Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Yellow Alert of Wind for East of England :

Essex, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock

Gales accompanied by heavy rain will continue northeastwards overnight, the gales swinging into the west by morning but still with the potential for gusts to around 70 mph in coastal areas, possibly 80 mph in the far southwest. Inland gusts to around 60 mph are likely. A gradual change to more showery conditions is expected on Wednesday but still with some longer spells of rain, which could mean that some areas see accumulations of 20-30 mm in 24 hours, perhaps even 40 mm over southwestern hills. 

The public should be aware of the risk of disruption from either the wind or rain elements in this warning, which have almost equal prominence during this period. Additionally, large waves and high tides mean a further risk of flooding in some coastal areas.

Issued at:

1126 on Mon 3 Feb 2014

Valid from:

0005 on Wed 5 Feb 2014

Valid to:

2300 on Wed 5 Feb 2014

Another very deep area of low pressure will swing bands of rain and strong winds across the entire country on Wednesday, with impacts focused in southern and western areas.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=C205FD7A-83A5-2159-3FEA-ECE280D5FB52_5_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1391558400

Posted

..............and hot on the heels of 'Windy Wednesday' we have the possibility of 'Flooding Friday'....

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, West Berkshire, Bracknell Forest, Greater London, Hampshire, Reading, Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, East Sussex, Kent, Medway, Southampton, Surrey, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Isle of Wight & Portsmouth

Yellow Alert of Rain for East of England :

Essex, Hertfordshire, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock

A further spell of heavy rain may affect parts of the south of England for a time late on Thursday evening and during the first part of Friday. Southeastern areas are judged as being most at risk.

The public should be aware that there is more than usual uncertainty in the outcome for this period but that further flooding may occur (or be worsened in some areas) if this threat does materialize.

Issued at:

1200 on Mon 3 Feb 2014

Valid from:

0005 on Fri 7 Feb 2014

Valid to:

1200 on Fri 7 Feb 2014

Computer models are undecided on the outcome during this period. A low pressure is expected to develop somewhere to the southwest of the country on Thursday but its subsequent track may take it safely to the south (across Biscay and France), or curve it into the south of the UK overnight and into Friday. In the case of the latter outcome, heavy rain falling so soon after the previous batch (see warnings for Wednesday) would be expected to exacerbate problems with flooding, (especially as further heavy rain seems very likely early on Saturday)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=D4216E5C-1F59-838F-8A3E-F78216B36994_1_SE&tab=warnings&map

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Dreadful forecasts from Wednesday onwards.  Lovely and sunny day here in Tunbridge Wells today tho..

Posted

It looks like there has been another mysterious transformation in MK, the Peartree Bridge dinosaur's turn for a makeover this time ......

post-10773-0-17327800-1391441975_thumb.j

...as you can see from the photo it's cloudy here and the ground is sodden Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

This is crazy and very helpful spread the love Posted Image

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

I love the way snow is under the category, 'biological hazard' lol

Oh no, it's back :O

Posted Image

Posted

I love the way snow is under the category, 'biological hazard' lol

I'm more concerned about the dozen children from Greenfields school in Northampton who have been taken to hospital 'as a precaution' after a suspected chemical spill than I am snow….it sounds like a Biology class hazard to me - hope they are all okay !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Well it has remained dry here today, feeling cold out in the breeze mind, and seemed to cloud over quite a bit on and off through the day, expected rain at some points then it brightened up (a bit anyway) each time.

New week after spending too much money last week means tonight and many other will be spent indoors out of the elements.

mid-week weather is really looking naff too.

So far, Wednesday sucks, Friday sucks and Saturday now sucks.

does that mean monday, tuesday, thursday and sunday will blow?

Afternoon all

Well it has remained dry here today, feeling cold out in the breeze mind, and seemed to cloud over quite a bit on and off through the day, expected rain at some points then it brightened up (a bit anyway) each time.

New week after spending too much money last week means tonight and many other will be spent indoors out of the elements.

mid-week weather is really looking naff too.

does that mean monday, tuesday, thursday and sunday will blow?

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if they did start "blowing"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Maybe I should add you have to have known Bill Farkin, bit of a leg end Posted Image

Now there's a name I recall with some horror...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I think we all like reading your contributions to the regional thread CK, it's nothing personal against you or anyone else but there have been quite a few posts deleted or pruned in here recently which were not suitable or relevant to this thread at all - there is always the lounge area for less weather related stuff, in fact the very under used banter thread has the opposite rules to here, if you mention anything weather related in there you get time out on the naughty step Posted Image

You may feel it's a bit harsh but it’s in the interests of keeping the thread running smoothly, as I've said it's nothing personal we just need to try and make sure everybody can enjoy using Netweather without undue spam/off topic posting/aggressive posting/offensive posting or in this case some posts starting to drift too far away from weather and region based discussion.

The team are all in pretty much in agreement with the fact that this regional thread is going to be more chatty and sociable, if you look at any of the other regional’s then you will see that this one tends to be more ‘off topic’ than any of the others which is something we are all guilty of at times and is mostly fine as long as it's not drowning out any informative posts, I think we are a great bunch who all enjoy the happy atmosphere in here and I certainly don't want to see that change Posted Image

Post of the month IMO, says all that needs to be said really.......although just to add.......

