Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

I have just returned home from work to a scene of carnage. Neighbours house roof badly damaged, tiles scattered over 100 ft or so, garden fence smashed, even one of the concrete posts is snapped. What the hell, my anemometer 10 metres up on the roof is destroyed. The last speed on the console before death is 99.2 mph. Can someone find out for me if there has been any tornadic activity in south yorks or barnsley plz? My house is ok. The anemometer pole was a tv antenna pole and is bent almost flat pointing east.

There was one absolute monster of a gust at about 8.30.. picked everything up in the garden.  

Posted

Jeez! I think it would have been a bit of a shock to be at home with all that going on. :o

I'm truley perplexed, the last 10 min mean before the 99.2 mph was 55 mph. The final min mean was 73.3 mph.

Posted

There was one absolute monster of a gust at about 8.30.. picked everything up in the garden.

the time for 99.2 mph was 20:31:06
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

The power of the wind today was something I've not experienced before....at least not inland. Having left work at 6pm...I was pretty much blown back to my car in a strong sustained wind. Once I arrived home (we live on a hill)...I could tell that the wind was much stronger.

The show home signs (massive metal sign) has bent over. The wheelie bins were scattered around and wood planks that I've had sitting around. I then faced a battle just to open the car door and then fight with the bins to get them laid down in the garden. Even in our relatively sheltered garden it was just crazy. There were a few guests at around 7pm...where I genuinely thought the windows would go through. 

I'm glad there isn't any major problems in terms of life lost...it was a fascinating day which started so calm. It is unusual to see a storm upgraded from early tracking...so it was nice to see that happening (despite the destruction) and it was an event I'm glad I've experienced. With speeds like that inland...I dread to think how the coast was.

Posted

Effing great, just great. The fence murdered my rain gauge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Maasive thunder snow storm here.. a good 4 to 5 flashes a min.. purple sky. No cg..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Maasive thunder snow storm here.. a good 4 to 5 flashes a min.. purple sky. No cg..

im led in bed and thought I was seeing things until there were several flashes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

A 'weather/disaster management guy' on sky news just said we will continue to have the bombardment of storm systems for another 2 weeks at least!

Your kidding, I hope he is wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm annoyed, can't afford new anemometer or rain gauge until the start of march.

Oh and one of next doors tiles cracked my en suite bathroom window. It also looks like that it was one of next doors tiles wiped out the anemometer. Their red tile debris is on my roof, will inspect in daylight tommorow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

im led in bed and thought I was seeing things until there were several flashes

looking at the radar there might be another one on the way

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Fridays storm could be equally as interesting, potential for some more widespread effects and surprised the models are picking up some rapid cyclogenesis on a storm occurring 7 days away... I cant remember any model picking up on cyclogensis that far in advance before.

I was lucky today, I got nowhere near the expected level of wind, only registering 44mph gust, with a mean speed of 17mph on average so, a breezy/windy day, but nothing more... though Im sheltered so that's the reason.

A westerly, or southerly and Im not so sheltered.. but things have become even calmer now anyway.

Hope the damage isn't too untenable for those who got it.

Posted

I was at work during the height of the 'storm' in what is effectively a giant steel shed, and if it wasn't for the odd electricity stutter I wouldn't have noticed anything. Yet another dud around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Fridays storm could be equally as interesting, potential for some more widespread effects and surprised the models are picking up some rapid cyclogenesis on a storm occurring 7 days away... I cant remember any model picking up on cyclogensis that far in advance before.

I was lucky today, I got nowhere near the expected level of wind, only registering 44mph gust, with a mean speed of 17mph on average so, a breezy/windy day, but nothing more... though Im sheltered so that's the reason.

A westerly, or southerly and Im not so sheltered.. but things have become even calmer now anyway.

Hope the damage isn't too untenable for those who got it.

Amazing how we've had roofs ripped off, sides of buildings torn down and numerous trees felled here whilst you've come away unscathed....would have expected your area to be even windier. To echo what Richie V has said, the winds were concentrated in one violent period...which, I'm guessing, is when most of the damage occurred here. It was about a half hour period where there was a sustained roar and violent gusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

We have a Daily Mirror fail today

They used an old sat picture, to fear us all, that three 'terror' storms are going to vent their wrath upon us

https://twitter.com/callumeakins/status/433741583473967104/photo/1

https://twitter.com/liamdutton/status/433752773826732032/photo/1

Yesterday's Storm was in fact the white 'blob' in the centre of the image

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 1

Posted

Amazing how we've had roofs ripped off, sides of buildings torn down and numerous trees felled here whilst you've come away unscathed....would have expected your area to be even windier. To echo what Richie V has said, the winds were concentrated in one violent period...which, I'm guessing, is when most of the damage occurred here. It was about a half hour period where there was a sustained roar and violent gusts.

Is it likely that Wednesday's storm had a sting jet? That half hour period you mention of a sustained roar with violent gusts sounds exactly like the sting jet I experienced back in the October 2013 storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Winds peaked early int he evening at 76mph. The highest average was Force 8 plenty of gusts in the 60's until eight in the evening when they decided to drop off. Still breezy this morning but nothing of note.

So finally a storm that arrived. Friday Saturdays won't effect us but it will be breezy when the winds swing back to the west.

Posted

Although not considered that bad down here, yesterdays storm must have been pretty strong as my fence panels, which had survived all previous storms, alas didn't survive this one. There were 3 or 4 outrageous gusts.

Friday's storm continues to look bad but not terrible for wind, 70-80mph on the coasts, emphasis probably back on rain by then. And signs that next week will be calmer, aside the odd rogue GFS run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Was a wild start to the night with gusts for a few hours hitting 70-80mph with sustained winds into the mid 50's. All eyes on Friday now! The winds won't be gusting to over 100mph like yesterdays storm, thankfully! 

• Like 1