Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 01/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Lovely here in the Cotswolds (apart from the lack of phone signal and no wi FI) we certainly can't fault the weather - seen some signs of flooding, sandbags and flood warning signs still in place but hopefully things will get back to normal for the main tourist season - feeling very relaxed and lucky to have been out in the fresh air and sunshine all day with Mr P visiting such pretty places :-)

• Like 2

Well what a beautiful day it has been!Posted Image  I've been doing some gardening work - outdoors in the garden itself and also tending to my indoor tropical garden in the conservatory

Posted Image081.JPG

The garden shrubs and the palms have not stopped growing all winter with the above average temperatures. Despite the storms and incessant rain, the palms have suffered the least damage of any of the garden plants with their large, thick, glossy, fan-like fronds

Posted Image082.JPG

After this, I went and bought some shopping, and stopped briefly at the Fairlight Firehills. The shadows were lengthening as the sun went down behind me over the fields and out to sea

Posted Image078.JPG

Talking of shadows, here is my very own Shadow watching me as I pottered around the conservatory this afternoonPosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image085.JPG  Posted Image087.JPG

I've got some more animal pics to come fairly soon from the New Forest taken on my visit there yesterday of the lovely ponies in Minstead, but these are still on my friends phone and she is going to e-mail them to mePosted Image

In terms of the weather model output, the mid latitude ridges from the atlantic, across us, and into Europe I spoke about the other day are set to become well established and stay over our region throughout the coming week. The only fly in the ointment is a very weak trough which looks to be strangled by the High pressure belt overnight Monday and into Tuesday but will produce some cloud and a little drizzle for a while before the sun breaks out again by pm on Tuesday. I am sure john p will provide more detail with his widely appreciated summaries in due course and surface analysis of the fax charts etcPosted Image

By Friday we still have High pressure in charge for our region as depicted by the latest updated UKMO chart

Posted Image

The other day it was mentioned about movement of the polar vortex transporting energy from Canada, where it has been for weeks and weeks and weeks, across the North pole into Siberia during the further outlook period. As suggested might be the case, this trend has continued to be advertised and eventually is likely to start to try and pull the jet stream back southwards again. On that UKMO chart above (at day 6) we can see how much of the bulk of the vortex is modelled to have moved across the pole.

From day 10 the suggestion from the ECM ensembles (this morning) supports the vortex into Siberia and hints of a cooler and more mobile airstream with winds origininating from a slightly more northerly latitude by this time

Posted Image

At this stage the pattern is still fairly flat with the Azores High, but as suggested previously we should watch for greater amplification coming into the atlantic pattern in the much longer range that could give a colder last third of March. I do think that the chances of this are increasing - but the changes will happen further north and take some time to come this far south. It remains a long way off anyway at this time with a lot of fine and dry weather to come for outdoor pursuits.

This week is going to provide a dramatic contrast to exactly one year back and the amazing powder snowstorm IMBY on the 11/12 March. I will restrain myself and not put up any more pictures of this event.Posted Image In terms of weather enjoyment that is going to prove very hard to beat for me, taking into account the time of year - but surely the pleasant sunshine and quiet conditions of the coming week is going to be a very acceptable second best - especially within the context of the appallling conditions of the last 3 months.

I think we all thoroughly deserve this very welcome changePosted Image

Excellent post Tamara & equally good photo's to boot. Can only hope this fine weather extends further north throughout next week & beyond.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oh, I really, really hope not! It's so beautifully spring-like atm, I've packed all the winter coats and jumpers away... Come next October I will be as keen as anyone to see snow but what I want now (and what we all need) are SUNSHINE and WARMTH!

Can't remember which winter it was, but I did that. Out they all came again a week later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Can't remember which winter it was, but I did that. Out they all came again a week later.

From weather web tv by simon keeling

I've been highlighting for the past few weeks the fact that the dry weather we are about the experience, and the milder temperatures, were likely to hang around for 8 to 10 days.This mornings model runs build on that idea, with the ECMWF, GFS and Canadian all going for a change in conditions around 18th.The GFS and Canadian GEM models are most bullish on this idea, turning things much colder as a north to northwest wind sets in. This could bring a brief return to winter over northern hills with snow showers, and there could be some snow showers at lower levels too.Temperatures would fall and it would likely be windy.It is still a way off but the thoughts are there. If you need dry weather to egg things done, no is the time to do it and then get ready for a change after 18th.I suspect it won't be a dramatic cold snap, but after the mild spring weather of the coming days it may well be a shock to the system.

