Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st April 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

That cell is heading my way, hopefully it gathers intensity! 

Edit: Ahh its lost its intensity! But a lot more intense cells now developing looking at the radar especially near the Welsh border! 

Edit2: Skies to the north of me! 

Edit3: Cell just passed over, with torrential rain and hail, no thunder or lightning :(

post-17320-0-16298000-1398610859_thumb.p

post-17320-0-69233100-1398610860_thumb.p

post-17320-0-35813500-1398611021_thumb.j

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Warm and pleasant here. Nice convection over the hills and to the south of the island, as per on a nice day. Not that I'm expecting it to do anything...

Posted Image

• Like 4

Chasing on the continent would be great but the problem is the lack of accurate forecasts beyond a couple of days. I could imagine me spending on flights to France in a weeks time just for high pressure to be in control. Getting a flight with less notice becomes very pricey. It is for that reason that I am primarily, and so far exclusively, a UK storm chaser. However, I do yearn to see storms the likes of what our closest neighbours get to see - although last year produced some storms that weren't far off.

go to south of France regularly , very rarely do I not get a good storm !!!......
  • Like 2

Posted

Just watched skies turn black from north east and her rumblings of thunder but once it arrived just a very very heavy shower with about a minute of gusty winds. Tested out my new conservatory though....no leaks ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Active thunderstorm to our NE or north thunder getting louder.

Posted

It looks quite promising here in nw London. Convection building and becoming very dark

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

looks moody Tony...fingers crossed

a ready stream of growing cells from the East.....coming into Brum shortly

Just awaiting a spark  :good:

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Nice little storm passed just to our north, some loud thunder, several FL within 1 to 2 miles, most lightning blotted out by heavy rain curtains. Only 1.5mm it was briefly torrential.

post-2595-0-73820400-1398617810_thumb.jp

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Some mammatus to the north of me from this cell!! 

post-17320-0-37762800-1398618130_thumb.j

post-17320-0-21479700-1398618215_thumb.p

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm out fishing at Sandbanks at the moment, and I have this little thing to contend with..

post-15177-0-88833700-1398619336_thumb.ppost-15177-0-12158400-1398619429_thumb.j

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted

How do you two ^^ save the radar image, I get the radar without the map and must print screen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Big anvil right now from the coast all the way over Ashford and off towards the north.

Shower itself appears to be dying off quickly though.

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

@TonyH Yes I screenshot then crop it in paint. Nice intense cell by the Swindon area looking at radar...

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks both, I have been playing around with crop in paint so will probably try that next time :)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

No storms and one shower, nicely forecasted once again!

Posted

I think we did a bit better today, in terms of forecasting and seeing some convective action, this was my shot at it from earlier today. However I was expecting more in the way of thunder and lightning in the showers...maybe some better luck for Thursday?

Posted ImagePosted Image

post-17320-0-19671700-1398629082_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

http://www.metacommunications.com/webcam#Controllable cam in downtown Iowa City as a severe warned storm approaches!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Fingers crossed for here! There were some cracking showers and lovely cloudscapes today, so I can't complain. :)

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Low geopotential heights and cool mid-levels is currently edging south but will still hang on over south Mids, south Wales, SW and southern counties tomorrow, so the profile, once again, becoming unstable (few 100j/kg CAPE) to surface heating during afternoon to early evening period over those regions.  

Particular attention perhaps drawn to parts of the SW into central south--namely Somerset, Dorset, Wilts and Hants-- where surface winds will become very light and variable, characterised by marked converging, toward late afternoon.  Fairly low lifting condensation levels likely, so where heating and instability is maximised the more buoyant updrafts may induce very local vorticity with these light and opposing winds, allowing for funnel/weak tornadic activity.  Again, bulk shear will be weak over main risk regions as mid-level flows are pretty much non-existent, only increasing past 500 hPa, so no anticipation of organised/severe scale convection. 

Great informable post here! Keep them coming! 

• Like 1