Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Yo dudes and dudettes :)

been a great day weather wise, and may it long continue :)

just put the bins out and still rather mild (not moaning either) not quite window open weather but getting close.

Posted

Evening all, from North Pembrokeshire where it's stayed dry and been sporadically sunny with an insistent westerly breeze jumping into our faces. To the beautiful Mwnt, just across the border in Ceredigion, this afternoon, a bit of shelter under the cliffs and a lie down as the sun came properly out and small children put us to shame by running into the sea in t-shirts and shorts - you can tell it's a local's beach by the lack of English accents, wetsuits and pop up sun shield tents and factor 400, and by the number of rugby balls being chucked about. 

We were on Poppit Sands this morning, back (just) in Pembrokeshire, a beautiful wide estuary beach with a huge tidal range, a new lifeboat station, an old station up the coast, and an island that only reveals itself as an island when you have walked almost as far west as is possible to walk.  The edges of the shore where the river outs and ins are shifting footings, some moments soft and comforting, then hard baked sand rivulets that bruise the foot, then soft, too soft, calling limbs down into waterlogged depth where at some point, who knows where, it won't be funny any more.

There were sticks, more than that, branches and in some cases whole tree trunks, across the sand, some new, recently eased from their decades and surprised to end up there, others, older, wondering where and how they would come to rest and at the last subsiding to the storms and flow of the upstream, giving way and easing themselves into the flow to go where it goes, always west and then beaching near the lifeboat station where rescue starts.  Some of the branches, on a vivid bright early Spring day, were bleach white blasted smooth by sand and that way the sun has of burnishing wood and leaving it devoid of colour but full of depth and soft to the touch, fingers running along, down, into the past.

Tomorrow we paint the back door, just a door, was in a bad state, some people want to give this place up, sell up, share the money around, it's not worth much between so many, not worth much money anyway, but the more we put in the more, not money, we will get out.

And that was the point I was trying to make, coming back, hello again to Tams, Tom and Snowlady, really glad to see you again.

AS 

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Out of interest, what site do people feel is good for long range forecasts (say 2-3 weeks ahead) for the US?

Posted

hi lauren

not sure anything is reliable at that range

cannot think of anyone anyway

---------------------------------------------------

thursday

Posted Image

a weak north west flow

rainfall looks possible late pm but only patchy

temps

Posted Image

around 16-17 degrees

--------------------------------------------------------------------

friday

Posted Image

a weak easterly flow

looks dry

temps

Posted Image

12-14 degrees

tampered due to cloudcover

ukmo at 144

bottom right

Posted Image

a weak east-south east flow

temps to early to say

should be dry

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

Good evening all. It's great to see some regulars back posting. Posted Image

The standard of photo's posted in this thread is amazing, and thank you all for sharing them. Have a good week folks.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

If it wasn't for university work, I'd be posting more regularly. :(

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/services/ensemble-forecast.html?eps=london

no great heat and at times chilly

looks fairly dry with only light to breezy winds

follow the mean at present as a temp difference on the 18th (the yellow line)

i am off now

goodnight all Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Total Lunar Eclipse 2014

Sky gazers are in for a rare celestial treat - the first total lunar eclipse of 2014, which will occur overnight on 14-15 April.
The phenomenon occurs when the Earth, Sun and moon are in perfect alignment, covering the moon from view in the Earth's shadow.

Who Gets to See it?
The total lunar eclipse will be easily visible throughout the North and South American continents and much of the Pacific Basin, including Hawaii. However, Europe, Africa, and central Asia will miss the entire eclipse because it will be daytime in those regions at the time of the event.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted

Morning all, hope everyone is well, it was nice to see some more posters yesterday, great seeing all the photos. Had a busy old day weekend, mostly family stuff, managed to see all the kids and grand kids all in one weekend, next weekend seeing them all in one day as we have a family get together on Sunday, with and Easter egg hunt. Been in the wars a bit this weekend, hurt my shoulder playing with one of the grandkids on Saturday, forgot momentarily about not lifting funny how heavy a two year old is! Think the way to describe the pain was ouch x 100, nanny wasn't to impressed either, called me a silly old grandad. Then Sunday morning woke up with a throbbing left knee, got no idea how that occurred, but my little 3 year old granddaughter manage to hit ever time she went near it. I don't mind getting old, well to be honest you can't do anything about it, but gradual deterioration of my body is getting me down, and the comments from my kids don't help either, I'm now known as delicate granddad, that hurts.

Beautiful morning again, 100% blue sky! although its seems very breezy out. Off to Peterborough office today, so a breakfast meeting in the little chef was hastily arranged over the weekend, short week this week with Easter, so for most a nice long weekend, but I do feel sorry for those who work in retail, why we can't shut the shops for a day a two over Easter and Christmas, I got no idea, surely it not that vital that shops have to be opened up all 4 days of Easters, can't it be arranged that at least one day could be put aside for religion and rest!

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Bright cloudless morning again, I had little to no sleep last night so feeling even worse than I normally would getting up at 5am on a Monday morning, at least the weather's doing it's best to keep my spirits up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Blue skies here. When driving earlier today, I noticed one of the local woods has a haze of bluebells appearing. Another week and they'll look pretty stunning. 

Hopefully a nice week of weather coming up. From Sunday onwards, it looks like shallow low pressure might be in the vicinity, so maybe a showery breakdown. :unsure: A long way off though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, sunny skies here this morning. Here's to a good week Posted Image

Posted

Morning all

Bright and sunny day here, feeling a tad nippy but warming up in the sunshine, and it is dry again.

