Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

July had better not carry on with this SE-only heat, it's the absolute worst kind of summer setup for me.

I absolutely abhor it. July 2010 was one of the most disgusting summer months you could ever hope to experience - a month I never hope to see repeated. And just to rub it in, not only does the warmth disappear where you are but it increases for those who still have it. At least the sun is back out this evening.

June was nice for the most part however, despite a rubbish beginning and end. Certainly not one of those atrocious NW/SE split type of months.

Posted

Sticky night? Lol it was probably only 14C last night!! 

Try living on the south coast with average lows of 15C in summer.. to me 18C lows are the most pleasant. How anyone can find 14C lows 'sticky' is beyond me!! 

Luckily I am leaving this country for a few weeks to head to the Mediterranean soon, where I will see some real summer weather with 30C highs and 20C lows  :yahoo:

14C is not OK when doing physical graft, and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than live on the south coast. I expect you'll be doing nothing more 'involving' than lying around on the beach and necking crappy lager in the Med? And folk pay for that??

For some reason, I can't get excited about the prospect of nice weather hundreds of miles away. I wish it was cloudy everywhere, because if I can't have nice weather, nobody else can either. Don't care about it being hot - just some sunshine would be nice.

Posted Image

You don't need to go hundreds of miles - just hop over the county border, it's cracking the pavement here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Wish the heat would bugger off quicker if only the SE isGoing to get it. Frustrating.

to think that the south east had a neutral temperature anomaly for June whilst the rest of the country was above average. Wouldn't think that on here......

It was 26C here today and I was fine working hard both inside and out. Some people should take their coats off once in a while :p

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

I absolutely abhor it. July 2010 was one of the most disgusting summer months you could ever hope to experience - a month I never hope to see repeated. And just to rub it in, not only does the warmth disappear where you are but it increases for those who still have it. At least the sun is back out this evening.

June was nice for the most part however, despite a rubbish beginning and end. Certainly not one of those atrocious NW/SE split type of months.

I won't even mention that abomination of a month by name. Sufficed to say I'm really dreading a repeat, as last month wasn't too dissimilar to June 2010. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Most people in the world live in climates with summers far hotter than our own, and life continues as normal. Spaniards are generally fitter and healthier than Britons.

• Like 3

Posted

I know  im loooking at it from my opinon. I dont know where nationwide get their stats from. from what i recall 2012 was  fairly sunny  but often  very cold.

And last year was sunny for  half of the month here at least. Hey well  who knows :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't think we'd be British unless we complain about the weather. If it's not too hot, it's too cold.

Personally I love it hot and cold. Maybe I should hand in my passport?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

July 2010 was actually a very nice month in my location, much more so than I realized until I viewed my local weather station records. I always thought July 2013 was our warmest month since July 2006 but July 2010 was actually warmer than 2013 with an average temperature of 18.5c, with 2013 recording 18.1c. July of 2010 didn't have as high maximums as 2013, but on average it was warmer. 

This surprised me very much, I can only put it down to July 2010 having quite a lot of cloud from what I can recall which didn't make it seem as warm. 

July of 2006 is still the best month in my 22 year lifetime by quite a stretch, average month temperature of 20c with not one day recording a maxima of less than 22c and seven days over 30c. 2006 was also special for it's tiny 12mm of rain all month and almost unbroken sunshine for the whole month. I've never known such a unbroken spell of wall to wall sunshine before or since. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I don't think we'd be British unless we complain about the weather. If it's not too hot, it's too cold.

Personally I love it hot and cold. Maybe I should hand in my passport?

Haha. I NEVER complain about heat, it would never get to a high enough temperature in this country to the point I'd complain. 

But I do complain about the cold, mainly because it's so frequent in this country. Save for the last 12 months of course. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I know  im loooking at it from my opinon. I dont know where nationwide get their stats from. from what i recall 2012 was  fairly sunny  but often  very cold.

And last year was sunny for  half of the month here at least. Hey well  who knows :pardon:

Maybe you are having a laugh?

Summer 2012 was a total washout here and your just on the road from here!!!!

Posted

No  june 2012  it was a cold clear month with alot of sunshine.  and  nope it wasnt a complete wash out.. middle of july to  early august during the olympics it was  quite nice. Though 2012 was another poor summer in recent years.

Posted

No  june 2012  it was a cold clear month with alot of sunshine.  and  nope it wasnt a complete wash out.. middle of july to  early august during the olympics it was  quite nice. Though 2012 was another poor summer in recent years.

June 2012 was the worst summer month I've ever experienced - very cold, extremely wet and very dull. You must be thinking of some other month. 2012 in general was the worst summer ever as far as I'm concerned - way worse than 2007 or 2008. Truly abysmal. The weather did brighten up for the Olympics.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I spent July 2010 in Norwich, and the month was remarkable for its frequency of daytime maxima in the mid to high 20s, reaching 30C on the 9th and 10th.  Although the rainfall total was statistically near average, most of the rain fell in a few heavy localised downpours, so the general impression was of a notably warm and dry month.  However, it was somewhat less remarkable sunshine wise, for although the first two-thirds of the month were quite sunny, the last week was cloudy (convective cloud hitting a cap and spreading into stratocumulus was a recurring issue) and so the month's sunshine total was only around average.

The most memorable spell of that summer in Norwich was the period 22nd June to 4th July which had consistently sunny weather and daytime temperatures between 25 and 29C. 

