Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion for 06/0614 - 07-06-14

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Dagnammit. I went out. Had a couple of errr drinks. Got home at half two and my friend texts me at 5am to say "What an epic storm". I slept through the lot! Ho hum. Any chance of a pop up later in the day here as it is muggy as hell, very warm and some lovely clouds about

• Like 1

Posted

if i was to head out where would the best place be to head to im currently at home in whaplode not far from spalding lincolnshire pe12 6tj would like some good activity the afternoon if possible???????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I got a decision make, do I head towards thetford and meet the line of storms heading towards me and risk the best time of the storm overtaking me or do I stay put and hope the best time for it is near Norwich hmm, makes it all the more exciting.

Posted

Well finally managed to get some heavy rain for the last hour here in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire, no thunder that I know off. I went to bed at 9am till now after spending the night on here lol.

it was amazing to stay up and watch the radar last night and through this morning, such a beast of a storm it was. Just before I went to bed it was still going strong over Birmingham, but it looks like it finally lost the battle and petered out somewhat, considering it started way down in France and made it across the largest part of the English Channel it didn't do too bad hehe.

Posted

Well, went to bed at 03:30, didn't drift off until 4ish, woke at 05:30, went loo, nothing happening (weather wise!!) Went back bed,  woke again around 08:00, nothing happening, woke again at 09:30 got up, nowt happening, 10:40 heavy rain, no thunder, now 11:10, rain again, no thunder... The sky is solid with grey clag, must be the dead storms from down south.... temp reading 16.4C dropped half a degree in last 30 mins... Not looking good, which suits me just fine (central Leicester)

How you coping this morning Gordon? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Moderate rain falling here now, 16.6c, 87% humidity.

Posted

I got a decision make, do I head towards thetford and meet the line of storms heading towards me and risk the best time of the storm overtaking me or do I stay put and hope the best time for it is near Norwich hmm, makes it all the more exciting.

Might not be a bad location to intercept the line of storms. I wouldn't travel if you have too far to go because things are really changeable today lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Really amazing skies from the line of storms to my west about an hour ago - despite the radar trying to tell me they were active there wasn't so much as a cloud fart...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I can't believe the thunderstorms shifted to the east. Whats happened to the storms to the south of me!? Another season, another disappointing one I bet. That's life I suppose. :(  I think its the continuation of the disappointments this year, I started wondering if its a curse or not.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Wonder if the second band will become more active as it moves north? Back edge of the cold front now moved into the SW heading northwards. 

post-9615-0-17696600-1402136336_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-86038300-1402136345_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Might not be a bad location to intercept the line of storms. I wouldn't travel if you have too far to go because things are really changeable today lol

Yes I have decided to stay put for a bit longer, I don't think they will die off to nothing before they reach here. Skew-T charts for Norfolk are showing cape until at least 18.00 with possibly the cap breaking. Would be nice to have some surface based storms once the elevated storms have passed :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Heading to Lincoln, the Kings Lynn storm looks to be heading north ish so will wait and intercept if we can get there fast enough! once that has gone through the band behind it could be our next toy to play with!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

I was a bit hasty with my last post, looks good for some sb storms for some this pm, think im gonna head home and hopefully catch something around Crewe this afternoon. Suns made an appearance here in Newbury an its baking (in the car at least!)

Good luck all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
Buckster, on 07 Jun 2014 - 11:00, said:

looks like thats it for now in Essex

Good while it lasted and the gust front was pretty cool. Decent number of flashes and thunder with a few CGs. Best of the year so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Bitterly disappointing "event" around here. Some moderate rain and one rumble of thunder.

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone who feels like having a moan because your missing out on the action then please do so in the No Storms club thread and not in this one, thank you - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75963-the-no-storms-club-nsc-2014-onwards/page-21#entry2983925

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated warning from the met office has now removed parts of the south west where conditions are improving

Issued at: 1112 on Sat 7 Jun 2014

Valid from: 1115 on Sat 7 Jun 2014

Valid to: 2100 on Sat 7 Jun 2014

Areas of heavy, thundery rain will continue to move northwards across many parts of the UK during Saturday. The public should be aware of the potential for localised flooding due to the intensity of the downpours although the location of the heaviest rainfall remains uncertain. This is an update to the warning to remove parts of southwestern Britain where conditions are now improving. This improvement will extend its way northeastwards across parts of central and southeastern England during the afternoon, and then to northern England through Saturday evening

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Warm, humid air, originating from France and Spain, is moving northwards across the UK. Within this air mass, heavy, thundery downpours are breaking out as expected. Some places within the broad warning area will miss the worst of the storms, but where they occur they could produce in excess of 20 mm of rain in an hour, with one or two places perhaps seeing more than 40 mm within 2 or 3 hours, with localised flooding a possibility.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1402095600&regionName=uk

An additional warning is out for central Scotland

Issued at: 1043 on Sat 7 Jun 2014

Valid from: 1500 on Sat 7 Jun 2014

Valid to: 2100 on Sat 7 Jun 2014

A short spell of heavy rain is expected across central Scotland later on Saturday afternoon and during Saturday evening. This will move quickly northwards across the region but will be locally intense. There is also the risk of some thundery activity embedded within this. The public should be aware of the potential for localised flooding due to the intensity of the downpours and some difficult driving conditions.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Warm, humid air has been pulled northwards across the UK from France and Spain. This brings an increasing likelihood of heavy, thundery rain spreading from the south through Saturday afternoon and evening. It is likely that some places within the warning area will miss the worst of the storms, but where they occur they could produce 10-15 mm rainfall in one hour and perhaps 20 mm in 3 hours.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1402095600&regionName=uk

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Current skies here how, looks great!

post-21143-0-28890300-1402137030_thumb.j

Edit: Camera isn't very clear.

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill
  • Like 2

Posted

Well, we've missed so many of the thunder events recently, so perhaps it was our turn to enjoy some storms this morning. Most unexpected, given the forecast of the worst being to our west. 

Posted

Moderate-heavy rain here now, the sun came out for a short while before hoping that helps things along!

Posted

Really loud house shaking gunshot thunder/lightening here 8-9am very heavy tropical rain for half an hour... Now just cloudy and damp...warmish and humid but not overly so....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

if i was to head out where would the best place be to head to im currently at home in whaplode not far from spalding lincolnshire pe12 6tj would like some good activity the afternoon if possible???????

Go towards Norfolk at the moment as that's where most of the electrical activity seems to be! This is kind of a bust so far. I've had to chase East to get under the Norfolk storm, and that one over the south coast has completely died !! Good job I have a car. I'm on nights tonight as well lol
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the humdinger from Carol K and the over excited Helen W did the job yesterday and killed an interesting day. Funnily enough looking at the Radar I did say the storms will probably end up in the SE and guess where they are now.

Local forecast yesterday bang near enough. Heavy rain at seven out by an hour not bad then light rain until this afternoon when more heavy rain is expected then dry. No storms which is correct.today's update not bad either but missed the early thundery shower.

Dunno if Paul Hudson got over excited or not.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Not much activity around the UK currently. Slightly worrying.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes I have decided to stay put for a bit longer, I don't think they will die off to nothing before they reach here. Skew-T charts for Norfolk are showing cape until at least 18.00 with possibly the cap breaking. Would be nice to have some surface based storms once the elevated storms have passed :D

The line of storms now going through here has died now, radio has stopped crackling, every couple of mins there is a faint crackle from the Kings Lynn storm.

Saying that just had a loud crackle and a rumble to my West, if you have a radio its a storm chasers best friend.

......And another at Stowmarket but not very active at all now

Edited by Chris101