Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

It's been a cracking summer... Just finished two weeks minimum of solid heat.. my work own a country park in Wiltshire where our offices are based and we've been having a football tournament at lunch times. Felt like I was playing in the Qatar world cup.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I can guarantee next week will be a write off as I am on holiday and every year without fail the weather is rubbish!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

In the spring, I actually predicted summer 2013 and 2014 to be another pairing because good summers in the UK seem to come in pairs or small groups, and I have to say I was certainly right. Granted, I wouldn't say we've had a "hot" summer, but it's certainly been warm and decently above average. Furthermore it's had no lengthy Atlantic spells so far, with maybe only two or three days out of each month being Atlantic-dominated. Outside of these times it's been pleasantly warm and fairly bright for the most part and has also given some cracking thunderstorms.

It certainly marks a change from the run of nightmares between 2007 and 2012, where one week of pleasant weather was repaid by a month of Atlantic rubbish.

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

And I certainly think there's more life in the Summer yet and I will still tip the maximum temperature to be bettered in August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

In the spring, I actually predicted summer 2013 and 2014 to be another pairing because good summers in the UK seem to come in pairs or small groups, and I have to say I was certainly right. Granted, I wouldn't say we've had a "hot" summer, but it's certainly been warm and decently above average. Furthermore it's had no lengthy Atlantic spells so far, with maybe only two or three days out of each month being Atlantic-dominated. Outside of these times it's been pleasantly warm and fairly bright for the most part and has also given some cracking thunderstorms.

It certainly marks a change from the run of nightmares between 2007 and 2012, where one week of pleasant weather was repaid by a month of Atlantic rubbish.

After 5 or 6 poor summers maybe now we are going into a run of decent summers now

• Like 3

Posted

Pretty nice day here. 25c and only 6mph winds. Would have been a damn near perfect day if there wasn't so much cloud. Get the sun for a few minutes and then another few minutes of cloud. Still, a very respectable day for July. 

Unfortunately, it's looking like it will be the last for a while. While the next two days are around 23c, there will be nearly relentless cloud. After that, it's sitting around 20c and rainy. I HATE it when it sits around 20c, not warm enough without direct sunlight to wear a t shirt, but not quite cool enough to wear a hoodie etc. It's a very annoying temperature. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Pretty nice day here. 25c and only 6mph winds. Would have been a damn near perfect day if there wasn't so much cloud. Get the sun for a few minutes and then another few minutes of cloud. Still, a very respectable day for July. 

Unfortunately, it's looking like it will be the last for a while. While the next two days are around 23c, there will be nearly relentless cloud. After that, it's sitting around 20c and rainy. I HATE it when it sits around 20c, not warm enough without direct sunlight to wear a t shirt, but not quite cool enough to wear a hoodie etc. It's a very annoying temperature. 

more than warm enough! certainly depends what you're doing

• Like 1

Posted

more than warm enough! certainly depends what you're doing

When I'm working during the day doing manual work, yes, of course it's warm enough. For just sitting in the garden or having a BBQ, no, it's too cool. Not cold, but not really warm either. You also have to factor in winds. 20c with cloud and say a 10mph+ wind would actually be about 18c. Then you have to factor in time of the day. If I get home at 5.30 in the afternoon you can write off that 20c at that's the peak temperature. By the time I'm out in the garden etc it could be 6-6.30 and then the temperatures with cloud and wind would be 17c at best. 

20c is  an annoying temperature. Not warm, but not cold either. 

26-27c with light winds and nearly unbroken sunshine is perfect for me. Hell, even 23c with little wind and lots of sunshine is fine. But 20c with cloud and 10mph+ winds? No thanks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Beautiful day here today warm sunny and not a cloud in the sky I suspect we may hit 25 or even 26c again today in my location...so better than was forecast.

Guest HectorTheAwesome

I consider August the first month of winter here in the North West. It's traditionally even cloudier than April and sometimes even March, and with the wind and rain we often get it feels colder too. It is like winter because winter in the UK is known for its mild, cloudy wet weather, which is the one saving grace of this climate at this Northerly latitude! Thank God for the Atlantic Ocean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Matt Hugo has the first week, maybe more of August as unsettled. In that case it will be warm and dry then :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

I consider August the first month of winter here in the North West.