Sorting out the rest of the washing after doing the ironing part of it all last night.

If you can, make the most of this great day (I plan to nip in and out for the next few hours and sort the ever growing bush and ivy in the back garden)

Have a good day all :)

Posted

Afternoon - great to see the regulars back :good: Fabulous day although don't let the spring warmth catch you out, tonight there may be a patchy frost in rural locations, so gardeners be vigilant. Chilly night incoming.

post-19153-0-29573300-1397475665_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

What's with this unforecasted naff north sea wind?

Brrr

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon - great to see the regulars back Posted Image Fabulous day although don't let the spring warmth catch you out, tonight there may be a patchy frost in rural locations, so gardeners be vigilant. Chilly night incoming.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Where I am is deemed rural so may be some ice action in the morning here.

Fantastic day now though, been out and sorted the car and given it a basic service, swept the yard (first broom the handle broke mind) and took a wander into town for a few items of purchase I wanted (rather than needed, but hey it is a nice day and the park was kinda along the way).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Quote: "Tatsfield, at 240 metres is one of the highest parts of the North Downs and Wednesday was a good sunny day to have a look around on route to other destinations. Here is the village green and little pond."

Posted Image

Here is another lovely photo of Tatsfield village green (white) and pond, in the snows of 2005. Great up there for a snow chase, lying on the southern extent of Thames snow streamer land, as it does, that is of course if the roads are not blocked and you can reach there!

Posted Image

Tams mentions that Tatsfield (Extreme NE corner of Surrey) stands at around 240 metres but the highest point in Surrey, of course Posted Image, is Leith Hill at 295 metres. Always thought that Leith Hill was the highest point in SE England but that title goes to Walbury Hill, in Berkshire, at a mere 2 metres more.

Thought the link below, of the highest point in each county of England and Wales, may be of some interest.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_of_England_and_Wales_in_1964_by_highest_point

Think the Snow Cup should be awarded to the entrant with the greatest altitude, as a way of finally putting it to bed! If all entrants could give Chris and myself, their postcodes please, we can finally resolve this years farce of a competition. I'll start then, mine's SE1 9SG. Beat that! Posted Image Posted Image 

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 6

Posted

Quote: "Hi Tom, the only thing I could beat are a few moles or earthworms at my sad 5m ASLPosted Image

Been another lovely sunny day although temp. struggling slightly at just under 15C with the north west wind.

Don't have to walk too far to find high ground, these pictures were taken today at a spot just west of Shorne Village at around 60m asl and only 2.5 miles from my house down on the marsh"

Ah Ian but what you lose with height, you surely gain with your easterly location, Thames streamer wise. I know they dont occur too often but when they do, you must see shower after shower, with not many breaks between?

Btw Ian, lovely photos again. Posted Image

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 1

Posted

Just for you Ian, only about 6 or 7 miles from Bromley town centre but on marginal snow days, may as well be 600/700 miles away, Biggin Hill of course. Went on a snow chase there, in the mid 90s, when all we had in Bromley was a bit of sleet and cold rain but up at Biggin Hill they had over 4 inches of snow.

Nothing marginal about the snow in this video though, from the 2nd Dec.2010. Look out for the drifts against the perimeter fence of Biggin Hill airport at about 3 mins 20 secs, I know there's been some ploughing but you can see the drifts behind the ploughed snow, amazing.

Tom.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Afternoon, really nice day here, pleasant with lots of sunshine.

With the Easter weekend coming up, we have slight variances in the models. The UKMO looks pretty good though eastern coasts could be prone to cloud. GFS on the other hand sends low pressure on a magical mystery tour which brings rain for every single day of the Easter weekend. Lets hope it's got it wrong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

GFS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

hi all

hope your well

heres my prediction for the 21st

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

sticking to the fax charts now re easter

too much variation at present

• Like 4

Posted

hi again

tonight

dry and chilly with a chance of some localised frost

also watch for mist and possible fog patches too

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

a very weak flow

east-north east

more cloud likely today and especially east of our region

rain = none

temps

Posted Image

a shade down today

10-11 east coastal

11-13 elsewhere  locally maybe a 14 if you see a lot of the sun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a weak south east flow

rain = none

temps

Posted Image

cold and frost risk increases

also mist a fog higher towards the east which will reduce the frost risk

------------------------------------------------------------------

wednesday

Posted Image

a weak south east flow

rain = none

temps

Posted Image

12-13 degrees coastal regions

14-15 elsewhere

again locally may be a shade higher if you see prolonged sunny spells

---------------------------------------------------------------

wednesday night

Posted Image

a weak south-south east flow

rain = none

temps

Posted Image

more cloud likely tonight so frost unlikely

-----------------------------------------------------------

thursday

Posted Image

a north west cooler flow and will be a shade breezy

better though as cloud less likely

rainfall

Posted Image

should stay dry most of the day but showers will be enroute for later in the day

temps

Posted Image

around 11-14 degrees and will feel a shade chilly in the wind

but pleasant in the sun

overall still not too bad Posted Image

back later with the rest

johnPosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hi all long time no posting. We'll feels like it lol. Hope everyone ok, weather has been quite remarkable lately, can't grumble although the good old bank holiday rain looks on the cards . Still going good JP :). Work and doing house up taking my time up at the moment. Lots to do still. Will try harder to get on more before next winter arrives. Speak soon .

Jason

• Like 4