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Hi Leigh, Harry Ramsdens is the best place on the seafront, near the Palace Pier, fair prices for the quality. Or there is a fish and chip shop under the arches down the stairs to the left of the pier, though not as good quality/quantity, but okay if you just want a quick supper on the beach. Or if you decide against fish and chips, I would go to Bill's a unique little place to eat about 10 minute walk from the front, just past the Pavillion. If you are coming by car, you could travel along to the Marina, they have a selection of restaurants including a fish restaurant with nice views and free parking. Links below enjoy your day :-)http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/england/brighton & http://bills-website.co.uk/restaurants/brighton/ & http://www.brightonmarina.co.uk/eat-and-drink/the-brasserie-fish-grill.aspx

brilliant. Thanks for the info. Cracking day here today. Had a busy morning, taking my children to their cousins bday party then had a house viewing. Then we went to the park on bikes and scooters. Felt great sitting there with a lolly, watching my boys have fun and soaking up some much needed vitimin D.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Hi Tams, loving your garden both inside and out! As you say, what a contrast to this time last year! Going to make the most of the next week of weather and get out and about if I can and attend to the puppy damage in my garden, they do like to dig and chew!

Have a nice evening!

IanPosted Image

Hi Ian - thanks! I think you get a bigger award for photography than me. Some of your recent sunrise pics etc have been amazing colours! Shadow doesn't chew things he shouldn't chew, but he does like to take his food out of his bowl and eat it on the floor insteadPosted Image

Seems that there is a "migration/merger" from both the Midlands and North West into our region atm. I wonder why that can be?Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks Leigh - it was fun designing it!Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Well what a beautiful day it has been!Posted Image  I've been doing some gardening work - outdoors in the garden itself and also tending to my indoor tropical garden in the conservatory

Posted Image081.JPG

The garden shrubs and the palms have not stopped growing all winter with the above average temperatures. Despite the storms and incessant rain, the palms have suffered the least damage of any of the garden plants with their large, thick, glossy, fan-like fronds

Posted Image082.JPG

After this, I went and bought some shopping, and stopped briefly at the Fairlight Firehills. The shadows were lengthening as the sun went down behind me over the fields and out to sea

Posted Image078.JPG

Talking of shadows, here is my very own Shadow watching me as I pottered around the conservatory this afternoonPosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image085.JPG  Posted Image087.JPG

I've got some more animal pics to come fairly soon from the New Forest taken on my visit there yesterday of the lovely ponies in Minstead, but these are still on my friends phone and she is going to e-mail them to mePosted Image

In terms of the weather model output, the mid latitude ridges from the atlantic, across us, and into Europe I spoke about the other day are set to become well established and stay over our region throughout the coming week. The only fly in the ointment is a very weak trough which looks to be strangled by the High pressure belt overnight Monday and into Tuesday but will produce some cloud and a little drizzle for a while before the sun breaks out again by pm on Tuesday. I am sure john p will provide more detail with his widely appreciated summaries in due course and surface analysis of the fax charts etcPosted Image

By Friday we still have High pressure in charge for our region as depicted by the latest updated UKMO chart

Posted Image

The other day it was mentioned about movement of the polar vortex transporting energy from Canada, where it has been for weeks and weeks and weeks, across the North pole into Siberia during the further outlook period. As suggested might be the case, this trend has continued to be advertised and eventually is likely to start to try and pull the jet stream back southwards again. On that UKMO chart above (at day 6) we can see how much of the bulk of the vortex is modelled to have moved across the pole.

From day 10 the suggestion from the ECM ensembles (this morning) supports the vortex into Siberia and hints of a cooler and more mobile airstream with winds origininating from a slightly more northerly latitude by this time

Posted Image

At this stage the pattern is still fairly flat with the Azores High, but as suggested previously we should watch for greater amplification coming into the atlantic pattern in the much longer range that could give a colder last third of March. I do think that the chances of this are increasing - but the changes will happen further north and take some time to come this far south. It remains a long way off anyway at this time with a lot of fine and dry weather to come for outdoor pursuits.

This week is going to provide a dramatic contrast to exactly one year back and the amazing powder snowstorm IMBY on the 11/12 March. I will restrain myself and not put up any more pictures of this event.Posted Image In terms of weather enjoyment that is going to prove very hard to beat for me, taking into account the time of year - but surely the pleasant sunshine and quiet conditions of the coming week is going to be a very acceptable second best - especially within the context of the appallling conditions of the last 3 months.

I think we all thoroughly deserve this very welcome changePosted Image

Cracking post and pictures Tamara. Mrs LeighD and I are very impressed with you indoor garden.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Super day here!   I just love the smell of freshly cut grass.......

• Like 3

Posted

Super day here!   I just love the smell of freshly cut grass.......

My lawn is still like surrey's..........damp, need a few more days of this weather before i can cut mine.

