Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I reckon you lot will do well; with colder uppers incoming I'm sure snow will be on the agenda Posted Image Goodluck!

Sorry for the London invasion into the scottish thread by me and Daniel, it's just that we haven't see a flake of snow all winter.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Sorry for the London invasion into the scottish thread by me and Daniel, it's just that we haven't see a flake of snow all winter.

most of us have hardly seen a thing apart from the odd passing snow shower all winter as well.

when will you be coming for a holiday and will you have transport to travel once up here?

Posted

The English have invaded :p lassie hope you get your snow fix :) - I wish I could join you, but who has the time to go all the way up north ;) scotland is such a beautiful country, would love to go to the Cairngorms such a tranquil place. I doubt me in london, will get nothing more then cold rain - once the snow sets in, this thread will burst into life! (Possibly)

Posted

if coming to Scotland for a holiday I would say the best place to base yourself would be DUNFERMLINE Scotlands ancient capital in the kingdom of fife.

fife is a great place with some great places to see in the link below and also has some great coastal routes and some cracking beaches weather permitting

http://www.visitdunfermline.com/view-attractions.php

also the M90 runs adjacent to there with just a 30-40 min drive into Edinburgh

http://edinburghtouristguides.co.uk/fun_things_to_do.html

also you can head north on the M90 which will take you to Perth and Dundee and in only 2 short hours you could be in Aberdeen with again some fantastic coastal routes to take in on the way up

http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/aberdeen-city-shire/see-do/

or you can head west and in 1 hour you will be in Glasgow and on your way you could visit Stirling another great little town with a cracking castle and the Wallace monument and also an ancient capital of Scotland

http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/loch-lomond-trossachs-forth-valley/see-do/

then Glasgow has a rough reputation but it is a great city with lots to see and do just try and stay away from the worst areas lol

http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/loch-lomond-trossachs-forth-valley/see-do/

and just on the off chance if you do go to Glasgow I would take a read through this so you don't get caught out with the lingo and end up taking a chibbing Posted Image

http://www.glasgowvant.com/glaswegian-dictionary-terms-and-phrases/

that my best suggestion for a Scottish holiday

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Posted

if coming to Scotland for a holiday I would say the best place to base yourself would be DUNFERMLINE Scotlands ancient capital in the kingdom of fife.

fife is a great place with some great places to see in the link below and also has some great coastal routes and some cracking beaches weather permitting

http://www.visitdunfermline.com/view-attractions.php

also the M90 runs adjacent to there with just a 30-40 min drive into Edinburgh

http://edinburghtouristguides.co.uk/fun_things_to_do.html

also you can head north on the M90 which will take you to Perth and Dundee and in only 2 short hours you could be in Aberdeen with again some fantastic coastal routes to take in on the way up

http://www.visitscotland.com/destinations-maps/aberdeen-city-shire/see-do/

or you can head west and in 1 hour you will be in Glasgow and on your way you could visit Stirling another great little town with a cracking castle and the Wallace monument and also an ancient capital of Scotland

then Glasgow has a rough reputation but it is a great city with lots to see and do just try and stay away from the worst areas lol

and just on the off chance if you do go to Glasgow I would take a read through this so you don't get caught out with the lingo and end up taking a chibbing Posted Image

http://www.glasgowvant.com/glaswegian-dictionary-terms-and-phrases/

that my best suggestion for a Scottish holiday

Snowless in scotland too, when was the last time you had such a mild winter I wonder? I will be coming in August but will not have my own transport. However, thank you very much for taking the time to reply in so much detail, so many beautiful places to see, Aberdeen looks amazing. I may avoid Glasgow as a chibbing sounds really painful.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Blizzards in north

By Simon Keeling in Wombourne, Staffs 14:00hrs 21/03/2014

There's the threat of some significant snowfall across the Pennines and Scotland through this evening and tonight as a trough moves east. The snow could be heavy at times over the hills, with the wind chill making it bitterly cold.

You can see the trough on the chart below, marked as the area of purple colouring, and it's that which is going to be intensifying the precipitation as it heads eastwards.

