Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z ------->

A.J

Posted

Posted ImageJust found out that 80 out of 100 beach huts at Mudeford have been damaged beyond  repair...or completely disappeared. One was a friend of mines..:-(

Edited by lightningsprite
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Posted ImageJust found out that 80 out of 100 beach huts at Mudeford have been damaged beyond repair...or completely disappeared. One was a friend of mines..:-(

I have been down there this morning, amazing to see so many destroyed. If I knew how to put pics on from an iPod I would post them. Edited by That ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Morning all, hope your all ok, my weather station recorded a gust of 84.5mph last night @ 01:32 which took out 9 fence panels and relocated most of my garden next door and beyondFromey

Hi Fromey, Thanks for the confirmation. I thought the winds here were stronger that 70mph  , which part are you in.?

Im innox hill area wind comes up from south /southeast/southwest and we get hit very hard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Hi Fromey, Thanks for the confirmation. I thought the winds here were stronger that 70mph  , which part are you in.? Im innox hill area wind comes up from south /southeast/southwest and we get hit very hard.

Hi mate I'm up by the rugby club, a little exposed, but didn't think it was going to be that bad, a lot calmer now thoughFromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

The restaurant is mostly behind a seawall and a huge shingle bank..the beginning of Hurst spit.I reckon he thought the sea wouldn't breach the bank...however it breached it further down during the last storm and they've spent a week with diggers and suchlike repairing the  bank!

Yep and apparently Brighton has shingle up on the promenade and parts of the old cast iron railings have collapsed.. Bet the sea looked incredible last night.

Posted

Last evening whilst sitting listening to wind howling I was reminded of a similar awful night 32 years ago when the Solomon Browne lifeboat was lost with all hands at Tater Du rock.

They don't come any braver than the men and women who man the lifeboats that's for sure. Believe me I spent quite a few years in seas like that and you sure wouldn't want to be there. How they managed in the old days is beyond me.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Last evening whilst sitting listening to wind howling I was reminded of a similar awful night 32 years ago when the Solomon Browne lifeboat was lost with all hands at Tater Du rock.

They don't come any braver than the men and women who man the lifeboats that's for sure. Believe me I spent quite a few years in seas like that and you sure wouldn't want to be there. How they managed in the old days is beyond me.

And also good to see news coverage on the plight of our fishermen and fisherwomen as they have been lucky If they've managed to get out in their boats on only a handful of occasions this Winter down in that neck of the woods.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

All I know is that I don't want to go through that again!

Currently enjoying this nice weather though, even if it is a tad too breezy.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, hope your all ok, my weather station recorded a gust of 84.5mph last night @ 01:32 which took out 9 fence panels and relocated most of my garden next door and beyondFromey

I suspect your annemometer is over-reading a bit. Most of the South Coast didn't manage that. Yeovilton recorded a max of 67mph and that is a very exposed site showing some of the highest inland values last night. I can only think your anemometer is located somewhere in a gap between some buildings that has a funneling effect.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgeK1c8IAAACLZB.jpg:large

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

There are a few great posts on the mod thread about this, in more technical terms than this, but whilst we should enjoy the slightly quieter weather this week, we must not get complacent at all. Aside from the fact that there will still be some rain about and that much of the flooding will take a while to subside, there is also the possibility that stormy weather could return later in the month. This week should be used as a chance to repair as much as possible and make provisions and preparations for the possibility of the return of more tempestuous conditions. Nothing is set in stone, and as gloomy as this sounds, don't let the sunny weather fool you into thinking it is over and continue to stay safe and be on your guard!

