Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 22/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Evening all. Posted Image

A lovely day here too, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have, due to not feeling too great - maybe it was beer yesterday evening, but I really don't think I had enough to cause the feeling of lethargy today?

I see I might have missed a couple of dodgy posts on here today - probably a good thing, as sometimes I can 'bite' if I think a post is annoying or offensive.

I'm off to Lanzarote tomorrow afternoon, so should see plenty of sun during the next week. I'm not excited at the moment, as I really don't like the rigmarole of going through airports and flying - a necessary evil to me of foreign holidays that have a reasonable flight duration. I'll be excited when I'm through the passport control of the destination airport. Posted Image

Hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch next week, but if I'm very quiet, it'll likely be due to the lack of Wi-Fi. 

Have a relaxing Sunday everyone. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I'm off to Lanzarote tomorrow afternoon, so should see plenty of sun during the next week. I'm not excited at the moment, as I really don't like the rigmarole of going through airports and flying - a necessary evil to me of foreign holidays that have a reasonable flight duration. I'll be excited when I'm through the passport control of the destination airport. Posted Image

Hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch next week, but if I'm very quiet, it'll likely be due to the lack of Wi-Fi. 

Have a wonderful time Steve, I hope you manage to visit some of the places I sent you links to .....I'm so green with envy, I hope to be back there again with Mr P later in the year though - maybe we should have the 2014 regional meet up on the island? Posted Image

Good luck with the wi-fi or as they call it over there 'wee-fee'  Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wasn't there an earth quake this week in the bristol channel?Posted Image

The Bristol Channel floods, which occurred on 30 January 1607, resulted in the drowning of a large number of people and the destruction of a large amount of farmland and livestock. Recent research has suggested that the cause may have been a tsunami.

The cause of the flood remains disputed, insofar as contemporary explanations blamed God. Subsequent scientific explanations ignored much of the written evidence and blamed bad weather, until recent research suggested a tsunami. Traditionally it had been believed that the floods were caused by a storm surge, a combination of meteorological extremes and a high tide.

Written evidence from the time describes events that were similar to those that unfolded in the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, including the sea receding before the wave arrived, a wave of water that rushed in faster than men could run, sparks coming off the top of the wave, and a crowd of people who stood and watched the wave coming towards them until it was too late to run.

There have been 10 earthquakes in the last 50 days - which is quite a low incidence, usually there are @ 15-20 of them. As the Richter Scale is a logarithmic one., a 4 magnitude quake is minor compared to a 6 or 7 which is when damage would occur. People only detect them over Mag 3.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/home.html

A few years ago there was one in or near Suffolk, because we live in a timber-frame house, my husband upstairs noticed it, but I was in the kitchen and didn't feel a thing - we looked it up and apparently it was a 2.8.

We''re not on the edge of a tectonic plate so it's just rocks undergoing natural settlement sometimes quite near the surface or thousands of metres below ground

Don't PANIC!.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Have a wonderful time Steve, I hope you manage to visit some of the places I sent you links to .....I'm so green with envy, I hope to be back there again with Mr P later in the year though - maybe we should have the 2014 regional meet up on the island? Posted Image

Good luck with the wi-fi or as they call it over there 'wee-fee'  Posted Image

Yes, I'm working things out now. It should be good. The weather forecast is mostly sunny - I guess the Azores High being in its rightful home helps...

• Like 2

Posted

have a good holiday steve

i can go on about the earthquakes but not in here

do enough of that in the other thread

have a look at this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_the_British_Isles

its interesting

i have a full map of small plates which do run under the uk

will pop it up when i can find it

but no point in worrying about these as are rare

more concern is the flooding for now

Edited by john pike
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Hello allI have been out most of the day. Walking across chalk heathlands as the crystal white sunlight was so heavy that it pressed down on us, slowing us down, allowing us to find the heavy rubber dog ball that sank into a flooded ditch 3 weeks ago and that we unearthed today through kicking rotting leaves that were already on their way, and will be in millennia, to coal. There were people out today that looked like they had not seen the sun for months, old people smiling a wrinkled smile that great age can bring, tiny children running for ever, until they realise for ever is too long and they need their mother, people just rejoicing in being out again in the world, breathing in and then slowly exhaling as their bodies warmed and relaxed.Against all of this at the moment is my favourite (only) weather thread, when I come home from that sort of real life outdoor, uplifting and moving experience to see it struggling the way it has been recently it's hard to take. I'd really love it if we could get back to the usual banter on here, weather, life, a life in weather and a weathered life, plus the other stuff that, I suspect, keeps some of us as close to sane as we are allowed to be.Let's keep it going please.AS

You really have to write that novel...

