Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

interesting description of anaprop here - looks like the boundary layer cooling down above the channel underneath the current plume, causing a duct where signals will reflect from further away and show anomalous precip - I was wondering why anaprop only seems to show up in these situations  http://www.radartutorial.eu/07.waves/wa17.en.html

Thanks for that, I nearly made a post mentioning the fact that it happens when we're waiting for something good, so that's the answer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

interesting description of anaprop here - looks like the boundary layer cooling down above the channel underneath the current plume, causing a duct where signals will reflect from further away and show anomalous precip - I was wondering why anaprop only seems to show up in these situations  http://www.radartutorial.eu/07.waves/wa17.en.html

There are various mechanisms which can cause anaprop, but yes a cooler layer underneath a warmer layer is a common reason. The most likely cause here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Thanks for that, I nearly made a post mentioning the fact that it happens when we're waiting for something good, so that's the answer!

This has happened before and we've had big showers recently afterwards.

Posted

Ok, to say what I thought and asked about earlier, there seems to be no action whatsoever in the English Channel, yet. Still the BBC and the Met Office showing much action tonight if anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

hey all . The WRF NMM showing storms moving up across the west country/ west southern England at about 3am onwards - gradual 500mb height falls, along with a lobe of PVA - with the resulting 700mb lift looking pretty strong http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=15&mode=15&map=0  Do I sleep, or stay awake?? tough one!

• Like 2

Posted

hey all . The WRF NMM showing storms moving up across the west country/ west southern England at about 3am onwards - gradual 500mb height falls, along with a lobe of PVA - with the resulting 700mb lift looking pretty strong http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=15&mode=15&map=0  Do I sleep, or stay awake?? tough one!

Right over me, too!

Posted

Looking tasty, the same storms look to be hitting me at around 10-11:am in north Wales. Fingers crossed.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

An odd rash of showers showing in the English Channel.

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill
  • Like 1

Posted

An odd rash of showers showing in the English Channel.

It's anaprop.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Ok, to say what I thought and asked about earlier, there seems to be no action whatsoever in the English Channel, yet. Still the BBC and the Met Office showing much action tonight if anything.

It's because thunderstorms can form very quickly within an hour, plus what you and the BBC are expecting during the early hours will be high based storms, and will not occur unless the theta plume is destabilised sufficiently to propagate showers. Any showers which do form will be feeding from MLCAPE, hence it's still early on in any thundery event and 5am is almost 8 hours away, a long time for anything to get going....

Posted

Kids don't half say the funniest things. My mates little boy gets excited about thunderstorms as we've let him come outside and watch with us since he was 3 or 4 years old he's 6 now. I told him yesterday we might get some big storms this week. So he wouldn't go to bed until my friend phoned and he spoke to me, just asked about 20 mins ago if I could ask the weatherman on the telly if he could have a thunderstorm, but he didn't want any tornado's like they have in america because he didn't want his playstation 3 blowing away.... I said i'll see what I could do and to go to bed or we wouldn't get anything.... PMSL  :rofl:

Edited by SnowJoke
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Any chance of storms here in East Sussex Missed out on them last week

Monday night there is a chance of storms for sussex/kent.

Posted
  • Monday

Mostly dry with sunny spells, and very warm again inland. Cooler around some coasts with an onshore wind. Later during the afternoon thundery showers may develop over Kent and Sussex.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

It's anaprop.

Anaprop?? That's new to me.

Posted

It's because thunderstorms can form very quickly within an hour, plus what you and the BBC are expecting during the early hours will be high based storms, and will not occur unless the theta plume is destabilised sufficiently to propagate showers. Any showers which do form will be feeding from MLCAPE, hence it's still early on in any thundery event and 5am is almost 8 hours away, a long time for anything to get going....

Ok, I understand. Sometimes I expect things quicker than normal.

Posted

I don't mind, I might even do a special piece on the impact of pigeons on tornadogenesis!

Meanwhile, that storm to the NE has gone a bit berserk! Anybody underneath/near it?

nah pidgeons are thick stick around :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Anaprop?? That's new to me.

Ah yes I just read up about it. 'Anomalous Propogation, can be caused by a temperature inversion meaning as we gain altitude it gets warmer rather than colder and that can cause the radar beam to point at the surface as I understand it. Thus showing an echo. Correct me if im wrong. Edited by Greenday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Looks like a nice light show in the North Sea if you are living somewhere on the East Coast of Scotland. It must be completely mad out to sea at the moment with this line of storms moving North parallel to the coast. I have seen similar set ups here in the past and you can see the lightning all across the eastern sky after dark. It is a fantastic sight and all the better I would have thought as it happens a lot less frequently that far North.

Would love that here tonight but that is clutching at straws I would say....

Posted

Sorry yes, anaprop is basically false echoes on the radar. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I jumped out of the shower and rain alarm went off on my phone, I thought oooerr. It was those sodding anoprops at 22 miles!

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry yes, anaprop is basically false echoes on the radar. 

Never heard of that before. You Learn something everyday!