms no longer are prevalent on our islands?I wonder if we really had a load of storms or its just memory compression, where all of our memories get so compressed that they seem to happen in the same time frame where as they may of happened years apart?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

That storm in the northern part of the Netherlands is absolutely brutal!! What a beast! France is kicking off quite nicely also, I wonder what has changed in the last 20 years that the storms no longer are prevalent on our islands?I wonder if we really had a load of storms or its just memory compression, where all of our memories get so compressed that they seem to happen in the same time frame where as they may of happened years apart?

Even thunder storms don't like the UK anymore, along with most of Europe!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Even thunder storms don't like the UK anymore, along with most of Europe!

I blame the Channel tunnel....Must find a conspiracy theory somewhere out there on the net!!!!!

Posted

I didn't get chance to follow this thread yesterday but I assume most were generally disappointed with the lack of storms. Here the morning started off brilliantly with a cracking storm at 7am but after that it was just periods of moderate rainfall.

Today looks as though N England/Wales could see some heavy showers./storms and then tomorrow a greater risk across most parts.

On a different note I was just thinking back to some classic storms in the 90s. Does anyone remember Sunday 24th July 1994. This was an incredible day in Peterborough as the day began very hot but storms broke out in the afternoon as a cold front swept E. Apart from the frequent lightning the most memorable feature of that day was the classic mammatus cloud overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Rain? What rain? Absoloutely nothing here. Euro 4 got that wrong.  :oops:

Posted

Does anyone remember Sunday 24th July 1994. This was an incredible day in Peterborough as the day began very hot but storms broke out in the afternoon as a cold front swept E. Apart from the frequent lightning the most memorable feature of that day was the classic mammatus cloud overhead.

I do. We had thunder and lightning in the early afternoon.

Posted

Just saw the latest weather forecast on the BBC Weather website. It looks like a rash of showers could affect me later on this afternoon but more especially there are developments towards the SE of England that have some intense echoes in there. Maybe something to watch?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

On a different note I was just thinking back to some classic storms in the 90s. Does anyone remember Sunday 24th July 1994. This was an incredible day in Peterborough as the day began very hot but storms broke out in the afternoon as a cold front swept E. Apart from the frequent lightning the most memorable feature of that day was the classic mammatus cloud overhead.

I can't say I remember it but I looked back in my records and we had storms rumbling around throughout the afternoon that day. Not that much rain though, 11.7 mm.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

50% chance of Northern areas of the UK catching a thunderstorm today according ESTOFEX.

post-5386-0-63126300-1402212681.txt

http://www.estofex.org/

• Like 1

Posted

50% chance of Northern areas of the UK catching a thunderstorm today according ESTOFEX.

Posted Imageshowforecast.cgi.png

That's not a 50% chance of catching one. That's a 50% chance of seeing lightning within 25 miles of your position. Just to clear that up.

Posted

That's not a 50% chance of catching one. That's a 50% chance of seeing lightning within 25 miles of your position. Just to clear that up.

I didnt say MY LOCATION.. I said northern areas have a 50% chance of seeing(catching) a storm.. Hope that clears that up..!!

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Imageshowforecast.cgi.png

Quite a broad level 2 risk over the near continent,Belgium in the firing line again. :laugh:

Storm risk map for the UK looks good with Ireland probably the hot spot again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

we did yes, woke us all up! Thunder and hail.

Cheers - it was just someone else from Stratford complained they missed there, when the radar and sferics suggested otherwise :)

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Let's move on please..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

guess what?......I'm just about to remove some off topic posts from this morning........I do have better things to do first thing on a sunday morning than deleting petty squabbling posts....to the poster in question, think before you post

• Like 4

Posted

Quite a broad level 2 risk over the near continent,Belgium in the firing line again. :laugh:

Storm risk map for the UK looks good with Ireland probably the hot spot again.

Posted Imageukstormrisk.png

Sferics being detected in Eire already..

Posted

Looks like a good rash of showers should develop across the northern parts of the UK today. Some good home growners possible!

Posted

decent storm to the west of wigan saturday evening and I was in a hospital and missed it, it was developing to the sw of here as i was driving there,  bleedin' typical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

decent storm to the west of wigan saturday evening and I was in a hospital and missed it, it was developing to the sw of here as i was driving there,  bleedin' typical

you have absolutely no luck Ian, talk about wrong place at the wrong time!......better luck today  :good:

Posted

I spotted that one, but I was in Bolton at the time! I don't think it was a biggie, cloud structure looked good as it moved away, but it lost it's electrical activity pretty quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I could see and hear that storm yesterday to my east. Sferics were quite frequent from it at one point, (one a minute) but it decayed quickly as it reached my latitude. I was quite lucky yesterday considering, as I had a small surface-based sell pass with three close strikes before the remnants of the elevated Midlands convection passed yesterday at 8:30 AM. Any day with two separate thunder events is rare around here.

Tons of surface heating going on today the sun is very strong. I'm optimistic for later. CAPE of 700 and LI of -3 is not bad at all.

Posted

Posted Image

It looks like Ireland is in a prime place again. Nothing new there.

Posted

Actually I was going to say that for once Ireland has a better chance than Britain :)

Edited by pad199207
  • Like 1