Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

The fog seems to be ever-thickening this morning; as I look across campus very little is visible after what I thought was a bright foggy start in Surbiton at 7am. Husband left Surbiton at 6am in fog with car showing 10 degrees; by the time he got to Bournemouth at 7.30am the car temp showed 5 degrees and he was very unhappy in what he described as 'grey miserable' fog which has stuck with him all journey. I notice Heathrow has one runway shut due to fog, which surprised me as I am sure I have driven through worse around there.

Wow, have a wonderful time there RS. If you get the chance take one of the the helicopter rides across or around the Island and also visit the the volcanic springs at Soufriere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulphur_Springs,_Saint_Lucia

Le Pitons are spectacular as well.  It's a fabulous island and the people are so friendly.

Back on track and in the real world it's still a mild and somewhat muggy 15.6 here with practiaclly no sunshine all day.

Thank you so much BB, we will definitely look into your suggestions and I am glad to hear such a positive report. We are so excited but I am a little worried that JP's report notes the possibility of overnight fog into Thursday morning; don't want Gatwick following Heathrow's lead with runway closure.

Even though Miguel reports a torrential storm in Egham last night, I didn't notice anything a few miles east in Surbiton. Sorry to hear about your tree Keraunophile, a bit shocking, literally. Has anyone notice how beautiful the evenings smell at the moment outdoors? When we take the dog for his evening walk, it is quite overwhelming from garden to garden how the blossoms are very seriously blooming and the air is heavily scented in the warm evening atmosphere. Lovely.

Have a a nice day everyone, here's hoping the fog lifts to beautiful clear skies and sunshine.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

We didn't really have a storm....I wish. I would've been reporting it at the time if we had. :D My attempt at April Fool. :)

Hope you all have a lovely day. Now off to pick me ready-cooked spaghetti. Lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Hazy here - could be fog or maybe lunar dust ?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news%3Bstoryid%3D5785%3Bsess%3D#.Uzp1NU5lRdg.facebook

Closer to home we find out today if MK is getting a rugbyabout ....

post-10773-0-25836200-1396347104_thumb.j

Milton Keynes Council is planning to transform the well known Roman roundabout on the V7 into the shape of a rugby ball, creating a brand new ‘rugbyabout’ in celebration of 18 months to go until Rugby World Cup 2015 comes to the borough.

MK is one of 13 Match Venues for Rugby World Cup 2015 following a joint bid made by Milton Keynes Council, MK Dons and other city partners. Three matches will take place at stadiummk, close to the proposed rugbyabout, in October 2015.

If approved at a special council meeting today the work to transform the rugbyabout would take place from October 2014, lasting approximately 13 weeks during which time traffic would be redirected via local roads and the A5.

There are more than 50 major roundabouts in Milton Keynes, the vast majority of which follow the traditional circular shape. It is thought the V7 rugbyabout would be the first full rugby ball shape roundabout to be built in the UK.

The council is also considering new planting options for the centre of the rugbyabout, potentially including rugby posts, a life size model of England rugby hero Jonny Wilkinson, and flower stock in the colours of the England, Scotland, Wales and Irish teams.

Leader of Milton Keynes Council, Cllr Andrew Geary said: “We converted this junction a couple of years ago, and these have made a big improvement, but with Rugby World Cup 2015 coming we recognise the need to make a few more changes, and once again we are trying an innovative and exciting design which I am told by the highway engineers will ensure traffic can tackle this junction without the sort of collisions we are expecting on the rugby pitch.â€

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted

'CONDENSATION CULTURE?'

BBC Weather Forecasts to carry Legal Disclaimer

As a publicly funded body the Met Office, whose forecasts have come under increasing scrutiny following the 'BBQ Summer' fiasco of 2012, are insisting that they will only continue to provide forecasts for public broadcast on the Beeb if the Corporation displays a legal 'get out' on screen and that the forecaster makes an approved statement so that this is accessible to the visually impaired as well. Worried about the threat of increasing litigation and of perhaps being sued by a disgruntled bride that has seen her big day washed out, or a family that organised a picnic based on a forecast, only to see their sausage rolls soaked, the Met Office has made this demand and the BBC, amazingly, seem set to comply.

A Met Office spokesperson said: 'We don't mind people using our forecasts when planning their events, but it's important that we don't get dragged through the courts in expensive battles, so we think the disclaimer will allow us to conserve vital funds for things like research into climate change and updating our website'. When pressed as to what the disclaimer would say, the spokesperson was vague saying only that it would be along the lines of 'forecasts are for guidance only and the Met Office and the BBC take no responsibility for any errors whether deliberate or otherwise'.

www.metoffice.org/uk/legal

Crazy!

AS

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all (just :unsure:)

A pleasant warm and sunny day here. Lovely!

