Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gusts have been increasing here over the past couple of hours,with some that are making the tiles rattle.no idea of speed,can hear my metal garden furniture being thrown around and electricity pole down the street is leaning..

hearing things like metal think the petrol station roof getting ripped again.  Hull had 58knots gust.  Going crazy here with lulls then huge gusts.

Not too bad here just the odd gust 

Just had a look on Isle of Wight (live) Weather site and this is their records for this month, not sure if that's covering "Needles" though. :/

Posted Image

that is in Newport IOW, very very built up area, it wont cover the Needles IOW as it is over the other side of the island and very much an open area of the island too, i seldom go by wind readings from the Needles because of where the weather station is placed.

• Like 1

that is in Newport IOW, very very built up area, it wont cover the Needles IOW as it is over the other side of the island and very much an open area of the island too, i seldom go by wind readings from the Needles because of where the weather station is placed.

I asked a follower of mine on Twitter who lives on the island and he said that Needles reported 102mph... few pictures being posted too from various apps on Twitter showing 109mph.

Posted Image

It was no doubt recorded yes, however the needles is situated very high up so will give readings of very high wind gusts..

Still very gusty here but appears to be calming down now.

Heading to bed now as worst appears to be passing, night all,take care when going out and about..

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Forgot about this thread. Way more lively!

Had bad gusts the past 3 hours which calmed down for about 15mins and now they're going for it again.

Pressure has risen from 97.2 to 97.7 which is good but I want these gales to go away!!

Forgot about this thread. Way more lively!Had bad gusts the past 3 hours which calmed down for about 15mins and now they're going for it again.Pressure has risen from 97.2 to 97.7 which is good but I want these gales to go away!!

BBC just said the storms over the USA could have some impact on us. 

Doesn't surprise me lol.Hopefully it just fizzles out mostly as it moves across so we have a small storm to deal with!

Doesn't surprise me either, it's where most of our storms have originated. I didn't watch this news, so I'm hoping they are not saying more storms are on the way.

• Like 1

I hope with them being twins that this one we're dealing with now isn't dragging the other one in faster.

We all deserve a big break right about now and I don't think a few days respite would do it.

Wish it would just disappear off the map.

I woke up to more gusts that are pretty severe taking it in turns to calm down and then really pick up.

I know it's slow moving but jheeze I thought this violent period was coming to an end for the night.

A really stormy night, only just dying down! I see we reached 80mph just down the road, I imagine most of the Dorset/Hants coast would have done too. I'm struck though with the amount of inland areas topping 70mph, Farnborough reaching 74mph for example, I'm guessing there will be problems across a large part of SE this morning.

I saw that, wondering what implications it has on our current conditions? Does it mean our stormy period will intensify.

I saw that, wondering what implications it has on our current conditions? Does it mean our stormy period will intensify.

No it doesn't. It looks as if we may be in for some relatively calm weather at last.

Hopefully that was the last deep low to come our way and next week we'll something more normal winter weather for the UK giving longer drier interludes between the rain which should enable the water levels to start and subside slightly though we've got a long long way to go before its completely gone

Edited by Summer Sun

I hope with them being twins that this one we're dealing with now isn't dragging the other one in faster.We all deserve a big break right about now and I don't think a few days respite would do it.Wish it would just disappear off the map.I woke up to more gusts that are pretty severe taking it in turns to calm down and then really pick up.I know it's slow moving but jheeze I thought this violent period was coming to an end for the night.

It really is not unusual for two weather systems to be linked as the sat picc shows, not that often that the cloud is quite so well organised perhaps.

• Like 1

No it doesn't. It looks as if we may be in for some relatively calm weather at last.

There's many interpretations for that but the outlook still looks dreadful, particularly for those already suffering from flooding.

Morning all, well my shed is no longer a shed, more like a large sieve,  thankfully the water only came up to the kitchen door and not into my kitchen, and only 2 leaks (builders done a grand job) as for the Island..she is looking pretty sorry for herself this morning :(

Many places still without power, limited public transport around the island, we are all pulling together and getting the island moving and helping each other out.

These are only a few photo's, shall get some more later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7