Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

just wish it would dry up a bit, seems so difficult here to have something inbetween heat and heavy rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

With the jet stream set to move further north next week it won't be as chilly as this week though it will still be breezy with some rain or showers

Posted Image

Jet stream this week

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

just wish it would dry up a bit, seems so difficult here to have something inbetween heat and heavy rain

bone dry here...unlike earlier in summer. any rain weve had recently has all dried off quickly and not soaked in. hence im happy... enough rain to keep the grass growing - me in work, but not too much so i have to struggle with long wet grass.

Posted

not sure why some think this august is so bad, the only thing wrong with it imho is the tempretures... plenty of sun here, good air quality, little rain, dry ground, might be below av temps but its still ok for outdoor activities

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

not sure why some think this august is so bad, the only thing wrong with it imho is the tempretures... plenty of sun here, good air quality, little rain, dry ground, might be below av temps but its still ok for outdoor activities

Agreed..not sure why heat in summer and cold in winter = good and mild and cool = bad..after a long spell of very warm humid conditions in July I am finding August a refreshing change.

• Like 2

Posted

So thats summer 2014 over then.  Not particularly memorable i have to say.

Sorry S-F correct me if i am wrong was summer a poor one??? 

i honestly believe we have had some of the most exciting weather in ages long hot periods broken up by some stunning thunderstorms, mixed in with hot humid days i can think of a lot worse than this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Been plenty of rain here and not a lot of sun, but August usually is disapointing so no real change....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I guess you might be more grumpy about it if you'd worked in a very warm office in July then to find you're freezing to death on a Cornish beach come your August summer hols....

Jet heading north - good - can already see forecasts for here putting us back into mid 20s next week - woo!

• Like 1

Posted

Went for a high-speed blast on me mo'bike a little while back, and could feel the chill thru' my jacket.... a far cry from from August 1995 when I thought I was going to pass out and then liquify inside me leathers. I know which scenario I'd rather have...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

All is not lost going into September with both the GFS and ECM going into a zonal flow and a build up of the Azores high over the UK.

Great just as my week off ends!! grrr

i honestly believe we have had some of the most exciting weather in ages long hot periods broken up by some stunning thunderstorms, mixed in with hot humid days i can think of a lot worse than this summer.

With all due respect I think the south east has had a great summer which is usually the case, however for my part in the south west it's been ok, not as good as last year but not as bad as the summer of 2012.

Although the thunderstorms that have passed by have been pretty good!

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Well, I can honestly say this is the earliest I've ever seen Autumn creeping in. Went out this morning and was struck by the amount of leaves on the ground

For only just over half way through August, that's quite ridiculous.

Posted

but this summer wasnt great for all, some areas might have enjoyed a classic summer but it wasnt a countrywide affair. my 'good summer' was restricted to 9 days in mid july, half as many as last year.  the only thing 'good' about my summer really is that it was pretty dry. its not been very hot nor very humid.

Posted

This morning most certainly had a chill to it for a summers morning anyways. I hope the current thinking remains the same for Saturday night as that likely to be the coldest night of the summer - real chance of an air frost being recorded in some sheltered parts?

Although the days are below average, I wish forecasters would tone it down on the word "cold", its been used a bit too much in forecasts and I don't find the days cold at all, especially in the sun of course. 

Posted

Well today is absolutely awful - freezing cold, no sunshine and lots of persistent, autumn-like rain (as opposed to short-lived downpours).

I can't wait for this Octoberish, summer-wasting crap to go away.

• Like 1

Posted

Well today is absolutely awful - freezing cold, no sunshine and lots of persistent, autumn-like rain (as opposed to short-lived downpours).

I can't wait for this Octoberish, summer-wasting crap to go away.

Too bad for summer-types. Personally, I think it's great.

• Like 2

Posted

Haven't posted for a while, hoping this October dross would go away if I stayed away. But that was wishful thinking.... June and July in to early Aug were perfectly good summer months, both making 200 hours sun and even the "off" days were often partly sunny and in the low 20s. But since August 10th, rubbish rubbish rubbish. Constant howling N or NW winds, temps of 16-17 by day, showers appearing from nowhere- it really has been October. Only plus point is it hasn't been as dull as 2008,2010 or 2011, at least not here.

If this spell finishes in a day or two and we go back to 21C/partly sunny as the default for the rest of August, I'll still rate this summer good. Not too much to ask is it?

August you are now in a relegation play-off, fighting for your "summer month" status. Apart from that hot 1st last year you have produced no proper summer weather for 10 years.

• Like 2

Posted

Constant howling N or NW winds, temps of 16-17 by day, showers appearing from nowhere- it really has been October....

Yes - for me it's actually put a good few Octobers to shame. All that's missing is the much earlier nightfall of October. Can't have your cake etc....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Im quite enjoying August TBH..fresh and breezy a few heavy downpours in the mix and some cool nights its the kind of weather I missed when I was in Canada this weather does not happen over there.

• Like 2

Posted

Im quite enjoying August TBH..fresh and breezy a few heavy downpours in the mix and some cool nights its the kind of weather I missed when I was in Canada this weather does not happen over there.

It's all good. If the weather of June and July had continued unbroken up to the present time (which is what a lot of the complainants appear to have hoped would happen), I reckon most folk would be wishing to see the back of it. There are exceptions, as always.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm bored of summer now. I'm ready for the darkness to take over, the leaves are already turning and last night under clear skies there was a very notable chill in the air. Bring on the winds, the rain, the changing landscape, the frost, and dare I say it, the snow. I'm ready.

Edited by Static Prevails
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Given how this week was built up to be quite nice by a certain cold loving forumer i was hoping for something decent. But imo northerlies are overrated for their sunshine producing capabilities. We have seen very little of it and temperatures have really struggled. This August is fast becoming a nothing sort of month that will be quickly forgotten, much like August 2010 and 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think northerlies generally tend to be cloudier in summer (especially July/August) than at other times of the year, because they are less unstable (the airmasses at the 850hPa level are less cold relative to the surface) and solar heating over the land is more likely to generate convective cloud.  The convective cloud is more likely to hit a cap due to the relatively stable airmasses and thus spread out into stratocumulus. 

There are of course exceptions- I won't forget that dramatic day of sun, showers, hail and thunder on 27 August 1995, which came from a northerly which presumably didn't bring much of a cap on convection- but they are the exceptions.

• Like 1

Posted

Given how this week was built up to be quite nice by a certain cold loving forumer i was hoping for something decent. But imo northerlies are overrated for their sunshine producing capabilities. We have seen very little of it and temperatures have really struggled. This August is fast becoming a nothing sort of month that will be quickly forgotten, much like August 2010 and 2011.

Late afternoon sunshine here, seems to often happen here, cloud melts away as the afternoon progresses. It happened yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes it's certainly true that we have had only brief sunny intervals these last few days which has meant it does feel quite chilly at times.

Not much in the way of rain though just a few brief showers.

In fact i have had to water plants especially the pots and baskets which have continued to dry out in the wind.

Have the feeling now with this chilly pattern and a changeable Atlantic setup promised for next week that this Summer is ending on a whimper.

Still no complaints for me as this Summer has seen a lot of dry and warm weather which has enabled me to enjoy my outdoor activities.

• Like 1