Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 13th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted

The best guidance as usual is probably going to be with the upper air pattern showing on the anomaly charts, not that they are consistent really, well ECMWF is with NOAA 6-10 but GFS is not, although it had been. Anyway no 'plume' seems likely but rather a coldish outlook 6-10 days time and possibly a bit longer?

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

• Like 9

Posted

Morning all :)

A rare opportunity for me to peruse the morning Operational output as I wait for the man to come and fix the boiler - yes, it REALLY was a cold start in lowland East London this morning.

Anyway, similarities initially as might be expected in the evolution of the E'ly - LP diving south into Europe and pressure rising strongly to the NE and later North. An interesting little feature coming west across the North Sea offers a wet midweek for the south before the HP takes over and settles things for the end of the week but whither thereafter ?

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gem/runs/2014032400/gem-0-144.png?00

GEM Operational at T+144 - an evolution some of the pressure anomaly charts have suggested for some time with the trough to the SW - as the core of the HP migrates to Greenland, the trough spreads NE and eventually the British Isles is in a very unsettled and wet situation.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014032400/gfs-0-144.png?0

GFS Operational at the same time and the trough is further north and differently aligned and not a cut-off feature and, as might be suggested, it's a more mobile scenario albeit with the jet tracking a long way south. That becomes more evident into FI with a progressively more unsettled scenario developing.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014032400/ECM1-144.GIF?24-12

ECM at T+144 - much closer to GEM than GFS. Also suggests strong northern blocking and a S'ly tracking jet.

An initial period of settled conditions looks like giving away just after the turn of the month to something more unsettled especially for the south.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

More extensive Northern blocking on the GFS 06z:

Posted Image

Such a waste at this time of year, but not unusual as the PV weakens at last. Who was it on here (Summer Blizzards?) who projected the end of March before the PV would finally relent based on the Westerly QBO, etc?

Roll on, Spring/Summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 06z continues to show temperatures recovering from Saturday especially the further east you are could be close to 20c on Sunday in one or two spots

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Afternoon all posters ,Three weeks without a Computer ,its been hard but been looking at bbc charts ,computer now repaired .Its nice to be back and catching up with weather charts ,oh to have had some of these charts back in our winter .i will catch you all up later cheers .Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

UKMO showing +4 850's moving into southern England on Sunday could be looking at temperatures in the mid to high teens in some southern and eastern parts

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 06z continues to show temperatures recovering from Saturday especially the further east you are could be close to 20c on Sunday in one or two spots

Crikey like going from fridge to the frying pan here is that 19c for here summer sun.  invasion sunday to get sun tan look of it.  One downside living in the coast its murder driving here when invaded.

Posted

Crikey like going from fridge to the frying pan here is that 19c for here summer sun.  invasion sunday to get sun tan look of it.  One downside living in the coast its murder driving here when invaded.

I think the coast will be cooler the highest temperatures could be found in places like Cambridge those exposed to the coast will still notice a chill in the wind given it would still be late March / early April but once your inland and sheltered temperatures should respond especially in any sunshine

12z showing a similar trend to warmer temperatures from Saturday looking at the mid to high teens as a peak though I wouldn't rule-out somewhere getting very close to 20c all would come down to cloud amounts if we saw some lengthy clear periods towards the south in shelter 20c could be hit but in general I'd say a range of 12c to 17c

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Just had a quick glance at the ECMWF six to ten days 500mb average mean anomaly chart. A strong positive anomaly to the NW of Britain with negative anomalies to the east and SW.The 850mb temp anomaly for same period is plus 3C in south and zero in Scotland. Leading on the 3rd of April to a split with 850 temps in the south plus 3C and -2C in Scotland,

Translated giving temps not far from average but a tad warmer in the south.

• Like 1

Posted

All models now starting to agree on a return to warmer air just in time for the weekend and of course British summer time on Sunday

GEM is the latest to come on board

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

GFS 12z ensembles continue to show the 850's going above average from the 28th after which they never drop below average which takes us to  April 9th

Very little change in the air pressure as well from the 28th

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 5

Posted

ECM showing +5 850's into the south on Sunday with +6's just clipping the Kent coast with the change beginning on Saturday though Scotland holds onto the colder air

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Hello again.

