Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

What? 

So two days ago, it was Summer. And suddenly as soon as it hits September 1st, it's Autumn?. 

This really annoys me. I'm afraid the seasons don't work like that. Seasons don't work on calendar dates and you can get Summer weather extending right through until October in some years. 

Look, let's have less of this nonsense - it's Autumn whether you like it or not. It wouldn't matter a jot if it was 30C and felt like mid-July. Would you put Xmas decorations up at that time of year and declare it to be Xmas because it feels like it? We could call any season whatever we liked if we were experiencing unseasonal conditions at any given time. So it's now Autumn - stop banging on about Summer, unless it's in the past tense - it's gone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Your earlier comment made no reference to the growing season,if leaves falling off and plants dying off bothers you then you live in the wrong country,maybe a tropical region is better for you! By the way there are no signs of autumn here,leaves are still on the trees and probably will still be for maybe 2 months if we have a nice September and October  !!!

of course falling leaves dont bother me... why should it? i didnt say they did. the point is that leaves ARE turning, lime, chestnut and maple in particular are leading the way.

that is definately a sign of autumn... i cannot believe that derbys limes etc are turning whilst just 60 miles away they are still green and not turning. sorry.

Ok - so you dislike chilly, smelly mornings - but your post suggested that  you don't care about sunny, warm weather during the day precisely because of that. That was the implication. Your exact words were 'so what if its warm and sunny sometimes' - suggesting that sunny, warm days don't matter because the mornings are too smelly. Admittedly it doesn't feel like high summer anymore, but any warm weather is appreciated - right?

Or maybe I am reading too much into your post. Meh.

yep sir, now youre getting it, you are reading too much into my earlier post and youve demonstrated my point here. :)

We know the difference between different times of year when the temperatures are the same - we just don't care. This is after all a weather forum and not a vegetation one.

I really don't understand why you're so defensive about this issue. You can view vegetation as a factor in determining whether or not it feels like summer, but others don't have to. It's all subjective. Personally, I'm sitting here at night in shorts with the window open after a catching the sun on a warm day with lots of insects around - that to me feels like summer (though it might not to you).

weather = state of the atmosphere, air, the feel of the air, the scents and smells are all part of the season.

yes it was a nice day yesterday it was summer like until the clouds came. exactly what youd expect in early autumn which is what it is.

crikey, steve murr the other week said on the md thread that a warm sunny day in september didnt make it a summers day but a 'warm autumn one'...  go argue with him if you disagree.

• Like 1

Posted

was a lovely day yesterday. clear blue skies for most of the day :yahoo:  a bit more cloud today  but it does look to be broken. and it feels   warm this  morning.. so all in all cant complain :clapping:

I like this time of year most of all. not overly hot and  can  be  very nice temperature wise and its usually settled.

• Like 1

Posted

crikey, steve murr the other week said on the md thread that a warm sunny day in september didnt make it a summers day but a 'warm autumn one'...  go argue with him if you disagree.

Didn't see that as I very rarely visit that madhouse but by jingo he's right. How anyone fails to see it like that, I don't know. So when is the plug gonna be pulled on this thread?!

• Like 1

Posted

There must be a different phenomena in some parts but we never get 'smelly' mornings here, unless on a couple days a year a farmer has spread muck nearby, which tends to happen in Spring or Summer more.

Looking outside, the trees look much the same as they did in August. Mainly green, the odd tint of colour perhaps, so nature still looks more summer than other things. Driving around you see some colour on a few trees, more than you might expect and the temp drop from July (mean 17.5c) to August (mean 14.9c) may have something to do with that, providing a temp drop more common for August-September where we would be at the start of October now instead.

There are some aspects I like about this time of year, we can get shallow mists and fogs over the fields in the valley which can be beautiful in their own way, and I don't have to get up at quite such a silly time to see them (they occur in all seasons as do relatively cool nights here so aren't necessarily autumnal), or a sunrise. I like hints of Autumn colour amongst the green, in a way it adds something after a while being just green.

