Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Summer here..

June: Moderate to good sunshine, moderate to good lack of rainfall, moderate to good temperature albeit the humidity did make me consider knocking a point

6/10

July: Moderate to good sunshine, moderate to good lack of rainfall, moderate to good temperature 

6/10

August: Low to moderate sunshine but it's saving grace was being relatively cool and wet (i prefer earlier seasons). For almost giving me a tornado and the storms at the beginning it gets the extra special point. 

8/10

• Like 1

Posted

I've just devised my own silly, back-of-an-envelope scoring for the summer months  based on my records. Start at 0, add one for a day with a max >20C, subtract one for a day with a max of <17C, add one for a day with no rain, subtract one for a day that had rain.

Results are:

Jun: 16
Jul: 24

Aug: 5

Very primitive scoring I know, but it puts August in its rightful place. :p

Edited by h2005uk
  • Like 1

Posted

it didn't look very autumnal in america watching the US open yesterday and it get's darker earlier there than it does here

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just some rankings (off the top of my head, not as scientific as I often do) for recent summers to see how they compared:

2010 June 8, July 5.5, August 4, mean 5.8

2011 June 5.5, July 5, August 4, mean 4.8

2012 June 2, July 2.5, August 6, mean 3.5

2013 June 6.5, July 8.5, August 6, mean 7.0

2014 June 6, July 8, August 4.5, mean 6.2

A reasonable summer overall, but not up there with last year, mainly due to a more pronounced decline into August.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

septembers like summer?.... really?  even if for a few hours early afternoon its warm and summer-like, the evenings, nights, and mornings are clearly autumnal..... not to mention turning/falling leaves.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

septembers like summer?.... really?  even if for a few hours early afternoon its warm and summer-like, the evenings, nights, and mornings are clearly autumnal..... not to mention turning/falling leaves.

September is closer to June, July and August temperature-wise than October or November - and almost identical to June. Where it differs is shorter daylight hours and dewy mornings, and September heralds the end of the warm season and the inevitable decline towards autumn and winter, whereas June heralds summer and increasing warmth/daylight.

September is autumn, but it's not autumn in an October or November sense - it isn't an unsettled month and is capable of hot weather - whereas November is not, and only the first day or two of October are really capable of producing 'hot' weather. As I mentioned, September is a shoulder month - it isn't really summer or autumn - it's the transition period. There is a sense of 'decay' but it isn't very evident yet - the trees are green still. Just like in March, there is a sense of an uptick, with longer daylight and increasing temperatures, but the trees still remain bare mostly, and frosts are still relatively frequent.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

another fine summer like day i wish march was winter like but rarely ever is, the cold dark season is such a short season we has weather like today 6 months ago

Edited by Tony27

Posted

I disagree, it hasnt been a summer like day..... True that a few hours in early afternoon. Were summer like, but the morning was chilly and fresh with a heavy dew. Plus the temps soon dropped when the cloud came.

So to discribe the day as like summer is misleading.

Cheese.... Most of the trees here are green, but some speciese are turning and limes in particular are starting to drop.

Posted

June - Horrific start, but from then on mostly dry and bright with slightly above average temperatures. 7/10.

July - Mix of slightly above and above average temperatures with a lot of sunshine, almost perfect. 9.5/10.

August - Disgraceful excuse for a summer month, pathetic weather, I counted 3 days where it was possible to go outside without freezing or getting soaked. 1/10.

September - Doing its best to make us forget about August, not very warm but at least dry and bright. 7/10.

• Like 1

Posted

I disagree, it hasnt been a summer like day..... True that a few hours in early afternoon. Were summer like, but the morning was chilly and fresh with a heavy dew. Plus the temps soon dropped when the cloud came.

So to discribe the day as like summer is misleading.