Hi Ian - thanks! I think you get a bigger award for photography than me. Some of your recent sunrise pics etc have been amazing colours! Shadow doesn't chew things he shouldn't chew, but he does like to take his food out of his bowl and eat it on the floor insteadPosted Image

Seems that there is a "migration/merger" from both the Midlands and North West into our region atm. I wonder why that can be?Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks Leigh - it was fun designing it!Posted Image

I have many friends on the South East thread Tamara including yourself (hopefully). I find your posts highly informative & useful. 

• Like 1

Posted

hi all

been at work all day Posted Image

and tomorrowPosted Image

heres the gfs ensembles

Posted Image

that drop is still there

however a BIG spread on the 15th

so not all certain what happens after yet

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=0

gfs op certainly a cold one for sure

however

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=0&type=0&archive=0

ecm has other ideas Posted ImagePosted Image #

back later with the fax charts

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely day in the garden out of the South easterly wind. Felt cool when the sun started to go down though!

'ning all :)

yep just got in from dog walk and can confirm it is officially chilly :D

diurnal drop in temp after a mild day makes it feel cooler than the current 10C here. hoping tomorrow is as forecast, need lots of vitamin D :D

Posted

just doing tomorrow for now

Posted Image

a weak southerly flow

rain

Posted Image

nil

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

after early morning misty murk clears

we should see temps around 16-18 degrees

around the kent area if you avoid too much cloud

you may hit the 20 mark

be back later with the rest Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

j

... snip ...

be back later with the rest Posted Image

:doh: that means more scrolling John :p :lol:

thanks mate, its good knowing you can give a decent view on the coming days :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

lovely Day here, still registering 12 c outside! @Tamara, wonderful garden you have there, looks really established. And Ian, fantastic photographs! Spent the afternoon installing my new growing area, an 18ft x 7.5 ft poly tunnel, the mini-beasts are not destroying my brassicas again :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

is brassicas a substitued word by the swear filter? :lol:

Could work well as a 'blasphemous word' I suppose. Example: What the Brassica are you on about :-). But no, I meant these

post-18906-0-32718400-1394310620_thumb.j

Posted

is brassicas a substitued word by the swear filter? Posted Image

Brassica (/ˈbræsɨkə/) is a genus of plants in the mustard family (Brassicaceae). The members of the genus are informally known as cruciferous vegetables, cabbages, or mustard plant. Crops from this genus are sometimes called cole crops—derived from the Latin caulis, meaning stem or cabbage.[1]

Members of brassica commonly used for food include cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and some seeds. The genus is known for its important agricultural and horticultural crops and includes a number of weeds, both of wild taxa and escapees from cultivation. It counts over 30 wild species and hybrids plus numerous cultivars and hybrids of cultivated origin. Most are seasonal plants (annuals or biennials), but some are small shrubs. Brassica plants have been the subject of much scientific interest for their agricultural importance. Six particularly species (B. carinata, B. juncea, B. oleracea, B. napus, B. nigra and B. rapa) evolved by the combining of chromosomes from three earlier species, as described by the Triangle of U theory.

The genus is native in the wild in western Europe, the Mediterranean and temperate regions of Asia and many wild species grow as weeds, especially in North America, South America, and Australia.

A dislike for cabbage or broccoli can result from the fact that these plants contain a compound similar to phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), which is bitter or tasteless to some people depending on their 'taste buds'.[2]

Is this too much information MAF   10.4c still in the capital

• Like 1

Posted

Could work well as a 'blasphemous word' I suppose. Example: What the Brassica are you on about :-). But no, I meant these

so carrying on the blasphemy vein of thought. perhaps i will start using OMB instead of OMG :lol:

11C here now. dropping in temp becoming rapid. clear and still out now :)

• Like 1

Posted

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a very weak north westerly flow

rain

Posted Image

none

temps

Posted Image

around 6-8 degrees

watch for possible fog overnight

moreso west of our region

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday

Posted Image

a very weak north easterly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

none

temps

Posted Image

around 13 degrees

however it looks cloudy for a bulk of the morning and may persist to the east-north east of the region all day

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday night

Posted Image

a very weak north east flow

dry again

temps

Posted Image

feeling chilly

temps colder 4-6 degrees

however watch again for fog and probably more widespread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday

Posted Image

a more noticeable easterly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

none

temps

Posted Image

around 12-14 degrees

feeling a tad chilly in the wind

that dieing front and easterly flow looks like a lot of cloud with the odd sunny spells

thats it for now

be back later

john Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I hope GOD gives us a decent Summer this year, were due one. 

We've only just had one...Posted Image 

• Like 3