Seasons are divided into neat 3 month blocks for record keeping and to provide some kind of definition, the truth is there is not a fixed sudden 'click' into Autumn or any season in nature and it's pretty similar to how it was in August still.

Go tell my Gran it's Autumn now, she'll say it starts on 21st September. Some on here argue spring, summer starts around the 21st of the month. Hopefully none of them are now saying summer's over by the 1st because they want it to be Autumn or Winter instead.

To me there really isn't a sudden boundary where 'now it's Autumn so I must change my attitude to everything'.

• Like 2

Posted

There must be a different phenomena in some parts but we never get 'smelly' mornings here, unless on a couple days a year a farmer has spread muck nearby, which tends to happen in Spring or Summer more.

Looking outside, the trees look much the same as they did in August. Mainly green, the odd tint of colour perhaps, so nature still looks more summer than other things. Driving around you see some colour on a few trees, more than you might expect and the temp drop from July (mean 17.5c) to August (mean 14.9c) may have something to do with that, providing a temp drop more common for August-September where we would be at the start of October now instead.

There are some aspects I like about this time of year, we can get shallow mists and fogs over the fields in the valley which can be beautiful in their own way, and I don't have to get up at quite such a silly time to see them (they occur in all seasons as do relatively cool nights here so aren't necessarily autumnal), or a sunrise. I like hints of Autumn colour amongst the green, in a way it adds something after a while being just green.

Seasons are divided into neat 3 month blocks for record keeping and to provide some kind of definition, the truth is there is not a fixed sudden 'click' into Autumn or any season in nature and it's pretty similar to how it was in August still.

Go tell my Gran it's Autumn now, she'll say it starts on 21st September. Some on here argue spring, summer starts around the 21st of the month. Hopefully none of them are now saying summer's over by the 1st because they want it to be Autumn or Winter instead.

To me there really isn't a sudden boundary where 'now it's Autumn so I must change my attitude to everything'.

im not talking about muck spreadding that farmers are doing before ploughing, after harvest... around now.

its a musty stench, brought about by chilly moist dewy still air and the vegetation that isnt fresh, lush, green and growing.

dont get me wrong, some trees like ash and oak are in full summer colouring... but limes are well on the way, chestnuts and maple/sycamores are turning too. i saw a maple this morning totally red.

yes the quarter days are used as the start of the seasons.... but thats ill thought out and arbitary with little or no account of the climate. i mean, some years we get most snow/frosts before dec 21st... in autumn?...

nah, the meterological definition is clearly the most apt.

Posted

weather = state of the atmosphere, air, the feel of the air, the scents and smells are all part of the season.

yes it was a nice day yesterday it was summer like until the clouds came. exactly what youd expect in early autumn which is what it is.

There's nothing in the definition of weather which necessarily involves scents and smells. Again, that's your personal take on things. Sunny days with cloud arriving later aren't out of place at any time of the year.

I actually agree that it's autumn, as I go along with the Met Office definition. There's still a lot of overlap between seasons however, and any cut-off point is always going to be arbitrary due to the gradual nature of the changes. It can feel like summer in September just as it can feel like autumn in August (as it did just recently).

• Like 2

Posted

There's nothing in the definition of weather which necessarily involves scents and smells. Again, that's your personal take on things. Sunny days with cloud arriving later aren't out of place at any time of the year.

I actually agree that it's autumn, as I go along with the Met Office definition. There's still a lot of overlap between seasons however, and any cut-off point is always going to be arbitrary due to the gradual nature of the changes. It can feel like summer in September just as it can feel like autumn in August (as it did just recently).

i dont particually disagree with that... and there is nothing in weather definition that relates to scents and smells.... but we are human, with 5 senses to enhance our experience of life. id suggest that having all of these senses activated equates to a more enjoyable life experience. thats why to me summer isnt only about temps, nor is autumn or any other season. temps or sunshine are only 1 element in the experience.