Cheese.... Most of the trees here are green, but some speciese are turning and limes in particular are starting to drop.

it was only chilly for a couple of hours this morning and it's only just getting dark now so you will only see a couple of hours of darkness before you go to bed funny how you haven't mentioned that, i don't count the darker evenings as autumn like though, as i said before in lots of hot countries it gets dark at 6pm or 7pm

Edited by Tony27

Posted

it was only chilly for a couple of hours this morning and it's only just getting dark now so you will only see a couple of hours of darkness before you go to bed funny how you haven't mentioned that, i don't count the darker evenings as autumn like though, as i said before in lots of hot countries it gets dark at 6pm or 7pm

I didnt take my shirt off until after noon, ie no sweat, hardly summer like and as you are so keen on temps....

What has other countries night time got to do with autumn in the uk? Thats like saying we dont get a proper winter because we get 6 hours daylight whilst the arctic has months of darkness... Ridiculous.

I work outdoors, its nothing like summer except for a few hours early afternoon. The rest of the day which is a full 24 hours certainly isnt whether youre asleep or not, seasons dont stop when youre in bed you know! Lol

• Like 1

Posted

seasons don't stop when we are at work either and we still get 14 hours of daylight, it don't stop people complaining about the "shorter days" though,

i'd give anything for "a few hours" of snow in the afternoon in winter

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I didnt take my shirt off until after noon, ie no sweat, hardly summer like and as you are so keen on temps....

What has other countries night time got to do with autumn in the uk? Thats like saying we dont get a proper winter because we get 6 hours daylight whilst the arctic has months of darkness... Ridiculous.

I work outdoors, its nothing like summer except for a few hours early afternoon. The rest of the day which is a full 24 hours certainly isnt whether youre asleep or not, seasons dont stop when youre in bed you know! Lol

Will have to disagree with you there,Today was quite summer like for a few hours as you say but yesterday was sunny the entire day,calm and very warm feeling and certainly better than anything august could produce,the farmers were haymaking it felt like SUMMER to me at least for daylight hours anyway!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This summerlike weather can last as long as its able to as far as im concerned. Anything to prolong the pleasant comfortable time of year. Im off camping 20/21st of the month and ive got everything crossed that the fine weather holds. If it does than it would still feel like summer, minus the light evenings, and would make up for the rather chilly weekend camping in August.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm on holiday in eastern France at the moment and it has certainly been well-timed- temperatures up into the mid to high 20s by day and plenty of sunshine, some scattered thunderstorms about too, although my location has missed them so far, hoping to catch a couple over the next two days when potential is highest.  Early September is thus well capable of feeling like an extension of summer, though it is easier to get that feeling on the continent than in the UK- most fine spells in early September do have an autumnal-feeling element to them, a sense of it being summer's last "fling" and a reminder of what could have been if we'd had the right synoptics in August.  The best example that I can remember in the UK of a start to autumn that felt genuinely like an extension of summer was early September 1999.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I'm on holiday in eastern France at the moment and it has certainly been well-timed- temperatures up into the mid to high 20s by day and plenty of sunshine, some scattered thunderstorms about too, although my location has missed them so far, hoping to catch a couple over the next two days when potential is highest.  Early September is thus well capable of feeling like an extension of summer, though it is easier to get that feeling on the continent than in the UK- most fine spells in early September do have an autumnal-feeling element to them, a sense of it being summer's last "fling" and a reminder of what could have been if we'd had the right synoptics in August.  The best example that I can remember in the UK of a start to autumn that felt genuinely like an extension of summer was early September 1999.

I Wonder what it feels like to experience September weather that feels like the beginning of winter.

The chart below was before my time, perhaps if John Holmes is online he would be kind enough to enlighten us on what it felt like.

archives-1919-9-20-0-0.png?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Maybe I'm not as soft as some, but this weather is neither summer nor autumn for me. Summer weather for me is wearing a tee shirt all day (including shorts if it's hot), trousers if not, and long into the evening. Autumn is having to wear another layer when leaving the house in the morning and maintaining it for the day. This weather however is a bit of both. After a low of 8.2C last night, I reached a high of 23.2C this afternoon. The main summery grace of this spell is the sunshine. Without that, it would be autumnal, there's no getting away from it.

