Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Squall line passed through St Andrews at 5pm. Short-lived but quite impressive with heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

Not getting too excited about the warm uppers on the way as it may result in haar and low cloud over here on the east coast.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

Well it was a storm in Aberdeen, but take the lightning away, & it would only have qualified as a light shower. I've seen more intensive rainfall from less electrically-charged clouds to be honest. Lasted about 20-30mins then cleared to what is now a clear & sunny end to the day.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

SpotlessGood morning. Below is an updated image of the visible solar disk on Wednesday. Okay, Technically this is a picture of an orange, but our visible disk looks very similar today. Region 2113 faded away leaving the Earth facing side of the sun spotless for the first time since August 14, 2011. This will be made official later today just as long as 2113 remains a spotless plage. We will likely see more periods of active sunspots during the next year or so, but a gradual downward turn in overall activity is inevitable. Solar activity should continue at very low levels today. No Earth directed coronal mass ejections were observed during the past day. Stay tuned to SolarHam.com for the latest information.

post-18233-0-31570700-1405544055_thumb.j

I changed out the picture of the orange for the current visible disk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Squall line passed through St Andrews at 5pm. Short-lived but quite impressive with heavy rain, thunder and lightning.Not getting too excited about the warm uppers on the way as it may result in haar and low cloud over here on the east coast.

Hit here just to the West of Dundee just before 5PM. Gusty wind, some lightning and several claps of thunder with torrential rain for about 10 mins. Certainly the heaviest burst of rain I have seen this year though of short duration. looking like the East may as you say be a bit cooler with cloud but some potential storms on Saturday.

Posted

saw this on twitter look at the thing next to the pier in the water

Loch Earn in the southern Highlands of Scotland this afternoon

post-18233-0-45813100-1405559649_thumb.j

zoom in if need for better look

what is it some weird guy or something different the eyes look weird and the waist is pretty skinny.

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Cracking electrical storm here in Hong Kong at 4am this morning, lasted about an hour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well it was a storm in Aberdeen, but take the lightning away, & it would only have qualified as a light shower. I've seen more intensive rainfall from less electrically-charged clouds to be honest. Lasted about 20-30mins then cleared to what is now a clear & sunny end to the day.

It threw it down with rain quite heavily in Kemnay around 6pm, accompanied by two flashes of lightning. Short lived though as by 7pm it was back to blue skies and sunshine and by the time I went for a run at 8:30pm it was mostly dry with just a few puddles left.

A fair bit of cloud around currently but still bright and warm(ish). I'll be in Farnborough tomorrow, current forecast high of 29C. Now normally I'd be fine with that but as I'll be lugging boxes around I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Posted

on the stations I look at they are currently

STIRLING : 21.3c

POLMONT : 23.1c

FALKIRK : 25.2c

some temp differences for short distances prob due to Falkirk being in a bowl and would maybe help explain lack of snow in winter as well.

Posted

Sounds a bit like Kelso.

I have noticed quite a few heat spots where it's always a few degrees warmer than in general across an area (i.e. when you're in the car). There's one to the west of Duns where in the sun it's always a couple of degrees warmer than most other places in the Borders. I drove through it the other day and could almost predict when the temp reading would go up and then back down again. There's also one at the back of Glasgow Airport towards Renfrew. The one at Glasgow Airport is also a frost/fog hollow in winter, but the one near Duns doesn't seem to have this quality.

its good for me for summer as getting a bit higher temps is always good and pretty sheltered from the wind as well

I will be able to tell when we get later into the year if its the same in winter or not although hopefully we get a massive greeny for the whole of winter and it wont really matter.

• Like 1

Posted

Can't deny today has been an absolute belter. The next 3 days admittedly are a little iffy but once we get past sunday it does look good again (I think)

Posted

go to this link it should be on the NMM Europe precipitation video it doesn't do much with what we are seeing in the southwest tonight but it brings some pretty intense stuff through on saturday 

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/videos_wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Couldn't have timed a short stay in Ireland better for weather!

Great few days in the south east of the country.

Preswick was 21c when I landed just after 3pm. Dublin was a little warmer than this and when I got home the temperature was a little under 24c

Surely, urban areas must also have an effect. I'm referring to the above posts talking about frost hollows and areas of small micro climates.

For example, in Dumfries itself I can easily add 2c to what ever temperature I have (on a colder than average day) compared to in town.

I wonder what fun an games will ensue on Saturday... It looks interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Scraped 22'C here today, fair bit of cloud about but some great bursts of sunshine. Very settled evening here tonight, cloudy, some sunshine and 19'C.

Posted

PLZ PLZ PLZ  :angel:

post-18233-0-21012200-1405625884_thumb.ppost-18233-0-17969200-1405625321_thumb.ppost-18233-0-44308300-1405625892_thumb.p

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Beautiful start to the day here with blue skies, sunshine and light winds, currently sitting at 19.6'C so feeling nice and warm.

Posted

Didn't think I would say this but it really feels quite cool here today with the wind and cloud. Quite blissful actually!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Was fairly cool at 18.5c and windy and cloudy at about 11am. Now it sunny and when the wind drops feeling humid.

21.4c currently but with very strong gusty winds meaning it's quite pleasant

Posted

Cool and cloudy, 17c in a 17mph easterly breeze. Today and tomorrow look poor over here.

Posted

23.4'C here with very little wind, certainly not the 16mph winds that Dalcross is reporting! Partly cloudy with some towering cumulus and spells of warm sunshine, very nice summer's afternoon.

Posted

23.4'C here with very little wind, certainly not the 16mph winds that Dalcross is reporting! Partly cloudy with some towering cumulus and spells of warm sunshine, very nice summer's afternoon.

my weather station reporting 24.1c so my  not far off

Posted

my weather station reporting 24.1c so my  not far off

Yep, with a couple hours more to warm up and the sunshine making a return it could take quite hot! Is it windy down at old Ã€ird nan Saor?

Edited by NorthernRab