• Like 1

Posted

'CONDENSATION CULTURE?'BBC Weather Forecasts to carry Legal DisclaimerAs a publicly funded body the Met Office, whose forecasts have come under increasing scrutiny following the 'BBQ Summer' fiasco of 2012, are insisting that they will only continue to provide forecasts for public broadcast on the Beeb if the Corporation displays a legal 'get out' on screen and that the forecaster makes an approved statement so that this is accessible to the visually impaired as well. Worried about the threat of increasing litigation and of perhaps being sued by a disgruntled bride that has seen her big day washed out, or a family that organised a picnic based on a forecast, only to see their sausage rolls soaked, the Met Office has made this demand and the BBC, amazingly, seem set to comply.A Met Office spokesperson said: 'We don't mind people using our forecasts when planning their events, but it's important that we don't get dragged through the courts in expensive battles, so we think the disclaimer will allow us to conserve vital funds for things like research into climate change and updating our website'. When pressed as to what the disclaimer would say, the spokesperson was vague saying only that it would be along the lines of 'forecasts are for guidance only an d the Met Office and the BBC take no responsibility for any errors whether deliberate or otherwise'.www.metoffice.org/uk/legalCrazy!AS

Hmmmmm! Makes interesting reading over a plate of my home grown and naturally cooked, nitrogen rich spaghetti. :D
  • Like 3

Posted

Wow its warm out there, absolutely no wind and clouds have decreased throughout the day to leave us with full on sunshine. So pretty much the opposite of most of the winter. Posted Image Does anyone know the highest temperature in the South-East at the moment? Its got to be approaching 21/22 degrees. 

• Like 1

Posted

Phew, wot a scorcher ! Well, 18.4c anyway, just 0.2c off the high (Sunday) for the year. Sunny since the get-go with the early morning mist rising quickly off the fields and hills. Very pleasant. Got a second trip to the dentist's this afternoon. Lovely - haven't been for years so need the usual descaling and the like from Frau Mengele, though I got the all clear from the dentist herself last week.

A think a beer garden may beckon on the way home.

• Like 2

Posted

Some big clouds building up to the West here. But it is very warm albeit a tad hazy atm.

Just found an interesting item in the garden. A heavy, pottery egg with a map of the world on it. Probably worf a fortune....:D Or....its a treasure map. :O

Posted

Good afternoon one and all.Posted Image Some chuckle worthy April Fools posts in the thread this morning I'm pleased to say !!

Wow its warm out there, absolutely no wind and clouds have decreased throughout the day to leave us with full on sunshine. So pretty much the opposite of most of the winter. Posted ImageDoes anyone know the highest temperature in the South-East at the moment? Its got to be approaching 21/22 degrees. 

Today has been a slow starter in these parts but having just spent an hour outside chatting with a neighbour the heat of the sun was noticeable. It certainly felt a lot warmer than the 14.3c nearby Northolt is reporting. Warmest spot so far in the South East is Charlwood at 19.9c and Gatwick at 19c.

It's a lovely afternoon for sure.

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

After a damp and foggy start here the sun slowly (and it was slow) bit through the gloom,  nice mid teen temps and bright but hazy cloud now.

A few things planned for this evening just as long as I feel less tired and unwell later, else it will be a curled up sofa special for me.

Have a good day all :)

Posted

Good afternoon one and all.Posted Image Some chuckle worthy April Fools posts in the thread this morning I'm pleased to say !!

Today has been a slow starter in these parts but having just spent an hour outside chatting with a neighbour the heat of the sun was noticeable. It certainly felt a lot warmer than the 14.3c nearby Northolt is reporting. Warmest spot so far in the South East is Charlwood at 19.9c and Gatwick at 19c.

It's a lovely afternoon for sure.

It certainly did feel a lot warmer then 14 or 15, my weather station is broken but im guessing temps grew to at least 17 or 18 after a couple of hours of sustained sun during this afternoon. 

Posted

It certainly did feel a lot warmer then 14 or 15, my weather station is broken but im guessing temps grew to at least 17 or 18 after a couple of hours of sustained sun during this afternoon. 

Indeed, managed to find 17oC here so far today, none too shabby for the time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Still sunny here, although hazy. :)

Posted

nice if you can get it, and long may it continue, much liking this warm dry weather, liking it a lot in fact.

• Like 1

Posted

From -15oC and blizzard yesterday to +20.5oC today and lots of green in North Kent. Quite the contrast and very nice on the north downs walking in the sunshine.

post-4391-0-16313000-1396368468_thumb.jp

Edited by canadiancoops
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

From -15oC and blizzard yesterday to +20.5oC today and lots of green in North Kent. Quite the contrast and very nice on the north downs walking in the sunshine.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

That looks amazing coops, got 19.5c in London.

Posted

nice if you can get it, and long may it continue, much liking this warm dry weather, liking it a lot in fact.

Agree 100% with that Jax.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Gorgeous day here, no winds, plenty of sunshine and highs into the high teens. Just some fair weather cloud which bubbled up during the middle of the day. Looks like we have a couple more days before the weather starts to slide towards something more typical for the time of year.

Posted

That looks amazing coops, got 19.5c in London.

I'm in London tomorrow, hoping for more nice weather. It was rather pleasant in a light breeze.

Posted

Afternoon all, welcome back cc to our lovely green patch down in the SE :good:

and a happy April fools It is startling how popular it is, I really cannot be bothered with it. The times I've been let down, flying penguins just to name the few. Quite a nice day in SE London - neither hot or cold my preference.

It has failed to reach 20c in IMBY, tomorrow is expected to be warmest day, I reckon we'll surpass 20c :D:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Afternoon all, welcome back cc to our lovely green patch down in the SE Posted Image

and a happy April fools It is startling how popular it is, I really cannot be bothered with it. The times I've been let down, flying penguins just to name the few. Quite a nice day in SE London - neither hot or cold my preference.

It has failed to reach 20c in IMBY, tomorrow is expected to be warmest day, I reckon we'll surpass 20c Posted Image:)

I just failed to hit 20c too, 19.5C north of the river.