Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Temperatures are really rising fast here, I'm now at 28.7C - 30C looks very likely. An absolutely gorgeous day, today.

Very good. Sounds a world away from the stuff that NW England had to endure during the bad summers.

Posted

Looks like Bournemouth has reached 30c. Bet its a scorcher in the beach, and packed too!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Max 29.0c so far, dropped back to 28.1c atm.

Posted

It would be even more packed if it was a weekend. There's a lot of people milling around up here too. The world feels so much nicer in summer.

Ive got to say that is so true. I was walking round on my lunch break yesterday and the nice weather made Hull city centre, which can look a bit drab in parts, look thriving with so many people around. The waterside seating areas and parks were packed. The blue skies make everywhere look so much cleaner and vibrant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Am I right in saying that Ireland or at least parts of it seems to have a really thundery year thus far?Whenever I look when sferics are active, some part of Ireland seems to have been affected this year.

It's really annoying that a country renowned for being as dull as dishwater (weather-wise), not to mention virtually devoid of heat, is getting so many thunderstorms this year, while I get nothing.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Stornoway in the Western Isles currently at 27c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The sheer extent of the very warm weather is the best thing about this spell, Wales, Scotland and Ireland all getting into the high 20s. It really is just the north east today and even here it's limited as Aberdeen is warm today as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

That is good going since I am on my hottest day of year today at 25 deg....What is stornaways record anyway?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Scotland has its hottest day of the year so far with Kinlochewe (Northwest Highlands) hitting 29.4C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

30c just breached here this afternoon. What a scorcher! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fantastic spell of weather this, certainly the best in terms of widespread sunshine across the UK and best in terms of temperature here. 30.5C the max here making it the hottest day of the year so far.

I'm not enamoured at all by the August charts, hopefully they won't verify. I do think August is the most balanced of summer months however. In both the worst and best summers (except 2008), August has featured virtually everything rather than being either a heatfest or a washout.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

We scraped 19.2℃, could have been a little higher if the sun was out for more than just 10 mins, yes the sun made an appearance albiet very brief..

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As much as some are complaining and indeed last weekend and most of this summer has been too humid this week while too hot has actually had very reasonable humidity.

Posted

The sheer extent of the very warm weather is the best thing about this spell, Wales, Scotland and Ireland all getting into the high 20s. It really is just the north east today and even here it's limited as Aberdeen is warm today as well.

Ireland and western Scotland usually join in good summers. 2005 and 2006 both saw hot spells in Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Hopefully it'll cool down quite a bit...etc...etc..ad infinitum.....with Summer speedily coming to a close i think you're fighting a losing battle mate :). The thought of cooler weather must really grind your gears...lol

Summer is nowhere near closing. Summer doesn't automatically end on September 1st. If you get a Indian Summer, it can last until October. 

In my mind, we are just about at half way through Summer, and August can often see the warmest temperatures of the year. The northern hemisphere is technically at it's warmth peak around August 10-12th. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Well, meteorological Summer does.... June, July and August. I didn't say that it would be the end of the warmth but as Summer comes to a close at the end of August the chance of getting cooler temperatures grows and the chance of warmer temperatures diminish. That's not always the case but shorter days and a weaker sun and all.....I could say that we had six months of Autumn last year, September through until March because it was such a poor Winter...It doesn't mean Winter didn't exist.

Edited by simshady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Well, meteorological Summer does.... June, July and August. I didn't say that it would be the end of the warmth but as Summer comes to a close at the end of August the chance of getting cooler temperatures grows and the chance of warmer temperatures diminish. That's not always the case but shorter days and a weaker sun and all.....I could say that we had six months of Autumn last year, September through until March because it was such a poor Winter...It doesn't mean Winter didn't exist.

Exactly, you've just proved my point. Seasons aren't regimented to a calender month. The weather dictates that. If you get warm/hot weather in September people for some reason say it's a Autumn heatwave, it's not, it's a continuation of Summer. September isn't really a Autumn month anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Exactly, you've just proved my point. Seasons aren't regimented to a calender month. The weather dictates that. If you get warm/hot weather in September people for some reason say it's a Autumn heatwave, it's not, it's a continuation of Summer. September isn't really a Autumn month anyway. 

Ok...If August is unsettled and cool then I'm having it as an Autumn month. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Maybe there are those whose comments are designed to wind others up...a little banter perhaps but some others I don't think so,that I think is just sad.I for one like to enjoy the weather wether it be a long hot summer or the bitterest of winters,for many our dislike is the majority inbetween or all of it at times being wind and rain! I for one am enjoying this hot spell and long may it continue and for those that dislike it your time will come you don't have to spoil it for others and I will be looking forward to snow when the time comes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nowadays this sort of weather gives me a similar urge to make the most of it as with snowstorms, thunderstorms and gales (in a relatively cloudy country like Britain the large sunshine amounts and relatively high daytime temperatures have novelty value), so I've been going out for plenty of walks recently.  I say relatively high because it's been getting up to around 25C here, which, though well above the long-term average, isn't anything exceptional.  It looks like Saturday could be a few degrees hotter than that though.

It's another of those spells where I sense a fair amount of frustration would be creeping in if I was living in Cleadon (it's a couple of miles further inland than Marsden but not enough to miss most of the low cloud).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Every time I look at the forecast for me in Darlington the rain keeps getting pushed further and further back with temperatures next week around average

Posted Image

Posted

Hey what a great spell of hot weather..Everywhere but the North East..

Again the low cloud and mist shrouds the coast,the sun almost won but its first round to the mist..

Ding ding, seconds out round two...c'mon sunshine...!!!

post-5386-0-02736400-1406281968_thumb.pn

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

post-5386-0-61157900-1406282074_thumb.pn

http://sat24.com/en/gb

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sure the Atlantic will be here soon for all those hiding in a blacked out room in their cellar.

Good God I hope it hurries up - I'll come out to play,then.

Posted

Early September is warmer than early June.