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I suspect your annemometer is over-reading a bit. Most of the South Coast didn't manage that. Yeovilton recorded a max of 67mph and that is a very exposed site showing some of the highest inland values last night. I can only think your anemometer is located somewhere in a gap between some buildings that has a funneling effect.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgeK1c8IAAACLZB.jpg:large

Hi, I suspect the same thing although it is in an open area I wouldn't be surprised as the wind in a certain direction does get funneled between some houses so although some places didn't get that high it could of here with some help of it being squeezed between buildings, plus it takes something to launch a fence panel and 6ft post out of the garden and drop it 150ft awayFromey Edited by fromey
  • Like 1

Went out to Hannington today to see if there was any flooding, and what I saw was quite unreal. Fields as far as the eye can see were submerged with water, couldn't even tell where the river was. There were lots of flood signs up, and it looked like the waer at one point had risen further and inundated the roads. A few trees down too, but the flooding was definitely the serious problem out there. You see it on TV, but you don't realise how terrifying it is to see it up close. It makes you feel helpless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Wind was very strong down gosport marina area around 12.30am.

Was checking on my boat. Never known wind like it.. Had my phone and was just about to do a video and had a massive gust then over gunwhalf portsmouth next to tower something went bang then started flashing .Just caught last 4 seconds or so on phone.. Im thinking maybe powerlines or something? Wasnt thunder/lightening.. etc. have look , what you think?

What a storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Wind was very strong down gosport marina area around 12.30am.Was checking on my boat. Never known wind like it.. Had my phone and was just about to do a video and had a massive gust then over gunwhalf portsmouth next to tower something went bang then started flashing .Just caught last 4 seconds or so on phone.. Im thinking maybe powerlines or something? Wasnt thunder/lightening.. etc. have look , what you think?What a storm!http://youtu.be/uiaG-6T2Ez0

Looks like some kind of explosion to me?

Posted

your wrong mate we had a gust at prawle point of over 90mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

There are a few great posts on the mod thread about this, in more technical terms than this, but whilst we should enjoy the slightly quieter weather this week, we must not get complacent at all. Aside from the fact that there will still be some rain about and that much of the flooding will take a while to subside, there is also the possibility that stormy weather could return later in the month. This week should be used as a chance to repair as much as possible and make provisions and preparations for the possibility of the return of more tempestuous conditions. Nothing is set in stone, and as gloomy as this sounds, don't let the sunny weather fool you into thinking it is over and continue to stay safe and be on your guard!

Yes Joe and if I remember correctly you called for the zonality to pretty much continue for the rest of February so you'll be bang on with prediction it seems. Like you say, yes some respite but sadly far from enough for now, though baby steps can only be good.

Went out to Hannington today to see if there was any flooding, and what I saw was quite unreal. Fields as far as the eye can see were submerged with water, couldn't even tell where the river was. There were lots of flood signs up, and it looked like the waer at one point had risen further and inundated the roads. A few trees down too, but the flooding was definitely the serious problem out there. You see it on TV, but you don't realise how terrifying it is to see it up close. It makes you feel helpless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the words of that well known song "things can only get better" and they will eventually, but it will be a very long haul.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes Joe and if I remember correctly you called for the zonality to pretty much continue for the rest of February so you'll be bang on with prediction it seems. Like you say, yes some respite but sadly far from enough for now, though baby steps can only be good.

I sincerely hope my prediction is wrong! If it is then I will have got it right but in the most unpopular and awful way possible! As a Londoner at university in Exeter, this period of stormy weather has really opened my eyes to the way that central government in London just seems to abandon the rest of the country half the time, unless it is also affected by the same problem, and the South West, for family reasons, is held very high in my affections, so that I now consider myself 50% Devonian (not the geological period Posted Image ), 50% Londoner!

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

7 degrees

99.6mb and rising

20mph wind and gusts APPARENTLY..

Quite blustery outside but I know it should get better from now *tick tock*

Edited by SDM.13

Posted

And also good to see news coverage on the plight of our fishermen and fisherwomen as they have been lucky If they've managed to get out in their boats on only a handful of occasions this Winter down in that neck of the woods.

At Newlyn very few have been out much since the beginning of December. They are certainly feeling the pinch.

• Like 1

Posted

I sincerely hope my prediction is wrong! If it is then I will have got it right but in the most unpopular and awful way possible! As a Londoner at university in Exeter, this period of stormy weather has really opened my eyes to the way that central government in London just seems to abandon the rest of the country half the time, unless it is also affected by the same problem, and the South West, for family reasons, is held very high in my affections, so that I now consider myself 50% Devonian (not the geological period Posted Image ), 50% Londoner!

