Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Jane Louise

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st May 2014 onwards

North Watford was just hit by a magnificent storm, constant lightning, booming thunder, some really close CGs and a shed load of rain.

There's more to come too possibly!

Incredible how everything is dodging here. One rumble in the distance about half an hour ago and now brightening up with light rain and drizzle still falling.

Finally! Heavy rain with a pinch of thunder, the temp dropped 6c in a short space of time! Still an anti climax though! :laugh:

Edited by lassie23

Thunder, lightning and heavy rain.... Oval, central London!

... Just got heavier.. More lightning too. :-)

Crikey, the south looks like a proper firework display! Will we get anything up here in the north though? There's absolutely no break in the relentless cloud and it's drizzling unpleasantly - yuck...

Not much in the way of lightning in this part of Northants (Moulton) but continual rumbling of thunder for almost an hour 

Pmsl I'm sure as all this moves north your get a nice surprise.

And the odds are if it did, electrical activity will have died . That's how cynical some of us up here have become when it comes to thunder and lightning these days.

Well that was fun! Went to allotment as a nice panoramic view from there of the sky. Nice active storm passed just to my E, saw c2c and c2g lightning and lots of thunder, plus very heavy rain and some crazy wind gusts for a minute or two. Storms still rumbling off to my NE but can see some blue sky to the S. got a couple of lightning bolts on cam too. Enjoy everyone, looks like more on the way!

And we're off again in high Wycombe east... torrential rain and thunder... rain getting heavier still... the rain has blasted and upturned all the little plastic flowerpots filled with soil and seedlings (sob!), the road outside is a river. It's never good when you hear the fire brigade after a storm..but it has left we wondering why on earth we were taking off the weather warning... this is dangerous driving weather.

Just heard loud crack of thunder. I got back home just in time.

That was biblical ! 12 .5 mm of rain ans hail from that last storm lasting 10 mins , glad I live on the hill and pity the people at the bottom ! Temp down to 9.7 and 28.2 mm of rain today so far .

Edited by mickeyflyn

A few storms are breaking out in Eire now.

The clouds are exploding here.Watching a tower to the back of my house just before I head out.lovely.

Sunny intervals and dry here in Stafford, looks as though things are moving this way  :good:strong breeze from the ENE, 18.7C, steady 1001mb. Too much low cloud to see any approaching thunder heads.    

Also some very interesting scud with the developing cumulus clouds and to the shower/storm to our east. Very fast moving and some rotation involved and becoming quite low to the ground

Huge anvils to my west and south west and lovely warm storm brewing sun here :D

not heard a single rumble of thunder here in plumpton :( :(

Pmsl I'm sure as all this moves north your get a nice surprise.

Will make up for the parcel I got this morning. Ordered a model Airliner and got sent 100 Violet latex balloons instead......Thanks online shopping

I bet of the Met Office wished they kept the warning for London and the Southeast now lol

Posted Image

hate to say it but as the cells leave North london they are loosing their oomph

Quick Question - Whats more accurate. The Netweather radar overlay for lightening strikes or this new lighteningMaps.org site. 

Netweather is showing some new strikers out west near Hereford, but nothing on the other. 

have noticed a couple of things like that today. 

Sunbathing weather now in Southampton - nice

New potent cell going up right on top of MK with a huge one to the south, merging together, light rain but constant angry growling thunder with crisp clean cracks from the new developing cell and vivid bright lightning!!!!!!!

Well that was awesome - just nipped down for a smoke and half a dozen really close CGs and a couple with gun shot thunder...funniest sight of my life watching an open top tour bus full of kids getting absolutely drenched and trying to hide under the tiny shelter :D

Officially out of the NSC!!! :yahoo: awesome

Just cross checked with the lightning detector and it hasnt detected half of what I witnessed - in the past half hour I've witnessed in excess of 20 strikes easily, nothing close to whats being shown (well, on lightningmaps.org anyway - still think its awesome though lol)

Edited by Harry