• Like 5

Posted

have a good holiday steve i can go on about the earthquakes but not in here do enough of that in the other thread have a look at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_the_British_Isles its interesting i have a full map of small plates which do run under the uk will pop it up when i can find it but no point in worrying about these as are rare more concern is the flooding for now

A lovely day here from what I've seen out the window. Due to feeling very under the weather I didn't get to enjoy it :(With regards to the earthquake mentions..do any of you remember the 2007 Folkestone earthquake? That measured 4.3 I think and was certainly felt by everyone awake (it was around 8am on a Saturday morning) Luckily no injuries but lots of localised structural damage. Then we had another smaller one in March 2009 at 3.0..funny - never thought I'd feel one quake in my life let alone two!

Posted

Hi JP, do you think there is any link between the flooding ( i.e. weight of water) and the earthquake or is it just coincidentalPosted Image

John knows far more than I do, but my guess is that it was a concidence, given that the quake was under the Bristol Channel and 5 miles down - it's unlikely that the flooding had any effect.

I haven't looked, but there might be more links/information in the earthquakes thread in the Space, Science and Nature section.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 1

Posted

You really have to write that novel...

Thank you Kate, you're very kind and I really appreciate it; my challenges are (1) plot and (2) sustaining any writing beyond 3 paragraphs or a poem. I am still scribbling away though, throwing stuff around, so maybe one day.....Again, thank you lots (that line won't be in the book!)AS
  • Like 3

Posted

A lovely day here from what I've seen out the window. Due to feeling very under the weather I didn't get to enjoy it Posted Image

Sorry to hear that Lottie - hope you feel better soon !

At least it was nice from the inside looking out Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

John knows far more than I do, but my guess is that it was a concidence, given that the quake was under the Bristol Channel and 5 miles down - it's unlikely that the flooding had any effect.

I haven't looked, but there might be more links/information in the earthquakes thread in the Space, Science and Nature section.

hi cr

your correct

the quake being in the channel means it had nothing to do with the floods

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/20140220132017.html#page=summary

if you click the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_Ridge

Posted Image

it explains about the north mid atlantic ridge

my thoughts are a slight shift of the plate caused the quake

• Like 2

Posted

Took the children with hubby to cinema today to watch Lego the movie was fun ! Trying to keep my life as normal as possible atm as on Tuesday I am going for a small op and to be told if I have cancer or not or more tests ! I was hoping after the last 3 yrs we have had with family health issues we could move on ... Anyway today was about building memories with my family :) Chilly here tonight ( my weather input )

Hope it's good news, fingers and toes crossed! :)
  • Like 6

Posted

hi snowy

fingers crossed for you that it goes well on tuesday

still waiting the fax charts so will update when in

hi lottie

i remember a while ago my mrs upstairs felt a quake but i didnt as i was downstairs

maybe around that time too

• Like 4

Posted

Took the children with hubby to cinema today to watch Lego the movie was fun ! Trying to keep my life as normal as possible atm as on Tuesday I am going for a small op and to be told if I have cancer or not or more tests ! I was hoping after the last 3 yrs we have had with family health issues we could move on ... Anyway today was about building memories with my family Posted Image

Chilly here tonight ( my weather input )

hi SL, am sure your positive approach and everything you've been through already will stand you in good stead, huge support.....

AS

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Beautiful sunny morning, clouding over by early afternoon.  Daffoldils shining brightly in the morning sun, beneath the trees, fluttering and dancing like Wordsworth's finest . A most cheering sight after such a long period of rain, gales and that gloomy leaden light that has dragged on for months.