Posted

it's still warm out there now, get out there and enjoy it mushy instead of posting on here all the time saying summer is over, if it was snowing at this time of the day in march i'd be happy

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

yep sir, now youre getting it, you are reading too much into my earlier post and youve demonstrated my point here. :)

You do talk a load of codswallop at times, to be fair. I can't believe we're having a discussion revolving around musty stenches - good grief.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

I can't believe we're having a discussion revolving around musty stenches - good grief.

Seeing as summer's gone, let's change the title to 'favourite European blue cheeses'. Mine's Dolcelatte.

Posted

You do talk a load of codswallop at times, to be fair. I can't believe we're having a discussion revolving around musty stenches - good grief.

Each to their own of course, but for me stepping out early for work this morning to be greeted by that musty smell and the enveloping fog told my senses only one thing........... Autumn is here.

• Like 1

Posted

The debate over when one seasons starts and another ends is one that surfaces every year it seems ,but probably more so as we move into September. More than any other switch in the seasons, the change from summer to autumn always ends up being the longest it seems. We must remember average mean temps in early-mid September are as warm as those in June, despite less sunshine and shorter daylight length. SST's are at there warmest now, the continent also takes a long long time to cool down and there does seem to be a propensity for high pressure to come on the scene as we enter September.

Summer always fades slowly into autumn - this is the most 'benign' mellow time of year. However, I've said before a warm sunny dry day in September can never compare to a warm sunny dry day in May-July, the September air has a very definite different feel to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I must live in a different country, the mornings have not been smelly, musty or particularly cool. The leaves for most part are still green and the days have been warm if cloudy. Meteorologicaly it might be autumn but it certainly doesn't feel it yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

There is only 2 seasons as far as I am concerned, Summer and Winter, defined by the time which you can get snow in whatever area you live, and the time its near to or impossible (the one I wish didn't exist)

Posted

maybe, but at least i dont misread a post and try to make it sound like ive said things i didnt!

surely if anything is 'codswallop' , that is! :wink::D

Each to their own of course, but for me stepping out early for work this morning to be greeted by that musty smell and the enveloping fog told my senses only one thing........... Autumn is here.

exactly!

Edited by ScottRichards10
Don't resort to personal digs, please.

Posted

. I can't believe we're having a discussion revolving around musty stenches - good grief.

why not? its an airbourne phenomenon, the state of the atmosphere as weather conditions dictate. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hmm, morning cloud has lingered here so temperatures hovering around 20. Don't think they'll hit the mid 20s as was being predicted - a bit disappointing... but at least it's warmer than most of August was!

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I will admit that this 'mini heatwave' has been a tad disappointing thus far. Admittedly yesterday was nice but today was forecast to be wall to wall sunshine on the Netweather forecast, and as I write this it's completely overcast. Both today and tomorrow are forecast to be 24-25c (feels like 29c-30c) but we haven't even come close.

The BBC weather forecast is saying today is supposed to reach the dizzy heights of 19c and tomorrow at 20. Bit early to tell but the Netweather forecast seems extremely inaccurate for this spell to me. 

Still, it's an improvement on August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I will admit that this 'mini heatwave' has been a tad disappointing thus far. Admittedly yesterday was nice but today was forecast to be wall to wall sunshine on the Netweather forecast, and as I write this it's completely overcast. Both today and tomorrow are forecast to be 24-25c (feels like 29c-30c) but we haven't even come close.

The BBC weather forecast is saying today is supposed to reach the dizzy heights of 19c and tomorrow at 20. Bit early to tell but the Netweather forecast seems extremely inaccurate for this spell to me. 

Still, it's an improvement on August. 

BBC forecast on the tele for south east region yesterday evening was for mostly cloudy dull day with highs of 20-21c not as sunny or warm as Wednesday so far it is spot on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

BBC forecast on the tele for south east region yesterday evening was for mostly cloudy dull day with highs of 20-21c not as sunny or warm as Wednesday so far it is spot on.

Ok, thanks. I don't watch the TV forecasts and mainly look at the Netweather forecast, as it's always been quite accurate for me. Obviously for this spell they are well off. Bit disappointing really.