Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May 2014 CET thread

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It depends how you define 'warm'. 2010 had a second half with a mean of 13.1C. Its often forgotten though as it was a cool month overall due to the first 15 days averaging 8.1C.

Really? I remember April-June being 'nice' in terms of sunny and dry for the most part but i don't remember any real warm periods.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Plenty of very warm spells in 2010. May 20th to 24th temps peaking 81.5C so rather hot. 21st of June to the end of the month had some very warm to hot days as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

11.9, very average May, the days of very warm May spells are long gone as I no longer have uni exams :p

I do think it will be drier than normal though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I'm sticking with my prediction of 2014 becoming the warmest year on record.

Looking at the stats for May there haven't been many warm ones but perhaps this will prove to be the year.

I'm going with 12.9C

• Like 1

Posted

I'll go with a fairly average 11.4 degrees. I'm expecting quite a number of cold nights thanks to dry conditions which will cancel out warm maxima at times. Suspect high pressure will be a strong feature to our NE at first and then to our NW as the month wears on - so quite a dry month especially in the NW. May often delivers NW Scotland its most settled weather of the year.

A decent May overall, but certainly no heatwave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Iv'e held back! Things were looking quite cool for May, but now there's signs for HP to build it's way in B)....... So i'll go for 12.5c please.

• Like 1

Posted

I'll go with a fairly average 11.4 degrees. I'm expecting quite a number of cold nights thanks to dry conditions which will cancel out warm maxima at times. Suspect high pressure will be a strong feature to our NE at first and then to our NW as the month wears on - so quite a dry month especially in the NW. May often delivers NW Scotland its most settled weather of the year.

A decent May overall, but certainly no heatwave.

My perfect May.

I'll also guess 11.4c in the hope that your prediction will be correct.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

One thing to note is that it's been a long time since we've had a warm second half to May, even in 08 while the first half was brilliant the second half was not far from average.

Mays 2009 and 2012 had warm second halves as well with hot and humid Continental Tropical Easterly air masses in the final weeks.

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

11.5c ta.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

11.8c please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

11.9, very average May, the days of very warm May spells are long gone as I no longer have uni exams :p

I do think it will be drier than normal though.

Of course after saying this the ECM predicts a spell of 20C+ days next week. Better ramp every cold snap going then  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

I will go for 12.7C. It looks to me that northern blocking will again fail to get properly established, but at the same time, the Atlantic is having a sleepy phase - thankfully! The net result, I think, is a High Pressure dominated month, with HP cells often over the top of us. There is the chance that a cell could develop in such a way that warmth gets dragged up from the south and then trapped, leading to a early season heatwave. I fail to see any prolonged northerly periods, so I'm going for a reasonably above average month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

13.0ºC for me please. 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

May aswell go for an another above average month as thats the theme generally since last summer. 12.6c then for me please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I'll go for 12.9c please.