You may consider August, the first month of winter but I wouldn't take that to court because you could be laughed out of it.I live in NW England and there is no way August can be described this. You gotta be joking?

Guest HectorTheAwesome

I live further north than you. Don't forget of course that in NW Scotland August is very cold and cloudy and wet. That's why it has more in common with winter than with summer. Quite logical in my opinion.

Posted

That's why it has more in common with winter than with summer. Quite logical in my opinion.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree.Flora and fauna are active, leaves still on trees, the sun still sets after 8pm even at end of August, days still longer than night. There is no way in a million years, August is more common with winter than summer.And that isn't mentioning the weather aspects! Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

NW England may see autumnal weather late August, as it's often dominated by the Atlantic, would have thought max temps around 15C common after 20th

Guest HectorTheAwesome

I'm sorry but I totally disagree.Flora and fauna are active, leaves still on trees, the sun still sets after 8pm even at end of August, days still longer than night. There is no way in a million years, August is more common with winter than summer.And that isn't mentioning the weather aspects!

I'm sorry but I totally disagree.

Mushrooms are growing, leaves area already falling here, the sun is setting noticeably earlier than ever, already dark by 10PM, and the daylight issue is a false argument because the high latitudes get freezing summers but nearly 24 hours of daylight despite having winter all year round. 

You didn't mention the weather aspects because you clearly know they are very much more like winter than say, July. Please take a look at some averages.

• Like 1

Posted

You didn't mention the weather aspects because you clearly know they are very much more like winter than say, July. Please take a look at some averages.

Here are the averages for Carlisle http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Carlisle/statistics.htmlBraemarhttp://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Braemar/statistics.html

Posted

I do believe we have an early appearance of the lesser spotted, winter time troll .....well, people did say there were early signs of Autumn this year. :nonono:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Mushrooms are growing, leaves area already falling here, the sun is setting noticeably earlier than ever, already dark by 10PM, and the daylight issue is a false argument because the high latitudes get freezing summers but nearly 24 hours of daylight despite having winter all year round. 

What the warmest/ second warmest month of the year is now a Winter month - give me strength :)

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 3

Posted

Welcome back! I like your new user name  btw :laugh:

Posted
Against the odds July has managed to be sufficiently sunny to cancel out the dismal June. A respectable 213 hours for July compared to a disgusting 117 hours for June which is close to the greatest margin on record by which July sunshine has exceeded June (98 hours in 1990). A few hours tomorrow would beat the record.

July has been by far the best summer month over the past decade. This is the third with over 200 hours sun compared to none at all for June and August. Not unusual for August which rarely reaches that threshold but a disgrace for June.

Now down to August to decide the summer. A good August will give a good summer while a poor one would result in yet another bad summer. Not looking at all good at the moment with the next week looking abysmal. Saturday yet again looking a miserable write-off.

The weekend weather this year really has been worse than any other year I can recall. Absolutely disgusting especially Saturday which seems to be a write-off 75% of the time. Only 2 of the past 7 Saturdays have managed even 2 hours of sun which would be a disgrace in winter. Thought it wouldn't be possible to get an 8th consecutive summer where the weekend weather is worse than weekday but this is just about the worse of the lot especially given this has been the pattern all year.
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I live further north than you. Don't forget of course that in NW Scotland August is very cold and cloudy and wet. That's why it has more in common with winter than with summer. Quite logical in my opinion.

I've heard it all now.. 

Come on peeps give H'T'A a break he must be trying to be getting a new enterprise going!!!!

post-11006-0-38353700-1406755515_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Obviousley hector is having a laugh and he has not said where his location is but on second thoughts he probably gets little in the way of winter due to the gulf stream if he is near the coast,carlisle gets little snow and frost,so a poor august could resemble a winters month.Having said that even here we can have winters days in double figures and nice sunshine as well as cold wet days in single figures in the height of summer but that would be odd days only and cannot be described as anything normal!!