....This is a damned good regional thread moderated by a damed good host (Ali) who kindly volunteered (along with the rest of the site team) to give up some of their spare time to ensure every member enjoys their time spent on the forum.....Worth remembering that before some folk accuse us of running the thread akin to being at school.

If there are any probs then please contact the site team by pm rather than post/reply in this thread, after all it is a regional WEATHER discussion thread

Ta very muchly,

Your resident Grinch

AJ Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Post of the month IMO, says all that needs to be said really.......although just to add.......

....This is a damned good regional thread moderated by a damed good host (Ali) who kindly volunteered (along with the rest of the site team) to give up some of their spare time to ensure every member enjoys their time spent on the forum.....Worth remembering that before some folk accuse us of running the thread akin to being at school.

If there are any probs then please contact the site team by pm rather than post/reply in this thread, after all it is a regional WEATHER discussion thread

Ta very muchly,

Your resident Grinch

AJ Posted Image

Only the 3rd Posted Image

Feeling a lot cooler out now (just been out to see if I can restart the remote temp thingy) but still nice and light out thanks to the sun not being lost behind the cloud for a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Additional to previous post - I was unaware that Paul on the old BBC forum was our founder.  Back on topic - it's been pleasant having some sunshine the past couple of days, but I suspect I'll have long since forgotten what that is by the end of the month.  MOD thread discussing a continuation of what we're expecting later this week through to March.Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Does anyone else think this winter will go down in history for all the wrong reasons ?

My memory is pretty much shot but even so,  I can't remember a winter so mild and stormy in my lifetime. My weather station gave up the ghost last year so I don't have the statistics but I can probably count the number of frosts on the fingers of one hand so far. Remarkable given that I live just 3-4 miles from the notorious frost hollow of Rickmansworth. It's a shame that official weather station was closed down several years ago because it recorded some incredibly low temperatures over the years.

I'm pleased that my heating bill has been kept down, but I do miss scenes like this :

Edited. Ooops, my photos didn't load the first time......Posted Image

post-10628-0-22834800-1391446466_thumb.j

post-10628-0-71978600-1391446883_thumb.j

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 7

Posted

..............and hot on the heels of 'Windy Wednesday' we have the possibility of 'Flooding Friday'....

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

I'm really beginning to think that your alerts are in fact causing the weather, not that the alerts are because of the weather.Posted Image

Posted

Morning all. Posted Image

Crazy Snowfan was not that crazy.. 

"AWWWWWWWWWW THE ME IS HOPE U IS GETS LOADZZZA SNOWS THEEES WINTERS 2 N BLOWS IT OVA 2 THE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ISWELLS SO ALL SNOWFANS IS YIPSEEEEEEEEE IN THE SNOWS N.."

.....no not not crazy at all Posted Image

Does anyone else think this winter will go down in history for all the wrong reasons ?

Yes, I think your probably right Posted Image

Posted

My memory is pretty much shot but even so,  I can't remember a winter so mild and stormy in my lifetime. My weather station gave up the ghost last year so I don't have the statistics but I can probably count the number of frosts on the fingers of one hand so far. Remarkable given that I live just 3-4 miles from the notorious frost hollow of Rickmansworth. It's a shame that official weather station was closed down several years ago because it recorded some incredibly low temperatures over the years.

I'm pleased that my heating bill has been kept down, but I do miss scenes like this :

I think this is normal and cyclic we just have selective memory (no your right I do not remember either), it may be something to do whith what you are looking for or expect and when it is not there, well you get the idea.

Lovely evening out there, if a tad chilly but not cold, making the most of the fact it is dry (as I am sure many others will be).  I just hope the Spring and Summer do not follow as wet and windy.

"AWWWWWWWWWW THE ME IS HOPE U IS GETS LOADZZZA SNOWS THEEES WINTERS 2 N BLOWS IT OVA 2 THE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ISWELLS SO ALL SNOWFANS IS YIPSEEEEEEEEE IN THE SNOWS N.."

.....no not not crazy at all Posted Image

Yes, I think your probably right Posted Image

[DELETE] just for being random madness Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'm really beginning to think that your alerts are in fact causing the weather, not that the alerts are because of the weather.Posted Image

haha, don't blame the messenger....perhaps you would like to write to the Chief Forecaster c/o the Met Office and share your thoughts with him Posted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/contact

Posted

sadly I now agree with youPosted Image

Nooooooo :( neither of you, I love our thread (and it does 'meander' at times but that is the beauty of it)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My updated warnings map.

There is sufficient enough evidence to support a potentially dangerous period between the 3rd - 10th February. I would obviously normally provide forecasts for the Southeast but I feel this week warrants my help and warnings to those across the whole southern portion of England & Wales. System after system will effect the UK this week bringing outbreaks of heavy rain. With the ground already heavily saturated, this is looking serious for those already flooded or on the brink of flooding. 

Please be aware that if you are prone to flooding and are located in the red areas, act now as a precaution. This is an unusually wet period and there is a high likelihood of river flooding. Details will be firmed up in the next 24-48 hours. If you know anyone who lives in these areas, please share this post, it's not for my benefit but for theirs.

https://www.facebook.com/LondonAndTheSouthEastWeather?bookmark_t=page

post-15503-0-81937900-1391447504_thumb.p

• Like 1