Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 5th June 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Hi everyone,

Been loving the enthusiasm here over the last few days, at least I'm not the only one with storm fever :-)

I live in Godalming and will be eager to know of anyone who knows a good vantage point somewhere nary, maybe even in north Hampshire area.

Was thinking of heading up to the Mount in Guildford to get a good vista to the south (also good for southeast and okay for southwest too).

What sort of time do you think my area will be getting the first atmospheric flashes, was thinking probably about 12ish?

My OH back from Germany at about half nine tonight so can probably get out just before midnight. Have emptied out the van to make it quicker for chasing :-D

Just sorting out camera etc.

EXCITING!

:-D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just for fun..

post-15177-0-94366800-1402077989_thumb.p

May as well post a couple of these, I'll keep them saved to compare with the radar.

post-15177-0-69453400-1402078385_thumb.ppost-15177-0-22690800-1402078392_thumb.ppost-15177-0-68973300-1402078398_thumb.ppost-15177-0-55970100-1402078411_thumb.p

Not far off of the Euro 4?!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Just for fun..

Posted Imageviewimage.png

May as well post a couple of these, I'll keep them saved to compare with the radar.

Posted Imageviewimage (1).pngPosted Imageviewimage (2).pngPosted Imageviewimage (3).pngPosted Imageviewimage (4).png

Shift that further W and I'll be happy with that.

Posted

Humidity will be going up that's natural as it's evening time.

Well yes it is as temperature falls, but humidity is rising here despite little change in temperature.Air is so different to this morning it is amazing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

More altocumulus castellanus cloud has developed overhead now. It's beautiful.

I have been reading all day and if I had £1 for every time you said altocumulus castellanus, I'd be a happier man!
  • Like 7

Posted

I have been reading all day and if I had £1 for every time you said altocumulus castellanus, I'd be a happier man!

But at least it's a good sign.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

But at least it's a good sign.

I'll counter your good sign with a terrible omen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am happy with the latest Euro 4, showing up to 40mm of rain over my area through the period tonight and tomorrow! Met Office mountain area forecast for the Peak District interesting too with a warning of frequent lightning, hail, torrential rain and winds gusting up to 50mph from around 3am through to the evening hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just for fun..

Posted Imageviewimage.png

Posted Imageviewimage (1).pngPosted Imageviewimage (2).pngPosted Imageviewimage (3).pngPosted Imageviewimage (4).png

Not far off of the Euro 4?!

Do you know how I know that wont happen?

Because Gloucester looks like being hit dead on... This wont happen. 110% confident.

Would be nice tho.

• Like 1

Posted

Can see the more unstable air off to the SW.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I am happy with the latest Euro 4, showing up to 40mm of rain over my area through the period tonight and tomorrow! Met Office mountain area forecast for the Peak District interesting too with a warning of frequent lightning, hail, torrential rain and winds gusting up to 50mph from around 3am through to the evening hours.

TM will have an interesting report tomorrow morning then.

Long time since we had a large amount of rainfall from a Thunderstorm. 2004 was the last notable one with 78mm which was a very interesting drive into work. Detours everywhere to avoid floods and water coming up from the storm drains. Since then nothing of note related to T Storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

Well I've been reading all day and I can safely say that I think next I'll hold off until closer to the time that the weather arrives...I can't take it! :O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

The cloudscapes here are amazing to portend tonights potential. I have plenty of coffee on hand to stay awake.

• Like 1

Posted

I've just looked at the Met Office website, and this is what I don't get: They have said that virtually everywhere in Britain is at risk of a thunderstorm tomorrow, yet on all of their maps they are just saying heavy rain and heavy rain showers. Come on make up your mind! What is it - heavy rain or thunderstorms!?

The reason why will be that they don't know exactly where and don't want to say that a specific town or city will have a storm tomorrow. It's always the case when it gets towards an event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

The cloudscapes here are amazing to portend tonights potential. I have plenty of coffee on hand to stay awake.

Im travelling to Cornwall from 7am tomorrow.. Looks like I may have to wait an hour lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Welcome new members :D

Please pop your locations in your profiles.

Thanks and good luck. :D  :bomb:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The reason why will be that they don't know exactly where and don't want to say that a specific town or city will have a storm tomorrow. It's always the case when it gets towards an event.

Id slap a bit of cash down on Lincolnshire!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Not a breath of air outside at all and a very hazy sky. The calm before the storm?? :) :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

all the chat today going from the models is about it all moving east and how it wont be as good as first forecast but taking the weather forecasts from yesterday wasn't it forecast for the first lot of rain to move up the west fringing into the south west and the western edge of wales then moving north into northern Ireland with the big stuff moving north but a little further to the east then after and from looking at the radar that's exactly how it looks to be playing out.

so question is are the models wrong and till now its going exactly as forecasted?

Posted

I'll counter your good sign with a terrible omen

Ok, I understand your fear of thunderstorms and I had a fear of thunderstorms up until I was about 14. All you have to do is keep calm, watch it and nothing will happen to you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not a breath of air outside at all and a very hazy sky. The calm before the storm?? :) :)

The complete opposite here RAH. It has been blowing a hooley but 21c was the max.

Posted

Id slap a bit of cash down on Lincolnshire!

fingers crossed your right, and if we cop a storm half as good as what i witnessed in Rome last week then we are in for a good day

Edited by sparky1972

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Ok, I understand your fear of thunderstorms and I had a fear of thunderstorms up until I was about 14. All you have to do is keep calm, watch it and nothing will happen to you.

yep and I do intend to do that everytime one comes along but right at the last minute it all goes pearshaped

met office have changed their predicted rainfall now their forecast now and not for the better

but I've seen predicted rain before and the reality in some cases is remarkably different