At low levels precipitation will be falling as rain, with most of this clearing to the east by daybreak.

However, as this happens temperatures will be falling sharply and those for those who might be out and about early in the morning ice will become a big problem, lasting until mid Saturday morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Had a 0.5 cm covering of snaw this morning.

Sun quickly melting it the now.

Posted

Started off this morning at 0c, currently wind,y overcast and 2c.

Snow settled to just above the cliffs on the Black isle last nightpost-2744-0-47427300-1395481295_thumb.jppost-2744-0-52657700-1395481353_thumb.jp Ben Wyvis hidden by cloud getting snowed on again this morning

The Cawdor hills were also white to a fairly low level too.post-2744-0-10942800-1395481307_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Also had a half cm of snow this morning at my parents in Aberfeldy though it melted before we left. Back in Dundee cloud is breaking a bit now. 6C with a fresh Westerly breeze.

Posted

A wintry sunset last night with the showers to the east taking on a pink glow from the setting sun,tempersture at that point was 3c.post-2744-0-84977700-1395560675_thumb.jp

A lot of what must have been sleet last night as ground  very wet this morning. However in the last half an hour we have had a light shower of snow and it is currently 0.5c

Have put sowing of spring barley on hold till  early April in view of some of the models showing cooler weather in the next 10 days as spring barley does not like getting cold wet feet and I want  it to grow rapidly when it is sown. N and E winds will always have the last say in the spring here and as I am nearer the North Pole  than Moscow the cold does not have to travel so far and the seas being at their coldest at this time of the year it does not get moderated so much.Winter is  probably going to have its say in  April. 

Lets hope the summer is hot.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A heavy snow shower just now in Crieff after a sunny morning. Remarkably, as it began, the temperature was 8.1C with a DP of -1C, falling to 3.6C/-3C. It would appear winter's not quite finished with us yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A few snaps from yesterday's drive up to Loch Turret with PG junior to play in the snow. Fab!

post-6412-0-64850300-1395576049_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-00363500-1395576115_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-34962300-1395576181_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-51268300-1395576407_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted

Heavy hail/graupel making the place briefly white in seconds.

Edited by 101_North

Posted

nice wee hail shower on the go here but there quite soft more like snow pellets.

well we have waited for 6 months of autumn for some decent runs in the models and they may be starting to come.

most bullish is the ECM

post-18233-0-21787500-1395579689_thumb.gpost-18233-0-11255100-1395579690_thumb.gpost-18233-0-96299600-1395579690_thumb.gpost-18233-0-04020900-1395579699_thumb.gpost-18233-0-82017000-1395579699_thumb.gpost-18233-0-71819500-1395579700_thumb.gpost-18233-0-87302600-1395579654_thumb.gpost-18233-0-82589700-1395579667_thumb.gpost-18233-0-81951200-1395579668_thumb.gpost-18233-0-72057900-1395579669_thumb.gpost-18233-0-56236500-1395579670_thumb.gpost-18233-0-25768100-1395579688_thumb.g

but even the GFS and GEM hinting towards something

post-18233-0-09688200-1395579702_thumb.ppost-18233-0-45685700-1395579701_thumb.p

theres still enough cold air around to make things interesting snow wise but at this time of year unless we see some fronts or really heavy frequent showers it will probably be mostly night for it to settle with how strong the sun is just now but would still be good to have some snow to chase and get this place busy for a change

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 3

Posted

Sweet lord:

Posted Image23rd Mar ECM 00z +240hrs.gif

Surely some mistake? If that stays in place we could be seeing a rather chilly start to April. Coldest April on record coming up? C'mon, we deserve a break Posted Image

Edit: Before anyone thinks I'm forecasting the coldest April on record, I'm not. I'm hopecasting Posted Image

coldest april on record would be good if we can get it after the utter nonsense we have put up with all winter and the PV is bount to be on its way out by now which should allow some blocking our side of the pole for a change.

even just a few days maybe up to a week would do fine just to give us a wee taste before the spring and summer warmth arrives and leaves us waiting till next winter for snow prospects.

Posted