The stats for western Britain for July 2010 strongly suggest a very grey and muggy month dominated by tropical maritime air.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

I spent July 2010 in Norwich, and the month was remarkable for its frequency of daytime maxima in the mid to high 20s, reaching 30C on the 9th and 10th.  Although the rainfall total was statistically near average, most of the rain fell in a few heavy localised downpours, so the general impression was of a notably warm and dry month.  However, it was somewhat less remarkable sunshine wise, for although the first two-thirds of the month were quite sunny, the last week was cloudy (convective cloud hitting a cap and spreading into stratocumulus was a recurring issue) and so the month's sunshine total was only around average.

The most memorable spell of that summer in Norwich was the period 22nd June to 4th July which had consistently sunny weather and daytime temperatures between 25 and 29C. 

The stats for western Britain for July 2010 strongly suggest a very grey and muggy month dominated by tropical maritime air.

Indeed it was, another summer with a very good June followed by a bad/very bad July, at least down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Unfortunately in my area (North Cheshire/Merseyside) June was mostly overcast and chilly, and July looks to be panning out the same.  I remember the hot summer of 1959 but I was only nine.  Other than that 1976 was of course the hottest summer in living memory.

Sadly, the now established pattern for summer seems to be frequent incursions of Pm on N/Westerly winds leading to chilly nights before cloud bubbles up just before breakfast which then infills all day until evening when the cloud melts away to leave yet another cold night.

Looking at the temperature charts summer temps have arrived to more northerly parts than the UK, but there seems to a semi-permanent tongue of cold air licking down from the Arctic to cover the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

No Pete, actually even your area had a rather warm, quite sunny and fairly dry June, see Reefs links to MO maps above^^

Posted

Tony H.. if the man says  june was dull  it was dull. He lives in that location. June was pretty poor compared to previous Junes in my area.. No doubt someone will say this June was better than last June  in the western part of the the uk.. IT WASNT.

Hilbilly nope am not having a laugh, june 2012 from my recollection was fairly sunny  but very cold.. Because  there was  a  strong north easterly blowing.. And Mentioning 2007 as been better than 2012. You are the one having a laugh.. 2007 was  the worst summer in living memory..

Edited by no1-as-a-clue
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Tony H.. if the man says  june was dull  it was dull. He lives in that location. June was pretty poor compared to previous Junes in my area.. No doubt someone will say this June was better than last June  in the western part of the the uk.. IT WASNT.

Hilbilly nope am not having a laugh, june 2012 from my recollection was fairly sunny  but very cold.. Because  there was  a  strong north easterly blowing.. And Mentioning 2007 as been better than 2012. You are the one having a laugh.. 2007 was  the worst summer in living memory..

I know the weather in leeds is generally better than here but CHEESE give a similar account to what we had here and he is from leeds.As for here summer 2007 was poor but both 2008 and 2012 were much worse than 2007.In 2007 we had a very wet june and into july but the rest of july and august was not too bad ,sunny but rather cool.2008 and 2012 were truly abysmal,the june of 2008 wasn't too bad but we had to wait until the middle of September to get anything to resemble summer,2012 did nothing but rain the whole summer!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Writtle in Essex hit 28.0c around mid day making it the hottest day of the year so far wouldn't be surprised if we get to around 29c

Posted

What and trust human memory and fickleness over the Met Office  :oops:

In this particular part of western UK it was a thoroughly good June, slightly wetter but warmer than June 2013, while June 2012 was a washout with 218mm rain here.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Writtle in Essex hit 28.0c around mid day making it the hottest day of the year so far wouldn't be surprised if we get to around 29c

Writtle recorded both the highest max (27.7C) and lowest min (10.0C) for the region yesterday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

June was a gorgeous month. Plenty of sunshine and never too warm, but easily comfortable enough for BBQs and beer gardens!

I've noticed on here several people saying 15-20c is very uncomfortable to them. I don't want to sound patronising, but I suggest you get yourself checked out, as that seems quite an extreme intolerance to a mild temperature.

• Like 3

Posted

This June was in the average range for sunshine, maybe slightly duller than average, although it was warmer than average - warmer than last year's June by far.

June 2007 was warmer than June 2012. June 2007 had an average high of 19.1C here compared to 17.5C in 2012. June 2007 was considerably wetter, but June 2007 had plenty of warm days in the low to mid 20s, whereas 2012 did not. June 2007 had 14 days above 20C, compared to 5 - yes, 5 - in 2012.

July 2007 was a bit warmer than July 2012, but wetter, and August 2007 was cooler than August 2012, but August 2012 was much wetter.

Edited by cheese

What do the Met Office stats for June say.

The MetOffice charts for June are out and it looks like it was very warm in Scotland and the south-west but above average everywhere except East Anglia:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2014/6/2014_6_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Quite a dry month overall apart from a few areas that had a few thunderstorms early in the month:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2014/6/2014_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Generally a north-east / south-west split with regards to sunshine:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2014/6/2014_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Locally speaking it was 0.4C above average, 64% rainfall and 92% sunshine, so an average sort of month.

So sunnier than average by over 30%, drier than average, (But not by as much as last year, but much warmer than average and about 2c warmer than last June locally.)

The local "CET" equivalent for June was 16.1c, some 1.5c above average.

So the comments about western areas, must be slightly true for north western areas but not for south western areas. 

Edited by J10