Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Remember the Met Office wind predictions are only based on averages over 3 hour periods so if it says gusts upto 58mph that's to be taken as an average at any specific time, in reality there'll probably be a fair number of gusts above 60mph maybe even close to 70mph which for inland places certainly merits an Amber warning.

I'd agree with that except the station I'm referring to is coastal (Brightlingsea) and you wouldn't expect so much variation in windspeeds there, as inland.

We can only see what happens. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

BBC national forecast on News 24 just now the presenter said gusts inland as far north as London could get as high as 70mph and Amber warnings cover the SE.

Posted

Flippin' eck ... just had a rather big gust of wind and heard a loud snap outside. A rather large branch has snapped off our silver birch ... And its only midday :-V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

wind rain and snow

Except the snow is not for this region so we only get two prongs !!post-10773-0-28934200-1392379695_thumb.j Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hi all from,blowy brentford. Hope the trees last here, already got one that looks in bad shape. It's windy and wet and I haven't seen any birds today bar the odd hardy magpie. Oh and plane birds to heathrow aswell!!

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting, looking at the current xcweather forecast, which is based on the 06z run of the GFS model, it predicts a long period of gale force winds all around our coasts and severe gales on some coasts, lasting for a while too. Hover over Hunstanton, which is on the eastern side of the Wash to see what I mean.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Hunstanton is in the yellow area for strong winds, but only by a few miles.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

We were talking about this storm on Sunday.. Now we are less than 12 hours away and still seeing some VERY strong winds with no downgrades over the whole time.. 

NOW if this was our first winter storm a lot of us would be pretty excited at this.. But it's not.

Also when do we ever see such good model agreement and forecasting at such a long way out Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

We were talking about this storm on Sunday.. Now we are less than 12 hours away and still seeing some VERY strong winds with no downgrades over the whole time.. 

NOW if this was our first winter storm a lot of us would be pretty excited at this.. But it's not.

Also when do we ever see such good model agreement and forecasting at such a long way out Posted Image

I think this will be our strongest winter storm so far for our neck of the woods, I don't think we've had gusts over 60mph here for a good couple of years at least something tells me that's going to change tonight.

Posted

latest wind observations here- http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

so you can monitor the approaching storm.

or you can watch it in real-time via satellite, here- http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

look at the speed of those clouds in the jet streak to the south west!

• Like 2

Posted

Rain getting heavier here now and wind starting to gust a bit more!

Posted

latest wind observations here- http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

so you can monitor the approaching storm.

or you can watch it in real-time via satellite, here- http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

look at the speed of those clouds in the jet streak to the south west!

Again, looking at this site, compared to the Met Office, Wattisham (near Ipswich) is showing maximum predicted gusts of 66mph at 3:00 and 67mph at 6:00 tomorrow. The Met Office is going for maximum gusts of 51mph, at 3:00.

That's a big difference, when the periods are comparable. Tbh I'm finding it a bit exasperating. Posted Image

Edit and Wattisham is in the amber wind zone. 29mph, gusting 51mph and an amber wind warning? Don't make me laugh Met Office! or are their charts chocolate teapot useless? Apparently updated at 11:00 am today too. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted

Again, looking at this site, compared to the Met Office, Wattisham (near Ipswich) is showing maximum predicted gusts of 66mph at 3:00 and 67mph at 6:00 tomorrow. The Met Office is going for gusts of maximum gusts of 51mph, at 3:00.

That's a big difference, when the periods are comparable. Tbh I'm finding it a bit exasperating. Posted Image

Edit and Wattisham is in the amber wind zone. 29mph, gusting 51mph and an amber wind warning? Don't make me laugh Met Office! or are their charts chocolate teapot useless? Apparently updated at 11:00 am today too. Posted Image

Being near the coast I suspect you'll see the upper 60's

Posted

Being near the coast I suspect you'll see the upper 60's

Well the xcweather charts make more sense tbh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Damn it! x-( OH wont take me to the south coast for valentines dinner... says he's not putting me in the path of the storm. He thinks im nuts... lolIt's suddenly becoming rather windy...

You'll get it where you are anyway I think.

• Like 1

Posted

Either this is tonight's storm hitting us much earlier than predicted, or else this is gearing up for tonight in which case Im a little worried about how intense it will be later.

• Like 1

Posted

As sea states are predicted to be 'high or very high' at daybreak tomorrow, west of about Eastbourne, does anyone know any good location for wave watching in that area? I don't mean too far west - perhaps Portsmouth being the western limit? I wouldn't do Portsmouth itself.

Just in case I wake in the dark tomorrow morning and feel the urge to drive there... :)

• Like 2