Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/03/14 onwards.

Posted

Yup. Morning snapshot. ECM msl fot the weekend.  By Monday the GFS has the HP centred on the north German coast near Denmark. GFS surface temps gradually increase over the weekend from being slightly below norm on Saturday, around norm on Sunday and above norm on Monday, significantly so in Scotland

post-12275-0-91929300-1398667920_thumb.p

post-12275-0-12788000-1398667928_thumb.p

post-12275-0-50921000-1398667935_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Just when I though from last night's 12z ensembles that there may be a trend to higher pressure from D10+ this morning's GFS ens are again now split. At T252 there are eight with a MLB over the UK, eight with a slack LP flow and six between the two.  The mean highlights this:

post-14819-0-62215200-1398663878_thumb.p

So still lots of uncertainty from the GFS beyond the Bank Holiday. About 25% of ens have an unsettled Bank Holiday Monday so a good long weekend must now be favorite. 

The 0z op loses the ridge by next Tuesday and brings us into an Atlantic flow as the PV (what remains) regroups back over Greenland, we are at the end of the line, as HP is never to far to our E/NE, so frequent bands of rain for 5+ days. Not much support in the ensembles for this so unlikely.

post-14819-0-83625300-1398664353_thumb.p  post-14819-0-05729500-1398664364_thumb.p  post-14819-0-04662300-1398664372_thumb.p

The GEM also sees the high slip east by T186: post-14819-0-24199000-1398664550_thumb.p

And an unsettled spell of lows and fronts hit the UK, as the jet runs through the UK:  post-14819-0-31928100-1398664596_thumb.p

By T192 on the ECM we can see the PV moving from Siberia back towards the Arctic so with a MLB established over the UK with a feed from the Azores High we keep on the warm side of the polar jet and eventually drag up some mild uppers:

By D10: post-14819-0-47379300-1398668346_thumb.g  post-14819-0-07540200-1398668358_thumb.g

Similar synoptics to last night's mean but an improvement on. Bank that run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at ECM the cold air is getting watered down again this morning with temperatures soaring at the end mid 20's looks possible given the 850's

This is the coldest it gets with just a glancing blow on show now

Posted ImagePosted Image

From Saturday its high pressure galore with temperatures slowly recovering

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

With many more run's before the cold from the North spills South towards the end of the week, I'm sure we will see many more variations in detail. And that detail will make all the difference.

An interesting week coming up Model watching.  

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking at the ECM ens regarding STs it is not dissimilar to the direction of the GFS  A gradual warming from Saturday through to Monday and a blocking of any colder air. At the moment, and one must stress at the moment, it's looking good for a pretty cracking weekend. Pity a week's a long time in meteorology but I'd still take a punt on this not being far out given the upper air setup.

post-12275-0-49341300-1398678062_thumb.p

post-12275-0-46529500-1398678071_thumb.p

post-12275-0-07221000-1398678081_thumb.p

post-12275-0-42111200-1398678088_thumb.p

post-12275-0-46060100-1398678097_thumb.p

post-12275-0-36847100-1398678105_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

Summer is on the way, if you believe the ecm model. The ext ens also prolong this settled period into days 10-15, with a positive temp anomaly and high pressure dominating. CFS ens less sure, they're still trending for an average/below average month as a whole - tho they do show a settled start to May, first 10 or so. Which is a far cry from a previous update. Since last October, any cold shown by the models has never seen the light of day. The way the models are moving, piers corbyn may be on the mark with his recent suggestions re heat!

Posted Image

Ecm control days 10-15,temp anomaly.

Says it all!

Edited by draztik
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Hey folks.

Not posted for a while. It's festival time for me this weekend. Getting on the decks at party in the pines in north lincs.

Any chance of an update in idiot terms so I can understand and then pass on to the 1500 + people attending.

It's been a great read for this up and coming weekend but with people camping I would like to warn them to wrap up if it's gona get cold.

Appreciate the help (if I get some ;) )

Edited by Lincstim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I think we can probably consign any possible cold outbreak to the bin now. Its been so watered down that its not really anything notable. The GFS 12z has the 0C 850 hpa line just scraping past southern England and temperatures are back up to 12-15c by Saturday. The coolest day is Friday with 10-13c across the UK.

The notable upgrade has been that of high pressure. This mornings ECM op would deliver almost summerlike conditions.

