Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

For us I think we are well sheltered by Wales, I cannot see such large winds, but for hilltops like Winter Hill and Billinge Hill, there could be some gusts to about 60mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Ok thanks SP1986. Night all in work at 0700 am booo !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Worried about powerlines going down because I will have no food for a week if my freezer defrosts, always possible around here, lights flickered half an hour ago, the pylons are very exposed on massive hills, apart from that, I don't see any real danger to life for our region or anything to severe, of course you can always be unlucky and have a small branch off a tree hit you but nothing widespread in my opinion, Gale to severe gale force maybe, max gusts around 45 - 50 mph tomorrow midday, as long as your aware and don't make yourself a sitting duck, you should be ok people, met don't even have a warning anywhere near our region, I would have thought perhaps a yellow might be appropriate but they know more than me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

50mph shouldn't down a powerline, here we get far higher gusts than 50mph most years, but things usually stand up to the task.. of course with sodden ground it's a different story.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

50mph shouldn't down a powerline, here we get far higher gusts than 50mph most years, but things usually stand up to the task.. of course with sodden ground it's a different story.

Maybe not then but power has briefly outed on a number of occasions in my 3 and a half years here but came back on reasonably shortly (30 mins max), one was in summer and cant remember any bad weather that day, but the others were all in heavy rain and strong winds, the longest was in the middle of the night around 1am between xmas and new year 2012 -2013 and, cannot have been a powerline brought down but surely it cannot be a co - incidence that it was a gale to severe gale force wind but nothing extreme, certainly not storm force anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

GFS shows snow even at low levels on Tuesday and has done for like the last 5 days, can understand why its not getting much attention but it's one to watch.

• Like 1

Posted

a bit windy here.

No warnings or alerts for us.

Southern England has them again i feel sorry for them.

• Like 1

Posted

GFS shows snow even at low levels on Tuesday and has done for like the last 5 days, can understand why its not getting much attention but it's one to watch.

Personally I think the GFS is really struggling to deal with the storm setup as things are changing a lot within 48 hours... I reckon that snow won't be there come Tuesday in my honest opinionAs for today's a few strong gusts but quite calm given there's only 2 hours to the peak of this storm. Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Pretty nasty wind here at the mo, getting worse

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Raining here now, looked like sleet at first but too warm,,,winds still getting up

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

4-0 half time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

We will never get lying snow at this rate. Its only a month before March which is rare to see snow lying all day. I wish this planet just tilt more away from the Sun so we see better chance to see snow.

Or we need a comet just to cool the planet down.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

We will never get lying snow at this rate. Its only a month before March which is rare to see snow lying all day. I wish this planet just tilt more away from the Sun so we see better chance to see snow.

Or we need a comet just to cool the planet down.

0r cover the Atlantic up somehow, then westerlies chilly as E'lys

Posted

This could happen in the future Shutdown of thermohaline circulation but if it did we might dread what we wish for...and look back with fond memories of milder westerlies...

..anyway back to today, it's the first time the winds have made more of an impact here - trip round Oldham t/c and notorious wind traps caught a few people out.  The kind of gusts that stop you in your tracks and feel like you've been slapped in the face.  Still nothing like what they are experiencing in the south west though.  South Wales particularly being hammered at present... more nasty weather set to transfer into our region in next few hours.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!