Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Peeps.. The reason the North are getting strong winds is like this..

Everything is going as the models said..

post-12648-0-52042100-1392388175_thumb.j

Posted Image

post-12648-0-32578700-1392388292_thumb.p

Black arrow indicating storm track..

Red circle is showing why we have strong winds further north currently..

Blue circle is the potent winds moving north east to effect the Southern areas tonight... 

post-12648-0-85604700-1392388368_thumb.p

The winds will die right back in the locations that the "eye" passes over.. For instances some places that are having some hefty gusts now won't later, while the Southern counties get blown away... 

Notice the really tight pressure gradient over southern England... tighter to that currently over Wales..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Corfe castle is getting cut off, it's usually a tiny stream but when you get 30mm of rain in 7 hours, it runs off of the hills fast. I expect this will go up and they'll close the road, I've had to cancel my doctors appointment there, otherwise I'd have to drive to Studland, then through to Swanage, then on to Corfe, then go back the same way,  that's about a 30 mile round trip instead of 8 :lol:

post-15177-0-48803600-1392388533_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Peeps.. The reason the North are getting strong winds is like this..

Everything is going as the models said..

Posted Imagemph.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Imagewind storm.png

Black arrow indicating storm track..

Red circle is showing why we have strong winds further north currently..

Blue circle is the potent winds moving north east to effect the Southern areas tonight... 

Posted Imagewindy.png

The winds will die right back in the locations that the "eye" passes over.. For instances some places that are having some hefty gusts now won't later, while the Southern counties get blown away... 

Notice the really tight pressure gradient over southern England... tighter to that currently over Wales..

Agreed, its all a case how quickly it moves through now and you've as good as confirmed my suspicions as to where the surface feature currently resides. Will it track as predicted is the next question, if so the strongest gusts will slowly transfer Eastwards as darkness falls and will continue for many an hour overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

06z GFS was actually 2 mb lower than 00z  with central pressure over SW Ireland at 18z this evening, so perhaps a tighter gradient towards the south of Britain than originally modelled. Be interesting to see the obs at cork for pressure at 18z as this is roughly where GFS shows the centre of the low.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Currently gusting to around 50mph I would say here, just off the A1, although a bit elevated. Wind direction is between SE and SSE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Currently gusting to around 50mph I would say here, just off the A1, although a bit elevated. Wind direction is between SE and SSE.

As the winds back around towards the SW is when the fun and games will begin. They're either blowing from the East or direct from the South for most now and you'll soon know when they have changed direction, more especially if you're located in the South of England, a while to go yet though before that happens.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Just starting to veer more to the south-west for parts of the south-west

Gusting into the low 50's here

St Mary's - Scilly Isles, have had a gust to 72mph

edit: back edge of front now going through, a bit like Wednesday

Heavy rain, and increased gusts... sudden change to blue sky, to my west

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 2

Posted

60 mph in West Yorkshire ? Nothing of note here so far

The wind is certainly stronger here than forecast. Must be gusting 60mph here in West Yorkshire. Has the storm shifted further north? And are they set to get worse for us?

Strange nothing in Leeds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

Can't say im looking forward to the predicted battering later, my poor fence is looking on its last legs and ive already had to re-felt the shed roof after the last lot got whipped of in the previous weeks winds.....batten down everyone!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

As the winds back around towards the SW is when the fun and games will begin. They're either blowing from the East or direct from the South for most now and you'll soon know when they have changed direction, more especially if you're located in the South of England, a while to go yet though before that happens.

After 6pm I suspect most of us in the south will notice it starting to pick up and change direction, won't really get going until about 9pm on the south coast probably 11pm to midnight inland.

Posted

After 6pm I suspect most of us in the south will notice it starting to pick up and change direction, won't really get going until about 9pm on the south coast probably 11pm to midnight inland.

Yes, that's pretty much what is forecast from what I saw earlier. There is a chance that things might change I guess so people do need to keep an eye on things, especially those whom are likely to be swept off their feet in more ways than one on this Valentine's night. Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Pretty gusty here at the minute in all honesty. Lamp posts outside are swaying. Doubt it'll take much wind to dislodge what was weakened during Wednesday's storm.

Posted

Yes, that's pretty much what is forecast from what I saw earlier. There is a chance that things might change I guess so people do need to keep an eye on things, especially those whom are likely to be swept off their feet in more ways than one on this Valentine's night. Posted Image

Oh dear is that the best pun you could come up with?..  for those up north this is snow joke you know! Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

60 mph in West Yorkshire ? Nothing of note here so farStrange nothing in Leeds

My local weather station (Pudsey, Leeds) showing 30mph gust and a 10 minute average of 14mph. Barometer is dropping fairly quickly though.

Posted

Persistent rain has eased off here now and sky has brightened up a little but now looks more showery the clouds are hurtling across the sky at some rate of knots and the wind has picked up a little in the last few minutes, beginning to hear it down my fire place now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The winds are finally picking up here, my station is recording gusts around 30mph but it's only at 4m and lots of obstructions to slow wind speeds down. 46mph to beat though, quite possible over night.

The radar is looking exceptionally colourful at the moment! :)

post-15177-0-12578400-1392392550_thumb.ppost-15177-0-90907200-1392392558_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted

The winds are finally picking up here, my station is recording gusts around 30mph but it's only at 4m and lots of obstructions to slow wind speeds down. 46mph to beat though, quite possible over night.

The radar is looking exceptionally colourful at the moment! Posted Image

Posted Imageviewimage (13).pngPosted Imageviewimage (14).png

I'm quite glad the South is sharing its precipitation around for once too, nothing like keeping it all to ourselves.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi everyone!

Been reading the forum for the past few weeks; it's been so much more informative than the media, and I've learnt a few things in the process. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post all the info on the storms as they develop!

I'm based in Central London, and I have to admit to slightly looking forward to the storm tonight as we don't get much in the way of strong winds here. Currently though there's hardly any wind at all, but we've just had a torrential downpour which lasted for about an hour, then eased off, and has now stopped.

• Like 5

Posted

Ok folks ... to my eyes, GFS 12Z has slightly downgraded the storm and pushes it through faster. Also, inland gusts looking more like 60mph+ rather than 70mph+, big difference when it comes to damage potential.

Obviously it's only one run and could be wrong, but for an event 12 hours away it's unlikely to change much now.

Earlier in the day I was thinking 90mph was quite possible on the coast but 75-80mph at most seems reasonable, if this is right.