• Like 5

Posted

Hey folks.Not posted for a while. It's festival time for me this weekend. Getting on the decks at party in the pines in north lincs.Any chance of an update in idiot terms so I can understand and then pass on to the 1500 + people attending.It's been a great read for this up and coming weekend but with people camping I would like to warn them to wrap up if it's gona get cold.Appreciate the help (if I get some ;) )

I know this is a rather reactionary idea but why not consult the professionals?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Downgrade continues on the GFS and cold is changing to a short lived cool spell. Good chance by Wednesday it will have gone altogether. UKMo though still keen to bring the cold uppers in. This results a good three degree difference in temps for Sheffield during Thursday and Friday. ECM not out yet it will be interesting too see if that follows the GFS idea or falls back towards the UKMO.

• Like 2

Posted

I know this is a rather reactionary idea but why not consult the professionals?

I'm much happier (as I have done for the last couple of years ) getting feedback on the potential weather from the experts (or knowledgable people) of this forum. No ones questioned me asking before and and everyone previously has been extremely helpful. I love all things weather but my knowledge of understanding all that is posted is not great. And last year the info I received from here was amazing and spot on as a lot of the professional forecasters predicted rain and cloud cover! Well tell that to my sunburnt legs!!!! Exactly as I was told on here hot and dry with potentially one or two showers ! (2 very brief showers)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

And back to discussing the models please folks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I'm much happier (as I have done for the last couple of years ) getting feedback on the potential weather from the experts (or knowledgable people) of this forum.No ones questioned me asking before and and everyone previously has been extremely helpful.I love all things weather but my knowledge of understanding all that is posted is not great.And last year the info I received from here was amazing and spot on as a lot of the professional forecasters predicted rain and cloud cover!Well tell that to my sunburnt legs!!!! Exactly as I was told on here hot and dry with potentially one or two showers ! (2 very brief showers)

Hiyer, yes fine conditions, no rain and coldnights.  Plenty of sunshine by day. You choose the right weekend! Enjoy!

post-6830-0-56999800-1398704989_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks very much

Keep up the great work on here

Love reading all the updates

:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Downgrade continues on the GFS and cold is changing to a short lived cool spell. Good chance by Wednesday it will have gone altogether. UKMo though still keen to bring the cold uppers in. This results a good three degree difference in temps for Sheffield during Thursday and Friday. ECM not out yet it will be interesting too see if that follows the GFS idea or falls back towards the UKMO.

Hopefully the UKMO will follow the big two! Watching this downgrade has been quite pleasing! Could this settling high pressure be the cusp of something quite fantastic for the coming summer months, maybe a proper flaming June! :)
  • Like 2

Posted

Sorry Frosty , although I am a fan of your comments , especially in Winter , all I am seeing is the same thing that has happened with Cold shots all winter , it is getting more and more Watered down , and High pressure is moving in from the West. Only good thing I can see is that another Cold spell that could rapidly end up being another Warm and Sunny spell , which at this time of year is good, The 6z is starting to look much more like ECM in the reliable . 

Going back to this , As I think what the Models have done is what I spotted on Friday . Them uppers are really building to our South now and any Southerly flow will draw them closer .I am leaning towards a Warm start to May now , let's just hope some Warmer weather get's here in time for the bank holiday .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well we have the UKMO and ECM both still bringing the colder uppers in on Friday

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS less cold than those two. But the UKMO is obviously our own model, built for our island and i know a lot of posters on here always want it on board. METO and BBC still going for a cooler spell too.

Bank holiday Monday still looking real nice on ECM tonight. High pressure over us and the uppers getting warmer, so it could be a lovely day!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 2

Posted

A great run from the ECM tonight with high pressure becoming dominant into the weekend and beyond. It looks like it could also become warmer after Monday with some warmer upper air temperatures moving in. If the run were to come off we could see temperatures quite widely over 20C by Tuesday and Wednesday,

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Who is going to say the gfs is wrong and the ecm right!??? :cc_confused:  I expect the gfs  backing off its ideas. cant wait for tomorrows runs, :winky:  :winky: :winky:

post-6830-0-19874500-1398713347_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-74178500-1398713392_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Stunning ECM ensembles, showing heights parked over the UK for the bank holiday before slowly drifting to sit over Central/Northern Europe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Could we see our first proper "Summerlike" spell next week? ECM says yes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Evening folks away at the moment so much later checking the charts have to say I'm very impressed by ECM and its ensemble run once the high gets in later this week its here for the forseeable as things stand tonight though it does still look like a cooler blip will herald a change to this settled weather with tempeaures slowly recovering

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

GFS 12z temps for BH Monday looking very respectable for England and wales with some parts of Scotland seeing some high temps too though western scotland does look cooler

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2