Indeed, I don't like to get political and actually feel that and stated many times that Mother Nature was and still is to blame for the whole predicament and yet that's not to say something shouldn't have been done much earlier. By way of climate change, things have changed abruptly over the last 6 to 7 years in my opinion and the knock on effect to our wider environments across the globe are truly global issues which is a whole bigger topic, one which I don't need to bring up in here. Lessons will be learnt but this issue will not go away and will of course, be dictated by the future weather. Next week looks more favourable which is brilliant news but it is only a case of a couple of drier days in amongst a generally unsettled picture. What are your hopes for Spring then, Joe? no pressure then. You heard it here first guys.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Evening gang ,just been out side and theres a lovely Halo ,perhaps the high level cloud from our next system approaching .next week looking tamer but our area looks under threat again monday for rain which could get upgraded over time .but looks like things will fire up again later in the week .perhaps the wind tamer but plenty of rain on offer in further outlook ,and so it goes on ,its so quiet tonight this time  last night it sounded like a freight train was passing the neighbourhood .cheers .

• Like 2

Posted

Indeed, I don't like to get political and actually feel that and stated many times that Mother Nature was and still is to blame for the whole predicament and yet that's not to say something shouldn't have been done much earlier. By way of climate change, things have changed abruptly over the last 6 to 7 years in my opinion and the knock on effect to our wider environments across the globe are truly global issues which is a whole bigger topic, one which I don't need to bring up in here. Lessons will be learnt but this issue will not go away and will of course, be dictated by the future weather. Next week looks more favourable which is brilliant news but it is only a case of a couple of drier days in amongst a generally unsettled picture. What are your hopes for Spring then, Joe? no pressure then. You heard it here first guys.

Well I think that a blocked March and April is certainly feasible, and colder weather has been suggested by the CFS on a few occasions. However, this very much depends on the cold over the Eastern US, which could continue for a lot longer. It has been suggested by some that if this pattern persists into Spring then the stronger sun will give higher dewpoints which in turn would give higher rainfall totals, however I would like to think that would not happen. My hope is that we get a build of high pressure from one angle or another. From a coldie's perspective, a blocked easterly pattern would be nice, but from a more practical and empathetic position, a build of high pressure from the south is preferable.

• Like 1

Posted

Well I think that a blocked March and April is certainly feasible, and colder weather has been suggested by the CFS on a few occasions. However, this very much depends on the cold over the Eastern US, which could continue for a lot longer. It has been suggested by some that if this pattern persists into Spring then the stronger sun will give higher dewpoints which in turn would give higher rainfall totals, however I would like to think that would not happen. My hope is that we get a build of high pressure from one angle or another. From a coldie's perspective, a blocked easterly pattern would be nice, but from a more practical and empathetic position, a build of high pressure from the south is preferable.

Very well put, I've harped on about an Easterly being the perfect drying wind so that would suit me and many others who depend on the land I would imagine. I don't feel many would like a March 2013 rerun however, when the crops in the fields I surveyed only started to produce proper growth by mid June, that was true climate madness once again. Having said all that, we will receive what gets thrown at us, but we clearly will have to respect Mother Nature more than we ever have before in the coming years. I sincerely hope the ruling governments across the globe are now waking up to this fact.

I've gone on a bit of a rant tonight and will now retire for the evening but tomorrow does see another opportunity for some sort of clean up which can only be good news. I probably provide some sort of analysis in the early part of next week and see if I can pin down some sort of developing pattern myself. Thanks for your insight folks, take care.

• Like 2

Posted

your wrong mate we had a gust at prawle point of over 90mph

Bit of a difference between Prawle Point and the middle of Frome though !There were several places on the coast with speeds in excess of that but not 30 miles inland as we are.I think 109mph at The Needles was the highest gust recordedScreen grab I captured last night shows gusting to 83kts ( 95mph ) at 20.52 at Prawle Point

post-3838-0-11421100-1392503964_thumb.pn

Edited by chapmanslade