Almost all models going for some sort of HLB to our North which will occur around Wednesday. GFS and ECM continue to show some impressive Northern Blocking which bringon a fiull easterly at t96:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks great and would be great.....in Winter! I mean, I'm more angry and upset than relieved to see these charts (Charts I've been wanting to see for months!). I just can;t help but think "If only these showed up in January..." Posted Image

What wasted potential this is!!!!Posted Image

I know I'm moaning, but if these types of charts showed themselves during any moth in Winter 13/14, and actualy came to frutition, I would be a lot more excited. However, it may be my pessimissim speaking, due to the hollw Winter13/14, but I just wish it wouldnlt happen at all. All that these charts will achieve is wet weather and highs of 8c at day (In London that is).

Like many, I'd rather just have warm weather now. Winter had its chance and it blew it! It can;t just turn around and say "Hello!" in Sprintime, no matter how common it may be. Yes we had a cold March last year, but doesn;t nessarcerily mean we will have the same weather this year. I usually love cold/snowy weather, but now when it shows its ugly face when we've all been deprived, suffering and led up the garden path multiple times due to the models.

Anyway, thats all I have to say on the matter.

~mpkio2~

P.S. Mods please move post if needed.

• Like 2

Posted

Some colder air still showing to the north at day 9 but the south holds onto the milder temps

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Well finally after waiting all Winter for one we have the prospect of an Easterly for the next few days.

Nothing really Wintery in the outlook though but temperatures will be depressed with an upper cold pool in situ over the UK for a while.

post-2026-0-33878800-1395686738_thumb.gipost-2026-0-28737600-1395686746_thumb.gi

The advancing Atlantic trough grinding to a halt over the country tomorrow as pressure rises over Scandinavia.

The rain band gradually weakening and moving back west again as it dies away.

It looks like the rest of the week will then feel rather cold with the wind off the North sea bringing patchy rain or showers to eastern and central districts.

A fairly typical development for early Spring as the Polar Vortex starts to diminish allowing high pressure to develop in more northern latitudes.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The gfs and ecm are at two different opinions at the 10 day range.....ecm goes for a colder outlook, the gfs for something milder,......Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-54389700-1395688308_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-97805200-1395688349_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

The gfs and ecm are at two different opinions at the 10 day range.....ecm goes for a colder outlook, the gfs for something milder,......Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Same-thing happened last night two completely different options at d10

The milder / warmer GFS

Posted ImagePosted Image

The colder ECM

Posted ImagePosted Image

GEM is the only other model which goes to day 10 I think and it also goes for the milder / warmer option

Posted ImagePosted Image

So for now its 2 -1 in favor of warmer conditions at day 10 but that of course doesn't mean ECM is wrong

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Same-thing happened last night two completely different options at d10

The milder / warmer GFS

Posted ImagePosted Image

The colder ECM

Posted ImagePosted Image

GEM is the only other model which goes to day 10 I think and it also goes for the milder / warmer option

Posted ImagePosted Image

So for now its 2 -1 in favor of warmer conditions at day 10 but that of course doesn't mean ECM is wrong

i think the ECM is due a victory after the winter it's had.

The reality is that neither will be correct at day 10 at face value. But for me i'm going to side with the ECM and it's colder evolution, however it pans out. Plenty of GFS ensembles going cold later:

Posted Image

in the nearer timeframe, good agreement on some warmer uppers moving in over the weekend and early next week. Cloudy but milder.

• Like 1

Posted

ECM ensemble has -2 850's coming in at day compared to the Op run which has -6's and -7 just clipping NE Scotland, ECM is certainly keener on cooler weather to arrive into early April unlike GFS and GEM

Posted ImagePosted Image

ECM Op run

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can't even find a word to describe how much its getting under my skin that we are seeing a Poland bred low that back in January would've brought an absolute snowfest countrywide Posted Image

Back to the models, and yeah, really is kind of a knife edge as to whether we see really warm weather with a SE component to the continental wind, or with a chilly NE component. Interesting I must say.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2