I recall very clearly the earthquake that was felt in Suffolk in February 2008 in the early hours of 27th February.  I was working late to meet an important deadline and my boss and I were quietly slogging away at our respective computers.  We were both exhausted and silent, except for the occasional sigh and tsk if I made an error in the desktop publishing I was using, or the occasional sweary word from him.  Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound of a tractor.  I thought it was coming from behind me and I turned to look at the window at my back.  As I turned back I clearly saw the room swaying from side to side.  My boss said "what the **** is that!"  I replied, very calmly, "an earthquake".  It felt as though it went on for a long time and I was intrigued by how intense the swaying became, all the time accompanied by a low pitched rumbling, which I now realised wasn't a nocturnal joy riding tractor at all. I remember sitting there wondering how much more the Victorian building could take before it started falling to pieces.  Am not sure if I was so tired I didn't have the foresight to get outside or in reality it happened over a much shorter timeframe than it felt.  I suspect the latter.  Naturally Badtempered Boss didn't believe me and ranted on about being disturbed (as if I had caused it...) so I was quietly (and smugly) pleased when it was on the news the next morning. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266272.stm

• Like 6

Posted

Tomasino (Kentish CZ) is your PM box full?  Or maybe, as I was going to send you a message, you have blocked potentially annoying contributors!

Cheers

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 3

Posted

Took the children with hubby to cinema today to watch Lego the movie was fun ! Trying to keep my life as normal as possible atm as on Tuesday I am going for a small op and to be told if I have cancer or not or more tests ! I was hoping after the last 3 yrs we have had with family health issues we could move on ... Anyway today was about building memories with my family Posted Image

Chilly here tonight ( my weather input )

Big ((((HUGS))) and best wishes for Tuesday - I hope it's all good news for you Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Beautiful sunny morning, clouding over by early afternoon.  Daffoldils shining brightly in the morning sun, beneath the trees, fluttering and dancing like Wordsworth's finest . A most cheering sight after such a long period of rain, gales and that gloomy leaden light that has dragged on for months.

I recall very clearly the earthquake that was felt in Suffolk in February 2008 in the early hours of 27th February.  I was working late to meet an important deadline and my boss and I were quietly slogging away at our respective computers.  We were both exhausted and silent, except for the occasional sigh and tsk if I made an error in the desktop publishing I was using, or the occasional sweary word from him.  Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound of a tractor.  I thought it was coming from behind me and I turned to look at the window at my back.  As I turned back I clearly saw the room swaying from side to side.  My boss said "what the **** is that!"  I replied, very calmly, "an earthquake".  It felt as though it went on for a long time and I was intrigued by how intense the swaying became, all the time accompanied by a low pitched rumbling, which I now realised wasn't a nocturnal joy riding tractor at all. I remember sitting there wondering how much more the Victorian building could take before it started falling to pieces.  Am not sure if I was so tired I didn't have the foresight to get outside or in reality it happened over a much shorter timeframe than it felt.  I suspect the latter.  Naturally Badtempered Boss didn't believe me and ranted on about being disturbed (as if I had caused it...) so I was quietly (and smugly) pleased when it was on the news the next morning. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266272.stm

That's the one my husband noticed. I know it was fairly recent.

The most spectacular one was in Athens. We'd messed up our flight home from Syros and stayed overnight in the multi-storey hotel. I was just drifting off to sleep, about 6 floors up when I felt the rumbling tremor - just one - lasting about 10 seconds - I thought a heavy lorry had gone past but then thought "Don't be silly you wouldn't notice that 6 floors up". No one else had noticed a thing the next morning at breakfast and we flew home.

We'd been home about 36 hours when Athens was hit by a massive quake - it was in August 1999. So I felt very lucky, but wished I'd said something as a few people were killed and there was a lot of damage.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted

heres the 96 fax chart

Posted Image

gusty south west veering north west later wind

plenty of precipitation showing on that chart

will feel cold as well

holding this though as the low is positioned further south than the other charts

still waiting the 120 chart

heres the precipitation ensemble chart from ecm 12z run

Posted Image

i reckon we would all jump on that at present

• Like 1