I'm just waiting for the Atlantic to switch back on again. I can't remember the last convective day I witnessed!

Posted

I Wonder what it feels like to experience September weather that feels like the beginning of winter.

The chart below was before my time, perhaps if John Holmes is online he would be kind enough to enlighten us on what it felt like.

archives-1919-9-20-0-0.png?

you cheeky sod, not sure if my dad was even born on that date!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Made me chuckle this morning John  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Will have to disagree with you there,Today was quite summer like for a few hours as you say but yesterday was sunny the entire day,calm and very warm feeling and certainly better than anything august could produce,the farmers were haymaking it felt like SUMMER to me at least for daylight hours anyway!!!

wheres the disagreement?... i agree that it was like summer for a few hours! thats my point, it was for a few hours and not 'all day'.

seasons don't stop when we are at work either and we still get 14 hours of daylight, it don't stop people complaining about the "shorter days" though,

i'd give anything for "a few hours" of snow in the afternoon in winter

i work in the seasonal weather... i know seasons dont stop when we work (well at least for us outdoor people) and i didnt suggest they did!

of course people moan about shorter days, people in general prefer daylight to dark. dunno what thats got to do with it.

. Summer weather for me is wearing a tee shirt all day (including shorts if it's hot), trousers if not, and long into the evening. Autumn is having to wear another layer when leaving the house in the morning and maintaining it for the day. This weather however is a bit of both. After a low of 8.2C last night, I reached a high of 23.2C this afternoon. The main summery grace of this spell is the sunshine. Without that, it would be autumnal, there's no getting away from it.

exactly!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

wheres the disagreement?... i agree that it was like summer for a few hours! thats my point, it was for a few hours and not 'all day'.

i work in the seasonal weather... i know seasons dont stop when we work (well at least for us outdoor people) and i didnt suggest they did!

of course people moan about shorter days, people in general prefer daylight to dark. dunno what thats got to do with it.

exactly!...

So because you work outdoors what you say goes?!

Lots of people have outdoor jobs and many of them will still feel its summery. Was last month Autumn then as the weather was colder, duller and wetter than what we have had lately? What a strange world you live in.

Yesterday I was outside all day, I was still just wearing a t-shirt and shorts when I took the dog out for her late walk at 9pm.

You are a pessimistic person, your posts show that, but it is difficult to argue it is anything but summer like weather currently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

exactly!...

In reference to MP-R's post, a typical summer day here would see a high of 21C and a low of 12C, and by the evening, the temperature will have more than likely dipped below 20C, which isn't really conductive to shorts and probably not even a T-shirt. Most summer evenings here aren't warm enough for a T-shirt. It feels autumnal this morning due to the dew and mist, but the temperatures are about the same as June.

As I said, September isn't really autumnal - I mean, it's not summer either - it's a transition month - but is more like July than October.

But in any case, September is here, the days are shorter, the mornings are cooler - there's not much to be done. Might as well enjoy the warm days while they still last as they'll be gone soon.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In reference to MP-R's post, a typical summer day here would see a high of 21C and a low of 12C, and by the evening, the temperature will have more than likely dipped below 20C, which isn't really conductive to shorts and probably not even a T-shirt. Most summer evenings here aren't warm enough for a T-shirt. It feels autumnal this morning due to the dew and mist, but the temperatures are about the same as June.

As I said, September isn't really autumnal - I mean, it's not summer either - it's a transition month - but is more like July than October.

But in any case, September is here, the days are shorter, the mornings are cooler - there's not much to be done. Might as well enjoy the warm days while they still last as they'll be gone soon.

I'm not saying the weather is always summery in summer  :p but comparing this weather to June and July, there's quite a stark difference. September minima so far have been far lower than much of June but if they were both in single figures, 8C at 7am in September would be at 4.30-5am in June before warming up rapidly so no chill is felt by the time people are up and about. I must also add that living in North Somerset, I probably get warmer summer temperatures than you do so I'm judging it from a different point.

• Like 1